Mod Request: Death penalty options?

Aralvar

Hi there. I'll be honest, I haven't purchased the game yet. I'm not a fan of permadeath at all so I've decided against it. Now, I'm expecting a similar reaction to, ahem, "BLARGH PLAY A DIFFERENT GAME YOU PUSSY THAT'S WHAT PZ IS ALL ABOUT". I just thought that since I would be interested in the game if there were a less "hardcore" death penalty, I would go ahead and post a request in the mod request forum.

I'm looking for something like "losing everything but equipped items on death", "losing all but your weapons on death", "losing all your food an ammunition on death", and so on. Ideally, I'd like there to be several options, but I'm okay with a single one that suits me and other players that are not interested in the permadeath feature. Please don't bother responding if your reaction is similar to what I've posted above.

I would love to be able to get into this game and others like it but I'm simply not interested in a non-optional permanent death feature. I like to have some sort of continuity with some of my items, that's just my opinion on it. Please do not suggest that I simply try another game, since I think we both know that a game does not exist that suits what I am looking for right now. Besides, I've seen that Project Zomboid is a unique game with a lot of potential and there's nothing else like it anyways, it's just that there's just one thing I really don't like about it.

Thank you to those of you who have at least taken the time to read this! =)

-Justin

There is a playing-option called "sandbox" where your character does die the permadeath, but your new character spawns in the same continuity (without the skillpoints etc) and you can just recover the loot from your body and obtain your old characters safehouse as your own again. If that does it for you 

If you play in Sandbox, you won't loose anything except your character stats. You will be free to get all your items back (including the one you were carrying on) since the map is not regenerated and you spawn on it.

Edit :argh ! grilled

Thanks for the good feedback guys! I'd really like to be able to keep a few items, lose some stats, and have the rest of the stuff I lost be unable to be recovered from my body. I do want death to be meaningful still, I just don't like losing every item I have. I like the continuity of respawning with, at the very least, the primary and secondary weapons I had equipped when I was alive (if you can equip primary and secondary weapons I mean, as I said I haven't bought the game yet, heh).

This can be quite easily modded in - save items and stats out to ModData tables, then populate inventory and stats on new character creation. One of the modders may do it for you, or you can have a go yourself ;)

That sounds great! I have no idea how to do it myself, but hopefully someone is willing to teach me or do it for me, thank you for at least letting me know it's a possibility!

you can do this on survival mode too, when you die and the game closes just load the same world again and you will start as another character in a different house, walk back to your old house and all ur stuff will still be in it.

providing there is no "NPC found your stash" meta event lol

Sounds like what you're wanting could be somewhat accomplished by the features in the game, as described above.

If you'd rather not keep everything you can always either just loot your body, or just loot your house, and then move on to somewhere else.

At some point a modder might pick this up, but it might not be in the near future. Many of the members here do indeed prefer permadeath, so it could be a bit hard to find someone with the interest in doing it.

At any rate, best of luck, feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

Sounds like what you're wanting could be somewhat accomplished by the features in the game, as described above.

If you'd rather not keep everything you can always either just loot your body, or just loot your house, and then move on to somewhere else.

At some point a modder might pick this up, but it might not be in the near future. Many of the members here do indeed prefer permadeath, so it could be a bit hard to find someone with the interest in doing it.

At any rate, best of luck, feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

I'm absolutely fine with people that do like permadeath, but I do hope to find someone who is either interested in doing this for me or showing me how. I posted a question in the modding help forum in case anyone is interested in showing me how. Once again, I appreciate the great feedback!

PUSSY. DON'T PLAY IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT.

Heh just kiddin. I agree with ya, but I'm satisfied by the fact that you can loot your old character and reclaim your safehouse after death.

If you want, you could try "zSpawn" which is a menu that pops up allowing you to equip any item available. I use this from time to time to expedite certain building endeavors, so maybe you can use it to, say, equip a pistol and bat after death?

I dunno, just spitballin here!

PUSSY. DON'T PLAY IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT.

Heh just kiddin. I agree with ya, but I'm satisfied by the fact that you can loot your old character and reclaim your safehouse after death.

If you want, you could try "zSpawn" which is a menu that pops up allowing you to equip any item available. I use this from time to time to expedite certain building endeavors, so maybe you can use it to, say, equip a pistol and bat after death?

I dunno, just spitballin here!

Heh. That's a good idea, but I would really rather do it more officially. Especially since it wouldn't be able to keep the condition of the items I lost. Ontogenesis said it should be a fairly easy mod to just edit the text files, so I'm really hoping someone will come along who is knowledgeable with modding and is willing to help.

Is there currently a mod out there that lets you use the same character after death without having to create a new one?

Is there currently a mod out there that lets you use the same character after death without having to create a new one?

Nope and it would be kind of hard to mod because the "save on death" is hardcoded IIRC.

As I said in the other topic, saving the items is doable with PZ's current modding capabilities.

Nope and it would be kind of hard to mod because the "save on death" is hardcoded IIRC.

As I said in the other topic, saving the items is doable with PZ's current modding capabilities.

Yeah, you would have to block Death Itself.  Which can be tricky.  When this discussion came up, that was the first thing that came to mind.  I don't know if something like a health check on tick could do it.  I've only defeated death mod-wise by making the character invincible in the first place, like the Alien Orphan in Xmod.

Note that if your new penalty is "lose all your stuff", you really simplify the whole "save you stuff on death" thing ;)  

The other problem would be that IIRC, teleporting a player doesn't really play nice either.  If it did, I'd be tempted to do a mod where upon health being in a certain state you say wake up in the Medical Center or something.