ORGM Rechambered

Fenris_Wolf

9 minutes ago, josko_91 said:

So how far are you with the next version of ORGM?

Next update was supposed to be more of a patch, few bugfixes and features that didn't make it in time for last release. Its not that I'm waiting, just I haven't had time to finish it off. Its mostly done just need some changes to the new tooltip designs and polishing off the code.

Sweet! Looking forward to the next version and the changelog!

Btw, are you planing to make new animations when the anim tools get released? Its something I have been thinking about for a long time, if there is a vanilla animation I dont like, I want to try and make a better one or so something specific to ORGM. 

For example, realistic reload animations, have magazine pouches visibly equiped on the character and seeing the character take one of the magazines to reload.

Same with handgun holsters, when weapon is not equiped it is holstered being visible and if you dont have a holster, the character puts the gun behind his pants like in movies :P

now, I dont know what animations they will add and if they will look good but there will certainly be weapon animations that can be made to look cooler and realistic!

very excited to see how it all will turn out to be :)

hopefully, creating brand new animations shouldnt be too hard :P

v3.09.2-Stable is up.

Major features include merging of Filibuster Rhyme's awesome models, all models now properly match the firearm.

New tooltips! 4 styles to choose from: classic (the old style), full (much more informative with colored bars), numeric (raw numbers instead of bars), and a dynamic style that changes the information shown as you level (this style is a WIP prototype, and will probably change in the future). In Multiplayer the tooltiip style is set by the server's options.

Mechanics tweaks and additional configuration options.

Fully update RU, CH and CN translations, thanks to Lotus Elise (RU) and Cleave (CH, CN)

Full changelog:

Spoiler

* New Tooltips for firearms and attachments! In 4 (yes, 4) optional styles:

Classic: The old style. Please note Classic will be replaced in the future by "Minimal"

Full: The new default style. Bars are displayed for a number of various stats, with
bar color changing from red to green depending on that stats value (bad/good)

Numeric: Identical to "Full", but shows colored numeric values instead of bars.

Dynamic: swings from 'Minimal' to 'Full' to 'Numeric' depending on a players skill level.

Important Notes: The info displayed, and the specifics of the dynamic-style are not finalized.
This is a preview. Also damage and range will NOT show on a firearm until it has had a round
in the chamber.

* Added tons of new models by Filibuster Rhymes. All models have now been updated!

* Decreased capacity on Stevens 320 to 5 (was 8)

* Sorted options screen into groups

* Added full auto hit chance penalty to options screen

* Added sound multiplier option for Nolan's Silencer mod to control effectiveness of suppressors.

* Removed UseBarrelLengthModifiers setting. Barrel lengths are part of the core mechanics.

* Adjusted firearm rarity tables to fit better with the year. Less select fire variants spawning
in police stations.

* Adjusted Movement Bonus (AimTime) vs weight. Heavier weapons are now correctly harder to aim
while moving. Barrel length is now a highly important factor, with every inch subtracting 1 from
the bonus.

* Fixed bug in "Use Only" context menu

* Fixed bug in requesting server settings, not removing request event.

* Fixed bug in "Limit Manufacture Year" option not properly applying.

* Fixed missing manufacture year for SPAS-12

* Fixed Skorpion to have a select-fire switch (was full-auto only)

* Renamed PiercingBullets key to Penetration in ORGMData_Ammo.lua

Screenshots of the new tooltips in 'Full' style:

Spoiler

tooltip1.png.adb9d7e8a9c06b1274fcb90e2d1bd292.png

tooltip2.png.c2bb37639ef5d5674d2ab1a8005effd0.png

tooltip3.png.7fb106526ae9857687319a03711ce855.png

Edited by Fenris_Wolf

2 hours ago, josko_91 said:

Can't wait to play this mod with the Animation update but that will probably be months away lol.

Yep, and updates to ORGM to make it work. I decided since next time around I don't have to worry about breaking things like save compatibility, it was time to make some drastic changes to the mod. But given the effort involved in some of these changes, it may delay the release...so people might (good chance) will have to play anim build without ORGM for a while, least while its still in IWBUMS.

There's tons of crazy stuff in the works for v4 of the mod that will be worth the wait though. Multiple capacity magazines, Dozens of variants of each gun, different models offered by the manufacturer..with different barrel lengths, calibers and features (theres 20 colt anaconda's on the list alone!), including some extremely rare collectibles.

A new system is in place for generating many variants of a gun or magazine with minimal effort (other then research involved), and a powerful new spawn system to allow all these new variant without flooding and diluting the loot tables.

Just going to take a bit of time to hammer it all out.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, josko_91 said:

and add it to the main game

We should hope not. Getting absorbed into the base would not be beneficial to the health of the mod:

The devs have stated "no real firearm model names" will appear.

Its designed to appeal to a specific audience, and some of the mechanics are overly complex for the base game. Much of it would need to be trimmed for the average user. Some of the code would without a doubt be useful, but a lot would have to go. The mod leans more in the favour of realism instead of easy playability.

Its insanely difficult to balance, so much that all stats for weapons has to be automated, and even then that's not enough. Several dozen configuration options had to be added.

