ORGM Rechambered

Fenris_Wolf

1 hour ago, gta111 said:

Just an idea i really want to see, being able to chamber a bullet with not magazine, ie open the slide of a handgun and drop in a bullet.

Its on the todo list

Of course by 'list' what I really mean is theres a little comment I left in the code:

-- TODO: if slide open and player has bullets insert round into chamber option ^_^

Hey man, for a while I was helping Ormtnman directly. We keep correspondence but as soon as I finished college my priorities needed a major shift. I know Khaos is in charge of the steam uploads, I'm also trying to get into contact with him. I guess what I'm getting at is, I can help lend a hand/consult/help test the mod. Aside from going to college for programming, I'm also a gun guru. So feel free to hit me up if you need anything.

Edit: I am now in contact with khaos.

Edited by W1Ndextor
additional info

Yeah, I've done some *very* basic poke-peeking at other mods and was originally a CS major my first trip through college... This time around, I'm a physics/applied math dual major, and I just finished my second time taking Intro to C++ :P Past me is jealous, as my first trip through I did not do *nearly* this well.   On the flip side, I spent a decade as a squid between first attempt at college and now.  If you have any questions, feel free to pester... I just can't promise anything resembling timely responses given my class schedules and the absolute monstrosity that is 300+ level math/physics courses in terms of classwork.

C++, useful skill, but I find it extremely annoying to work with..painfully slow to get anything done...code, compile, test, fix, compile, test....

I try to avoid coding in C++ if i can help it most of my work with it has been embedding interpreters of other languages into C++ apps (perl and python specifically).

Thanks for the offer I don't usually have coding questions though, I've been at this a long time ^_^

Just now, TheZombiesPro115 said:

Hey, I just noticed your sig says your a server admin, care to share the I.P and what not?

Server is currently down for now, I need to update it to the latest version (I been slacking) and it was having minor performance issues when there was more then a handful of players (needs more ram really, our current server was never intended to be a game host).  When its brought back up though it will be on the public list as TekagisTreasure, or can be reached through the tekagis.ca domain name

True.  I like C++ to some degree, but I think that's a result of not having to actually code much.  That said, I did IA work for several organizations who shall remain nameless, and I've always been able to skim C++, JAVA, etc  code snippets and have a good idea what they're doing.  Running into languages that embed stuff like REGEX always threw me for a loop.  Much hate for regular expressions. :)  There's nothing regular about them :P

On 12/4/2017 at 6:55 PM, Fenris_Wolf said:

Sure, if its the ones that were in the 'in-development' branch on the github page, I have those.  But if you got more then of course! The more the better ^_^

Dang, yeah then I guess you have them! I forgot I made the  github public :)

3 hours ago, Storm6436 said:

Running into languages that embed stuff like REGEX always threw me for a loop.  Much hate for regular expressions. :)  There's nothing regular about them :P

lol ya the name is defiantly misleading, but having perl as my first main language for sooo many years (I worked with perl as my main for a decade) regex has been hammered into my brain since its such a core part of the language.  They can be extremely annoying at times, but oh so powerful. Nothing parses text strings like regex does.  Where I find it comes in most handy now days is using it to find and replace strings in source code...it works wonders especially when recursively replacing in all files in a folder. So much faster and less error prone then hand editing.

Edited by Fenris_Wolf

2 minutes ago, ORMtnMan said:

Dang, yeah then I guess you have them! I forgot I made the  github public :)

Yep I found that when I first forked the github code, I was tempted to just continue from that branch but figured it would be easier to work off a working version then a half completed one...still at least i read the code to see what direction you were planning on taking the mod in :)

16 minutes ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

Yep I found that when I first forked the github code, I was tempted to just continue from that branch but figured it would be easier to work off a working version then a half completed one...still at least i read the code to see what direction you were planning on taking the mod in :)

Yes, but I think you did a better job of it!

5 minutes ago, ORMtnMan said:

Yes, but I think you did a better job of it!

