Something in the Air

EnigmaGrey

7478adbf03b80179e758502909a0d1a41580e625 

How do all. Happy Thanksgiving to our American survivors, and indeed to those of us who choose to give thanks at alternate times of year.

38 Patch Bizness

First off, just a quick note to say that in the past week we’ve updated Build 38 with a couple of extra patches, as there were still a few MP bumps and issues that were niggling at us. Details for both can be found behind the links: 38.29 and 38.30. Highlights include generator fixes, outdoor lighting oddities and hopefully some stuff helpful for servers. We’ve had a few hiccups with Mac builds the last few days, which should be resolved now and hopefully GOG builds will be updated with these today.

Vehicles Build 27 (aka 39.27)

We released Build 27 of the Vehicles alpha today (access details here), and it contains a few performance improving aspects – although, as detailed below, the bigger-hit work on this is still to be integrated.

Elsewhere the build contains a few other system tweaks. First off there are updates to the naming, spawning and operation of car keys – and also the addition of the game having your character walk to the relevant part of the car when installing/removing. It also syncs up lots of aspects of the Mechanic and vehicles system between co-op and MP players – from engine temperature, to tire inflation. The full changelist can be found here.

Next up we’ll be adding in crafting/repairing level requirements for the Mechanic Skill, alongside dripfeeding in the optimizations we’ve been brewing with ChrisW, Steve et al.  More on which below.

Optimization fun

Regular viewers will know that we have not one but two mega-experts helping out with the game these days – both established Technical Directors within the world of gaming. Mark is tasked with getting animations in order for the builds beyond 39, while Steve is addressing optimization for vehicles.

This past Friday, with the help of copious tea and loud metal, he made some huge strides in improving our map streaming – which will pay dividends once integrated into Build 39. There’s still a fair amount of work to be done: playing coder ‘whack-a-mole’ with issues that crop up due to the changes, and trying to eliminate nasty locks between the code’s loader thread and the main thread. With that balancing act still to come, then, the improvements let him run the game so it ran like this:

We can’t guarantee this level of perfection when it comes to the main game, especially at the highest resolutions, but it does seem that we’re making good progress towards nullifying stutters and pauses – as well as allowing for speedier/smoother vehicle movement around the map.

Weather upgrade

With vehicles, meanwhile, come required vehicle hazards. As such, returning from a spell on the sidelines, Turbo is back and bringing a few additions to his existing weather system.

We’ve always needed stronger indications of seasonal change, and likewise new weather effects. Although we’ve always had snow appear on the ground – we’ve never actually shown it fall.

Likewise, we’ve always wanted players to wake up to mists and fogs that’ll dissipate as the day goes on – that’ll hopefully add an extra level of fear to your daily chores exploration on the days it descends.

In the video it is at its more extreme levels, however we can also add more subtle mists and fogs to add additional ambiences to the game.

We’ve always been quite rigorous when it comes to having weather authentic to the area that the PZ map covers (in 1993, which is close to our start year, Muld had 11 days of fog) and currently there’s an internal debate as to how much poetic license we can take with this to bolster gameplay. In any eventuality we intend to add a dose of it to the vehicles build in the near future, and it may also make for engaging new Challenge modes in times to come.

Today’s featured image from Biker. A general list of stuff added to PZ, and vids of features being worked on, is kept here – so you don’t have to plough through endless dev blogs for info. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right here! Our Discord is open for chat and hijinks too. Ooh, and could PZ user maps make the leap to la belle France?

Holy crap! I've been wanting this for so long! Thank you devs!

I have a few questions:

Besides visibility, will driving in snow be harder, as in slippery?

Also I noticed in the demo video that the footsteps still sound like they are concrete. Do any plans include adding a snow crunching noise to those tiles? In the same vein, will there winter storm sounds that go with it, as in wind howling, birds STFU, etc?