By being outside the base game, it doesn't have to conform to the rest of the code, in syntax style, logic, or methods. The freedom to break these rules is where a lot of the mod's benefits and features come from.  As a mod, it doesn't need to fit anyone's visions or plans but my own.

I would actually prefer to go the other way and abstract it way from the base game as much as possible: only interfacing with pz's code at a few key chokepoints, making it easier to maintain across large pz changes and easier port the code to other projects in the future.

I could go on listing reasons. It really is better suited to a addon unless the game was specifically about guns. Staying as a mod it makes for a perfect test ground of what works and what doesn't. While some of the mods code would without a doubt be useful but i think the real value is what can be learned from the endless balancing and playtesting that has been done.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah makes sense. I dont mind it being a mod but my point is, ORGM makes zomboid so much better, realistic and fun. Being able to find tons of different guns, magazines, having to put bullets into magazines and tons of different ammo caliber for each gun, I just love it and it's realistic, something I think zomboid aims to be and having guns not use real names but " pistol, shotgun, rifle " that's just so boring! But I think the reason why is licence for real gun names right? 

So in the end as you said, it's much better to have it as mod.

Everyone should have this mod imo, zomboid is not the same without it ^_^

Now with the release of the AnimTools and IWBUMS 41 itself, I see amazing times ahead! So many things I wanna try animate for ORGM, like having visible gun holsters, knive holsters, showing your shotgun/assault rifle/sniper/smg on your back with a sling being visible like the backpack will be. 

Then animate various reload animations, pretty much all gun related animations since TIS probably wont include weapon animations right away and ORGM will require some extra weapon animations like holding a magazine and load each bullet, attaching and detaching various weapon accessories.

Would love to create and animate an M134 Minigun and then giving it unique zombie death anims ^^

Modeling, texturing and animation probably goes hand in hand, so I would have to first create the Minigun model, then apply textures and then lastly work on animation for it.

Gonna be tons of work but it will be fun as hell and damn worth it :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another question, are guns spawning on dead zombies that spawn when the map generates supposed to be vanilla? Stuff in regular containers seems fine but all of these pre-made corpses seem to spawn vanilla guns.

• 1 month later...

Is the Kriss Vector supposed to have only 13 rounds in it's magazine? Seems awfully low. Always thought that was way too low for a Sub-machinegun. It's the same thing for the CBR version :/

On another note, I hope we will see AA12 both with 20 and 32 drum magazines, but I guess that depends on Filibuster if he wants to do the model for that. Also some more Light Machineguns would be nice!

1 hour ago, josko_91 said:

Is the Kriss Vector supposed to have only 13 rounds in it's magazine?

Unfortunately, yes (for now). Because it needs to use the .45ACP Glock mags, and multi capacity mags aren't a thing in the current version. Same reason the Glock 18 is forced to use the mags for the G17.

The good news though I have expanded and reduced cap mags working for v4.0, including a spanking new 10 and 30 round .45ACP glock mags for the vectors.

Not the first person to mention the AA12 to me lately. Something I'd like to add in eventually, but atm is more of a "want" then a "need" for the mod. Some areas of the orgm arsenal are still lacking and need to be filled out first (specifically breech-loaders). Additional LMG's also fall into the 'want' category. Plus I'd like to have proper LMG mechanics implemented (like actual belts). On the upside, due to the mag changes the M249 now accepts the 200 round belts, and any STANAG magazine (like its supposed to!) in size variations of 5 to 100 rounds.

The downside is eventually, some poor bastard is going to be stuck with nothing a M249 and a 5 round STANAG...

Edited by Fenris_Wolf

Oh man can't wait for 4.0, sounds like lots of fun!

LMG's having actual belts are great, hopefully they will have a chance to spawn by themselves and not just with the box.

ORGM with animations plus additional ORGM specific animations will be sick ^^

8 hours ago, josko_91 said:

LMG's having actual belts are great, hopefully they will have a chance to spawn by themselves and not just with the box.

The M249 reloading has bugged the hell out of me for ages. Besides it supposed to use the belts or STANAG mags, the box fits a 200 round disintegrating link belt. It should be spitting out both empty cases and the links. The box itself is just for convenience and entirely optional. There's no rule that belts can only be 200 rounds long, that's just what fits in the box. A 1000 round belt should be perfectly viable if you have enough links to build it.

Probably going to require some serious black magic sorcery to make it work visually with build 41 though.

Yeah has bugged me too :p

when you say black magic, you mean animations? If so yeah, have to make custom animations for holding the belts around your arms and depending how long the belt is, have different animations to show that but I supposed it would have to be capped to something like 1000 round belts if not, have to animate belts that take over the whole screen lol, im sure someone will try that lol

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, huge fan of the mod! Its gonna be hard playing the new build waiting for this to be updated for it (assuming it'll be incompatible).