Thats debatable. I may have implemented some of the ideas better, but if I was making the mod from scratch it would never have been so extensive with all the stuff it adds...I'm lazy, I admit it! :lol:

EDIT: steam...yay thanks sure that will make alot of people happy...though personally I like the fact that us GOG minority users got a mod first for once...usually they get uploaded to steam first then people have to ask for non-steam versions ^_^

Edited by Fenris_Wolf

8 hours ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

Thats debatable. I may have implemented some of the ideas better, but if I was making the mod from scratch it would never have been so extensive with all the stuff it adds...I'm lazy, I admit it! :lol:

EDIT: steam...yay thanks sure that will make alot of people happy...though personally I like the fact that us GOG minority users got a mod first for once...usually they get uploaded to steam first then people have to ask for non-steam versions ^_^

Eh, this mod was always non-steam first. When I started the workshop wasn't even there IIRC.

10 hours ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

lol ya the name is defiantly misleading, but having perl as my first main language for sooo many years (I worked with perl as my main for a decade) regex has been hammered into my brain since its such a core part of the language.  They can be extremely annoying at times, but oh so powerful. Nothing parses text strings like regex does.  Where I find it comes in most handy now days is using it to find and replace strings in source code...it works wonders especially when recursively replacing in all files in a folder. So much faster and less error prone then hand editing.

Oh definitely.  Some of the work I may have done involved helping folks write better detection rules for malicious code.  You can't run a REGEX against *everything* that crosses your wires, but there are a lot of times when that's not just the fastest way to find certain things, but really the only way.... so you essentially nest it in back end of a bunch of conditional detection rules so you don't waste a ton of processor time running string searches against innocuous packets.  Properly done, Information Assurance was a pretty fun/neat job.  The trick is finding a place that does it properly :P

And for what it's worth, this mod will *definitely* be added to my "I can't play this game without this mod" list ...   once I get enough time I can actually fire up the game without feeling guilty that I'm shirking/skipping out on classwork.  The original OGRM was freaking awesome, so I'd like to thank both of you guys for your work.

Side note: Granted I haven't dug through the new version yet to see if this is still the case or not, but one of the things that *slightly* rustled my jimmies with the original version as a gun nut was the distribution of weapons -- not that there were too many total weapons/ammo (Having been in the area the game takes place in, I'd wager you'd actually find *more* weapons, if not also more ammo) but more that the total unique number of weapons seemed a bit off.   Specifically, I'd expect you'd find a significant number of mossberg 12ga, AR platform guns, and lever actions (or similar enough other designs) before you'd find one of the more "exotic" types, like any of the FN 5.7 stuff.   Any plans on tinkering around with relative rarity between the unique weapons/ammo, or finding an easy way for folks to drop stuff off the spawn tables?

1 minute ago, Storm6436 said:

Side note: Granted I haven't dug through the new version yet to see if this is still the case or not, but one of the things that *slightly* rustled my jimmies with the original version as a gun nut was the distribution of weapons -- not that there were too many total weapons/ammo (Having been in the area the game takes place in, I'd wager you'd actually find *more* weapons, if not also more ammo) but more that the total unique number of weapons seemed a bit off.   Specifically, I'd expect you'd find a significant number of mossberg 12ga, AR platform guns, and lever actions (or similar enough other designs) before you'd find one of the more "exotic" types, like any of the FN 5.7 stuff.   Any plans on tinkering around with relative rarity between the unique weapons/ammo, or finding an easy way for folks to drop stuff off the spawn tables?

Well to keep the mod from completely disrupting PZ's balance, I did reduce spawn rates somewhat, and the rate obeys the sandbox loot ratity settings. As it stands, guns are already broken up into categories of civilian, police and military....common, rare and very rare. Most of the time (it depends on what the loot in spawning in) your odds are 85% civilian, 10% police, 5% military, and 80% common, 16% rare, 4% very rare.

The numbers are pretty easy to tweak in the ORGMDistributions.lua file.

Sweet.  I'd not tinkered around with the guts so I wasn't sure how things were laid out internally.   Probably also had a few games where the RNG just loved the rare/very rare stuff, giving me the impression they weren't as rare as they were.  Gotta love statistical processes.  (Actually, having had to take Intro to Quantum... In Soviet Russia, statistical processes love you!)

Hey, just tried the mod today and i have to say it feels amazing! Thank you for all the work you put into it.

I have 3 questions:

1. are you planning to do something about silencers? I read that you think they‘re too OP an I agree that they might be, but I‘d just love to have the option to use them. One can always crank up the number of Zombies to balance it out :)

2. how hard is it to change a guns model, is it just the model and texture files or is it a lot more? Sorry, I am a noob in this regard, i looked through the files but couldnt figure it out myself.

