How do you make a map?

Lightning Flash

I've always been curious as to how people have been able to create their own maps. I remember TIS was originally going to release an official map creator for the game, but abandoned it soon after. But I've still seen people talking about and showing their progress on their maps.

How do you create a map and how can I start? How complicated is it to create your own map?

I've been thinking about creating a small map based on the Fallout series; perhaps locations that can be found in the original game, such as Shady Sands, The Hub, Vaults 15, 13, and 8, as well as other locations like Junktown and Necropolis. Also thinking about potentially making my hometown, or at least part of it to get started.

I'm on my phone so bare with me. 

https://pzwiki.net/wiki/Modding#Mapping_Tutorials

What you saw previously was called creative mode that was a in game map editor. It was put on the backburner till a later time. People currently use TileZed which is the official map editor. 

If you check out the link I included you will find some mapping tutorials to get started. There really isn't one tutorial that covers everything and some stuff is out of date yet still contains some useful information.  

I suggest checking out blackbeards video tutorials on that link. It will give you a great idea of what it takes to get started. Also there is a good group of helpful mappers on the PZ discord mapping channel. Between that and the mapping forums you should be able to find most of your questions. 

If you have any more questions let me know and when I get on my laptop later ill explain in more detail.