Anyway, I just wanted to pitch something and or see if its even viable. I was watching the stream of the new build and saw mark running around with the pitchfork (spear animations) and thought, what if bayonets are possible? Yes I'm aware all/most military AR's don't have bayonet lugs these days, but all the good old guns do (Garand, mosin, springfield 1903, AKM's, FAL's I think). If it worked we could use lets say a bayonet'ed M1 Garand as a melee weapon first and only firing it as an emergency. And to switch between bayonet and shooting could in theory be as simple as changing fire modes. Not to mention it would be a pretty cool having that big of an incentive to use the old guns over the new. And to keep it from being OP every time you use it it'll degrade the condition of the gun etc.

Food for thought! Keep up the good work! Very excited for high cap glock mags!

22 hours ago, Max Dickings said:

Anyway, I just wanted to pitch something and or see if its even viable.

I believe the devs have plans for this mechanic, so its a wait and see for now. Personally I'd love a mosin with a bayonet..the 29" barrelled version has the highest damage per shot in the mod (for now)

On 9/26/2019 at 10:39 AM, Fenris_Wolf said:

I believe the devs have plans for this mechanic, so its a wait and see for now. Personally I'd love a mosin with a bayonet..the 29" barrelled version has the highest damage per shot in the mod (for now)

just made this account to tell you keeping up the good work you have done, totally brings more choices to paint the road red.

speaking of bayonets, i was think of an idea where you take two mags (AKM or STANAG) and have duct tape attach to them to have like a jungle style mag or shell caddies (competitive shooting gear) things that could help with reloading single bullets or mags faster while on the run.

• 4 weeks later...

Since its been a while since I properly gave a mod status update (beyond discord chats or random workshop comments), its probably time to post one on the b41 / ORGM 4.0 update. There's still a ton of work to do before we have a working beta.

WARNING: long read below....

First thing worth mentioning is that OrMtnMan has stepped back into the fray and has been a massive help in getting things ready.

With serious changes to the vanilla firearm code + movement mechanics in b41 the very core of the mod is no longer valid. The firing logic no longer fits, nor does its old methods of dynamically calculating many of the stats and how the firearm interacts with the players movements. Most of the mod needs to be redesigned (and re-imagined) from scratch.

When b42 comes around with the hunting and further firearm changes, we could very well be in the same position we are now...having to rewrite everything again. Given the fact we need to redesign now, and possibly again in b42, both me and OrMtnMan agree the time is now to make some serious design changes to minimize the potential damage from future updates. Thus ORGM has been split into 3 separate projects:

Realistic Firearm Framework

All firing logic, core mechanics and everything that makes ORGM truly unique has been split into a new project, the Realistic Firearm Framework (github link) or RFF. All Zomboid specific code and concepts have been removed. Instead of calculating stats like range in PZ tiles, or damage in PZ units, it does calculations in a more natural format (feet, ft/lbs energy, fps velocities etc). 

This will insulate the core mechanics and concepts from any future PZ changes, and allows for automated testing of the code components and logic, something much more difficult when the code was littered with PZ specific functions and concepts.  New features can be added with a drastically reduced testing period.

The RFF is designed to be a application independent framework for realistic mechanics in any game or application that supports Lua, from 2d turn based strategy games to 3d FPS. (naturally open source, MIT license)

The Data

The second project to come out of the split is the data sets. The list of guns and everything we know about them, as well as cartridge specifications. For the last few versions, ORGM has defined is weapons based on the physical properties (feed system types, features, barrel lengths etc) instead of PZ specific stats.  The data for v4.0 is massively larger then previous versions of the mod, and since there's nothing Zomboid specific in the data, having it specifically tied to ORGM didn't make sense. These datasets can't really be included in the RFF either, since we'd like to avoid including trademarked names in a opensource framework.

So the data is being separated and placed in a database format, that should eventually be a useful resource for shooters and gun nuts in general.  Right now theres over 170 calibers registered in the data, complete with SAAMI and CIP designations,  pressure ratings (both SAAMI and CIP), nominal bullet diameters, twist rates, cartridge capacity, links to wikipedia articles and CIP TDCC chamber and cartridge diagrams and specifications. 

The gun data likewise gets more in depth then previous versions,  listing multiple variants (almost 100 AK's atm, thanks to OrMtnMan's assistance), fire modes, barrel lengths, sight types, finishes, rail systems, stock and grip types, and lots more...

Not all of the data will end up being used in the mod, but its giving us a wide selection of items we can include later with most of the work already done.  At some point I'll provide a link to the data sets for people to browse, but not yet.

ORGM

With the separation of the core logic and data, the mod becomes a bridge (or interface wrapper) between PZ and the new RFF core, translating RFF stats (like projectile velocity and energy, or reaction times) into PZ specific stats. UI elements, context menus and all the PZ specific stuff will be contained and isolated in the mod.

When PZ changes any potential damage to the mod will be limited and much easier to fix. On top of that, we'll be able to include features and mechanics in the core RFF that PZ may-not-yet support (but possibly will) such as mechanics for shooting from the hip or prone, allowing us to get ahead of the game. The drawback to the new design means a longer initial delay of a working 41 version. But hopefully the new mechanics and the even crazier level of detail will make it worth the wait. Lately I've been attempting to add a basic (but remaining realistic) interior ballistics simulation that would allow for accurate handloading mechanics.