I am so excite. Must play. Wow.

untitledfgdfg.png

Edited by Sparrow

Great Thursdoid :D The overlays look awesome :)

It would be cool if there was some kind of pain overlay (like red encroaching on the side of the screen or something) as well as even one for super sleepy (black in this case). The pain one would be a good indicator to the player of an injury as well as a cool way to make it affect their awareness more. The extremely sleepy one would be just to help bring down awareness currently but if passing out was ever added back into the games plans it would be a good indicator of when threat would start to become a risk :)

27 minutes ago, Kuren said:

Great Thursdoid :D The overlays look awesome :)

It would be cool if there was some kind of pain overlay (like red encroaching on the side of the screen or something) as well as even one for super sleepy (black in this case). The pain one would be a good indicator to the player of an injury as well as a cool way to make it affect their awareness more. The extremely sleepy one would be just to help bring down awareness currently but if passing out was ever added back into the games plans it would be a good indicator of when threat would start to become a risk :)

It sounds like you know this, but in case you don't, that is EXACTLY what the Immersive Overlays mod does. Plus some additional overlays for other stuff too.

On 24/11/2017 at 7:41 PM, trombonaught said:

It sounds like you know this, but in case you don't, that is EXACTLY what the Immersive Overlays mod does. Plus some additional overlays for other stuff too.

The sleeping overlay is pretty damn scarry and oppressive in that one, for sure... The perception area is soooo reduced, that's a real nightmare to fall in that state...

Hi developers
I buy Project Zomboid in Desura Wed, 1 May 2013

If you take a look at the date you can imagine what i think
I feel very sad about the speed of the develoment, i think its very very slow
9 friends (i recomend the game and they buy it) think the same (some sh** on me for recommend this game and make they buy it)
This is my personal opinion im respect your work but i think if there is 9 and me thinking this, for sure there is a lot more of costumers thinking that

3 years ago your team talk about NPCs,
2 years ago your team talk about new animations new blood sistem etc
Well im sad about all this and i need to comunicate this to your team.
Right now i leave this community maybe when i got 45 years (im near) i can play this game with all the content and im a finished and polished version
Bye and continue with your work.

3 hours ago, Han said:

Hi developers
I buy Project Zomboid in Desura Wed, 1 May 2013

If you take a look at the date you can imagine what i think
I feel very sad about the speed of the develoment, i think its very very slow
9 friends (i recomend the game and they buy it) think the same (some sh** on me for recommend this game and make they buy it)
This is my personal opinion im respect your work but i think if there is 9 and me thinking this, for sure there is a lot more of costumers thinking that

3 years ago your team talk about NPCs,
2 years ago your team talk about new animations new blood sistem etc
Well im sad about all this and i need to comunicate this to your team.
Right now i leave this community maybe when i got 45 years (im near) i can play this game with all the content and im a finished and polished version
Bye and continue with your work.

Not the place to cry, make a thread or a complaint somewhere else then here or create a new topic. :) Bye.

5 hours ago, Legoland99 said:

Not the place to cry, make a thread or a complaint somewhere else then here or create a new topic. :) Bye.

A moderator put green light to my comment (because "Your comment its awaiting a Moderator to be public" message after i post) in this topic then this is a place to say my opinion about the game
Its not a cry dont try to start a flame.

Mature and accept that this is not just your personal forum
 Bye.

4 hours ago, Han said:

A moderator put green light to my comment (because "Your comment its awaiting a Moderator to be public" message after i post) in this topic then this is a place to say my opinion about the game
Its not a cry dont try to start a flame.

Mature and accept that this is not just your personal forum
 Bye.

"Right now i leave this community" why are you coming back to check the forum though ? Seems to me more like you're looking for attention rather than making a swift approach at the subject and keeping to what you said above about coming back in a few years. :-o

funny-cat-laughing-so-hard-6722.jpg

Edited by Legoland99

On 11/28/2017 at 8:51 PM, Legoland99 said:

"Right now i leave this community" why are you coming back to check the forum though ? Seems to me more like you're looking for attention rather than making a swift approach at the subject and keeping to what you said above about coming back in a few years. :-o

funny-cat-laughing-so-hard-6722.jpg

@Legoland99 Isn't it obvious or are you just trying to start something? He is refuting your statement towards his post (which appears valid and seems to give feedback to the developers) and being mature about it. Your image/reply to his reply is however, not mature. Good day.