Food Preservation

Veromaye

Why does jerky and pickles exists but not a method to make them? I think those are really important because I've seen long term surviving specially in winter gets really hard getting food etc. Specially if we add the fact that when winter arrives you won't have any method of making food ( don't know if fishing would be available, if someone knows let me know )
Also I'm not informed that pickles don't 'spoil'?? lol. So I'm unsure why pickles don't. 
I would talk more about jars but we all know that Jars are a problem apart because they're rare to find and this also needs to be fixed considering peanut butter, remoulade and mayonnaise are in jars ( at least that's how i see them in the image )

Again, with the food preservation methods, I hope if it's introduced, it goes with a variety of foods and methods ( salty and sweet )
Big examples are dried fruits like apple, peach, berries, also mushrooms to use that ton of food you can find in supermarkets but since it's too much most of the time it goes to waste :|  . ( it makes me sad every time I see the supermarket full with rotten food ) 

I mean, I NEED THIS IN MY PZ LIFE 

108564.jpg.6c39465fa04980d36b39acd5a88766ff.jpg

PCBJ_Classic_Original_Product_BigSlab_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.177c130807b7aabaa6f06e606eaff33f.jpg

Also if food preservation is not introduced at least I hope to see a upgraded version of the jerky food item and maybe dried fruit products? I don't know how much common they're in the US tho. 

1471452299695_1582482642266143023_525w.jpg.cc8a38d59729effc9fc0e54387baeabe.jpg

30 minutes ago, Veromaye said:

Specially if we add the fact that when winter arrives you won't have any method of making food ( don't know if fishing would be available, if someone knows let me know )

Farming is extremely efficient to survive winter, and it appears Fishing is not longer a way to survive winter (i can't tell you if you just drop to 0% to catch anything, but it's now very very very..........., very low rate.

32 minutes ago, Veromaye said:

I would talk more about jars but we all know that Jars are a problem apart because they're rare to find and this also needs to be fixed considering peanut butter, remoulade and mayonnaise are in jars ( at least that's how i see them in the image )

Rare is quite an euphemism... The really bad part is that jar lid (also required) aren't common too. Basically, you need not one but two items which can't be find in the game.

I really like your idea about getting back jars from peanut butter, etc.

8 minutes ago, agreubill said:

Farming is extremely efficient to survive winter, and it appears Fishing is not longer a way to survive winter (i can't tell you if you just drop to 0% to catch anything, but it's now very very very..........., very low rate.

Rare is quite an euphemism... The really bad part is that jar lid (also required) aren't common too. Basically, you need not one but two items which can't be find in the game.

I really like your idea about getting back jars from peanut butter, etc.

Uhhh well, in my three saves, I've only found 2 jar lids and one jar.. And I'm very much into searching all the houses and any container. 

Well, the problem with farming is that... there will be a point that you won't be able to conserve the food. I don't know if you can farm during winter.. And that's where this method is needed. Mostly because people might or might not be into farming and you need to give different methods of ( real ) surviving, specially when having tons of foods in the houses, supermarkets and any food store to go waste.. 
Lets not forget that farming tends to be a very tedious process and it gets harder when there's the water shutoff.. I don't know about techniques but it takes a lot of time and it feels bad as a simple farming process. I guess that's the point of it because it adds difficulty. But having no way for food preserving makes the farming a waste of time.. 

13 minutes ago, Veromaye said:

I've only found 2 jar lids and one jar..

You're lucky/Your loot ratio is higher than that what i use :-D

13 minutes ago, Veromaye said:

I don't know if you can farm during winter..

If i said it's efficient to survive winter, it implies that you actually can farm in winter, indeed... /cough

W/o any food preservation sustem, potatoes with a near 25 days before stale/rot is extremely resistant.

You also can use the good ol' generator+fridge to get some food preservation, even if it's obviously easir with the "Pump over" mod. I let you work on your Eletricity skill.

If Fishing & Forage are of no use in winter, Trapping works anytime (use the trap stick if you're in urban environnement, it's decent).

If you want alternate methods of food preservation, i'm afraid you have to look for mods actually (there's at least 2 that revolves about that in Steam). Including one about that jerky meat thing, if i'm correct.

36 minutes ago, agreubill said:

You're lucky/Your loot ratio is higher than that what i use :-D

If i said it's efficient to survive winter, it implies that you actually can farm in winter, indeed... /cough

W/o any food preservation sustem, potatoes with a near 25 days before stale/rot is extremely resistant.

You also can use the good ol' generator+fridge to get some food preservation, even if it's obviously easir with the "Pump over" mod. I let you work on your Eletricity skill.

If Fishing & Forage are of no use in winter, Trapping works anytime (use the trap stick if you're in urban environnement, it's decent).

If you want alternate methods of food preservation, i'm afraid you have to look for mods actually (there's at least 2 that revolves about that in Steam). Including one about that jerky meat thing, if i'm correct.

Uhhh okay, I thought when you said it's efficient to survive in winter was that you can farm before winter, not during winter. 

Like i said before, it wouldn't kill to expand the preservation system, since it's a very important method of survival, way more common and handy than farming and probably a better method for other kind of players. Specially since you can preserve fish, meat of any kind ( frog, rat etc ) and fruits for a better use.. 
If not then at least expand the food resources. 

I don't think this should be implemented via mods. But that's just my opinion. :| 

We need to be able to extract the brine from Pickle Jars, use the brine to make pickles, cucumbers required. Also we need some pickle jars, and brine.

Then we can use carpentry and make smokehouses, then we can smoke the meats and apply salt on fish to preserve it, salted fish and smoked meat. Although you'll require some water to soak out salted fish, which takes hours in real life. Then afterwards it is safe for consumption but will have a small dehydration thing because there may be some salt still left.

Eating salty fish should make you superbly thirsty, maybe the Parched moodle.

The smokehouse will be a small shed, such as the outhouse, where there would be a campfire or something, and a huge rack of meat above it, you'll place it there, and wait for it to smoke. The meat will take either 1 or 14 days based on the amount of fuel, and the type of meat. It's basically jerky by that point.

Good idea.

Archived