Cap Levi, Normandy, France

Ayrton Orio

5 hours ago, Ayrton Orio said:

getting used to the tools, testing all i could etc was about 18 months, but I started working on the larger map more reently. (and it shows) 

────────────────────░███░ 
───────────────────░█░░░█░ 
──────────────────░█░░░░░█░ 
─────────────────░█░░░░░█░ 
──────────░░░───░█░░░░░░█░ 
─────────░███░──░█░░░░░█░ 
───────░██░░░██░█░░░░░█░ 
──────░█░░█░░░░██░░░░░█░ 
────░██░░█░░░░░░█░░░░█░ 
───░█░░░█░░░░░░░██░░░█░ 
──░█░░░░█░░░░░░░░█░░░█░ 
──░█░░░░░█░░░░░░░░█░░░█░ 
──░█░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░█░░█░ 
─░█░░░█░░░░██░░░░░░█░░█░ 
─░█░░░░█░░░░░██░░░█░░░█░ 
─░█░█░░░█░░░░░░███░░░░█░ 
░█░░░█░░░██░░░░░█░░░░░█░ 
░█░░░░█░░░░█████░░░░░█░ 
░█░░░░░█░░░░░░░█░░░░░█░ 
░█░█░░░░██░░░░█░░░░░█░ 
─░█░█░░░░░████░░░░██░ 
─░█░░█░░░░░░░█░░██░█░ 
──░█░░██░░░██░░█░░░█░ 
───░██░░███░░██░█░░█░ 
────░██░░░███░░░█░░░█░ 
──────░███░░░░░░█░░░█░ 
──────░█░░░░░░░░█░░░█░ 
──────░█░░░░░░░░░░░░█░ 
──────░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░ 
──────░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░ 
████──░█░████░░░░░░░░█░ 
█──█──████──████░░░░░█░ 
█──█──█──█──█──████████ 
█──█──████──█──█──────█ 
█──█──█──█────██──██──█ 
█──████──█──█──█──────█ 
█─────█──█──█──█──█████ 
███████──████──█──────█ 
──────████──██████████

Some updates:

Thanks to the great Cardenaglo I was able to create more palettes in the rules.txt to create vegetation and tiles from my photoshop file. That led me to improve greatly the fields which was necessary at the very least for orientation as the landscape was getting very monotonous. Now they look good from above and from up close. Some of the cells wil lbe used for houses with gardens (which are scattered all around the map).

I think I'm halfway in the job of recreating 50/60% of the actual crops on the map. That will be enough to create a sense of diversity and interest.

i have added a crop version of the data map that I use to define which crops is which, but also cemeteris, agricultural industies, social housing, etc. 

I have also been experimenting with the rules.txt to get objects that are not vegetation but could be used as is to populate the map: graveyards, cityscape, new biomes, etc

pz1.thumb.jpg.3fd669b3481ba57ed41e8aa43ea80ca7.jpg

pz7.thumb.jpg.061d4ca5a1faa16e3cf40796c81cf436.jpgpz8.thumb.jpg.9b3139ac3216e3f7a2aa18205fdb6c6d.jpg

i was unsure if I could use the rock tiles to do the shoreline but it's turning out ok now I can do through photoshop. you will notice also the moor biome around beahces too.

I have pretty much finished the first two main islands (I still need to fix a bug while spawning charcter and object though)

pz2.thumb.jpg.d0eab4003060d5d049c10f0738f61cf6.jpg

And even if it takes ages, the city of Cherbourg is turning from a mess to a clean organized city, i will keep that for another day.

As soon as I fix the bug, I will upload the map with character spawns only on the islands to start with, and if it's ok I will expand.

pz9.jpg

pz6.jpg

pz5.jpg

pz4.jpg

pz3.jpg

the data map shows every different crops field, so for instance, yellow is wheat, red is cabbage, orange is for cattle, salmon is vineyards, etc.

Also some of the colors show specific areas like: cemeteries, agricultural industry, social housing, harbour, parks, etc.

I will have to map about 50% of crop field to really give a sense to the landscape, so far I think I'm at 25-30%.

8 hours ago, Ciber Ninja said:

Please tell me you are not detailing all those farm plots manually?!

Nah, I modified the rules.txt to have more control on the veg and terrain map, the "only" manual task I have to do regarding crops is to lasso select them in photoshop, which for me is way faster than Tilezed as I have more than a decade of exp in PS.

It still take a while though. :/ 

i have attached an image where you can see all the different new "biomes"

hfg1.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Some updates:

I have finished mapping the fields, and specifiying each (that's the picture where it looks like someone threw up on it), before applying crop field types to each cell, I have to do the roads, you can see the progress on one of the picture. I have also attached a zoomed in version to give a sense of the final density. each color corresponds to a different type and size of road. Some will have a ditch, some will have trees, some will have road lights. Eventually there will be 5 types of roads.

Untitlfgdfged-1.jpg

Untitledfsdfd-1.jpg

Unfgdfgdfgtitled-1.jpg

Some some updates:

I have finally finished the "data pass" where I was locating roads, fields, etc.

I have been able to discriminate fields and roads to give a sense of geography, otherwise it's just a maze.

good news is that it won't take me too long to make corrections now, as I have kept the data clean.

In my previous attempt I had added many fields with actual crops, problem is that it was slowing down radically the system, now edible crops are really reduced in number and the other fields do not cause slowing down.

the last image shows one tile in the WorldED, it was not modified in TileZed, so essentially all the map is consistently like that (except for the city and residential areas that need the new buildings to be done.)

it takes around 40 minutes to drive from East to West, without losing yourself (good luck with that)

I will release the map in the workshop as soon as I have added some buildings and spawn/loot points, Cherbourg will remain quite empty for now. I will open a Patreon after that to see if there is any traction to the map, and I will try to decide what amount of money should be reached to achieve the main city... It's such a huge undertaking that I need to find some way to compensate the amount of time required. 

Sable0sdsqdsqdsqd_prep.thumb.jpg.b63a9e32fe0c04be2b0f471d6b34e329.jpgUntitdfdfdled-1.thumb.jpg.a62f0f1caaddafc5e5498496aee00823.jpgUntitledfgfgfgfg-1.thumb.jpg.25d815d2d72359f8ee4a66064ed3ad58.jpgUntitlehjhhd-1.thumb.jpg.20535e8f77ad92e5d622e67ee6776e14.jpgUntitleghfghghd-1.thumb.jpg.15a6052211fdc079505867f3f651231e.jpgUntitlvbdfgdfgdfged-1.thumb.jpg.c75afad8ccb2dcb314587ef6b80359ef.jpg