3. Is it possible to adjust what spawns in weapon lockers, without it being affected by the sandbox loot rarity settings? Point is, I would like to have a good amount of ammo in the lockers but without cranking up the amount of weapons to an insane amount.

Edited by Genom

1 minute ago, Genom said:

1. are you planning to do something about silencers? I read that you think they‘re too OP an I agree that they might be, but I‘d just love to have the option to use them. One can always crank up the number of Zombies to balance it out :)

Yes, I plan on creating a optional addon/expansion pack that includes them and other potentially balance changing aspects at a later point, but I need to finish my current changes first.  I'm working on a new attachment system to override the limited vanilla system, and it will allow for swapping out and upgrading major components of the guns, and having the new components change the stats of the gun.  One of those components is the barrel, so the mod will be able to define which individual guns have been upgraded with a threaded barrel for attaching suppressors.

8 minutes ago, Genom said:

2. how hard is it to change a guns model, is it just the model and texture files or is it a lot more? Sorry, I am a noob in this regard, i looked through the files but couldnt figure it out myself.

The gun models are stored in the media/models directory, and textures for them in media/textures (named as Objects_<model name>.png)

In the media/scripts directory is all the .txt files will basic weapon stats, and the gun model used (such as WeaponSprite = glock22)

If your adding new models, its going to need a entry in the media/lua/client/ORGM.lua file:

loadStaticZomboidModel("weapons_glock22", locationModel .. "glock22.txt", locationTexture .. "glock22.png")

33 minutes ago, Genom said:

3. Is it possible to adjust what spawns in weapon lockers, without it being affected by the sandbox loot rarity settings? Point is, I would like to have a good amount of ammo in the lockers but without cranking up the amount of weapons to an insane amount.

Sorry missed this one, think you edited it in there while I was replying lol

Loot distributions are handled in the media/lua/server/ORGMDistribution.lua file. Its not overly hard to add addtional guns into the spawning. Line #295 is the start of the spawning code, and you'll see entries like this:

local choice = SelectGun(85, 10, 5)
SpawnReloadable(container, choice.gun, choice.ammo, 10, 1, false)
SpawnMags(container, choice.gun, choice.ammo, 5, 3, false)
choice = SelectGun(85, 10, 5)
SpawnReloadable(container, choice.gun, choice.ammo, 10, 1, false)
SpawnMags(container, choice.gun, choice.ammo, 5, 3, false)

Specifically what that does:

selects a gun and matching ammo: SelectGun(civilian gun chance, police gun chance, military gun chance)

maybe spawn a gun: SpawnReloadable(the container,  the gun,  the ammo, 10% chance to spawn,  # of this gun to spawn - in this case 1,  true/false is the gun loaded)

maybe spawn some mags: SpawnMags( arguements are the same as SpawnReloadable, but with a  5% chance and 1-3 mags)

then it selects a another gun and repeats.

If you want to spawn more guns of different types, just repeat the lines.

choice = SelectGun()

SpawnReloadable()

SpawnMags()

If you want to just spawn more guns of the same type that was picked, you can just edit the # (last arguement before the true/false flag)

If you want more ammo, then simply insert these lines:

SpawnRandomBox(container, 10)

SpawnRandomCan(container, 5)

Those will randomly select a ammo type and spawn it with a 10% chance on the box, 5% on the can, add as many as you'd like and edit the % values.

The whole file is pretty well documented, every function has comments above explaining what it does and what the arguements are.

Edited by Fenris_Wolf

Wow, thank you sooo much Fenris, this will let me customise a few things to my liking easily! Not that it is rly needed, the mod is already amazing as it is, i just like customizing my games a lot and tinkering around with settings.

one thing that bugs me a little bit is this: I love how the guns now leave the bullet casings behind when shooting, just the models/texture for them on the ground seems way too big. I know PZ has a problem with icon sizes in general in some regards ( weapons look too small on the ground most of the time), but is there anything that can be done about that?

if it has something to do with the textures/images being to big and needing replacement I could havefer help in looking into making  new, smaller ones. I have no clue about coding, but i am not too bad with Gimp.

And yea, i did sneak in the 3rd question with an edit :P

Edited by Genom