Map of Normandy, France

Ayrton Orio

Hello everybody,

I have been a big fan of project zomboid for quite a while now and since the beginning I have been fantasizing about a PZ in a European environment. I tried to create a small part of the coastline near Cherbourg. It's my first map on PZ.

Eventually I would like to cover the whole area around Cherbourg with the nuclear power plant in the West (La Haie) and the more rural and fishing area in the East. But that's something that will be possible only when the creative mod is avaiale as the region covered is too big for manual editing.

I had several objectives while creating this map:
- Fun roads. I have been very impressed by the vehicle update and it is clear that vehicles will become an essential part of the gameplay. But in the current maps, roads are straight, and not very varied, so I tried to bring the spirit of small French roads, with many branches. Also I have reproduced the "boccage" structure of the fields so when you drive around you can't necessarily see inside the crop fields which I think gives incentive to stop from the car and have a look around by feet.

- Interesting coastline. I went for a "lande"-ish coastline as it is hard to give a sense of elevation. For now it looks very empty but I'm planning to make new vegetation for this specifically.

I'm planning on adding new tiles also, the goals is to use the vanilla tileset as much as possible but I have started making a new tileset.

I'm also planning, but for much later, to make boats. I already have one or two models that are close to completion. (sail yacht and motor yacht) I guess it should be doable to create one out of the template from the vehicle. (big assumption, I could be very wrong)

I had a few questions for people used to mod maps:

- Is it possible to apply a vegetation biome using WorldEd? For now I have only pine trees, which are not really adequate for my environment. I would like to have fruit trees and such. Is it something I have to do manually?
- I had seen a while ago a video where you could see a developer scatter vegetation on the fly, is it something that exists within tilezed or it's a future feature of the creative mod?
- Is there a centralized DB with all .tmx building created by the comumnity? I wish to consult and contribute!
- Is there any "populate" tool in Tilezed that I should know about before getting started? Like for roads for instance?
- Do you have any piece of advice for me? Remarks, suggestions...?

TLDR: I'm making a new map based on Normandy, France

Thank you for reading

Sans titre5.jpg

Sans titre4.jpg

Sans titre3.jpg

Sans titre1.jpg

I took me around 4 or 5 hours to do the landscape map and the vegetation map, but there was a lot of growing pains: for instance for some reason gravel and asphalt don't interpolate together, so I had to avoid asphalt/gravel contacts. There was also a lot of problems regarding wrong colors (or unstable) and antialiasing. I still have to identify more accurately the type of vegetations produced (I feel that the boccage structure is too scattered at the moment) and if possible expand on the variety of tiles produced.

If i were to do a whole other region of a similar size (which is the point eventually) I think it would take me around 1h30 2h now.

Thank you Lemmy! I will try to post tonight the first prototype for normandie house type!

So doing this house is taking longer than I thought... Rooftop in isometric design is not exactly easy, but I'm getting there!

I have nonetheless updated the main map with a few tweaks, and oh boy it's cute. WordEd is quite a fantastic tool.

I have added rivers, river banks, more trees to frame crop fields, improved roads so they look more natural (blending has to follow rules i originally did not get), denser foret, moor-ish vegetation, oceanic influence, etc...

caplevi10.jpg

caplevi9.jpg

caplevi8.jpg

caplevi7.jpg

caplevi6.jpg

caplevi5.jpg

On 21.11.2017 at 1:34 AM, Ayrton Orio said:

- Is it possible to apply a vegetation biome using WorldEd? For now I have only pine trees, which are not really adequate for my environment. I would like to have fruit trees and such. Is it something I have to do manually?

i asked about this before and one of the devs said that you cant do it because of how the erosion system works, it takes all the nature ur placed and basically randomizes it to the erosion system. he was more indepth about it but i cant find his post so this is the short version of it 

something about this map standing out from all the others, its really breathtaking. great work seriously!!!

Edited by xXxFANCYCAPYBARA36xXx

1 hour ago, xXxFANCYCAPYBARA36xXx said:

something about this map standing out from all the others

There is still lot to do to get to the level of detail of a bedford fall or new denver but thanks!

1 hour ago, xXxFANCYCAPYBARA36xXx said:

because of how the erosion system works

What I have done is that I have simulated "erosion" on my map simply by organizing the different layers in PS by including the above layers. I think it should be possible to program a new color with a different biome but I would not know where to start, and I don't know if that's even supposed to be done. I guess I will have to edit it manually for now.

4 hours ago, Ayrton Orio said:

What I have done is that I have simulated "erosion" on my map simply by organizing the different layers in PS by including the above layers. I think it should be possible to program a new color with a different biome but I would not know where to start, and I don't know if that's even supposed to be done. I guess I will have to edit it manually for now.

its exactly what i planned for my map it was an accurate country recreation and i wanted to map out decidious and pine forests accurately to the climate and terrain theyre in and i was told that that doesnt work cause if youre gonna do that color thing for the veg map its gonna work inside of tilezed, but when u export it into the game the erosion systems that are in the game itself (such as vines growing on walls, streets cracking up plants growing etc) will completely take over everything you did in the veg map and randomize it to the current kentucky nature in the original map :( 

i never tried it out i was just told this by one of the developers, maybe you can find out what the tree codes are and make your own color and see if it works or bypasses erosion. if it does please tell

as for starting theres a file in the map tools folder i think in tiles called rules.txt, if i remember correctly that was the one that had the color codes and corresponding tiles in it. it worked with a code for each tree something like 10_4 for a certain type of pine tree tile, and i never got to figure out what these codes are for the other trees. i searched all over tile definitions and such and didnt find a code for em sadly but maybe i just didnt look correctly. dont let any of this turn you off from doing what youre trying to do but make sure to backup your current map files before u try anything new.

Edited by xXxFANCYCAPYBARA36xXx

On 24/11/2017 at 9:31 AM, xXxFANCYCAPYBARA36xXx said:

will completely take over everything you did in the veg map and randomize it to the current kentucky nature in the original map

It took me a few days to check what you were saying. Indeed when exported to the game, the vegetation changes and uses the full nature tileset. In my case I'm quite happy with it as it brings a lot more variety to forest and woods. So I'm ok with it!

And I checked rules.txt, perfect! ty!

(I have forwarded the post to the "map" category) which makes more sense:

https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23251-cap-levi-normandy-france/

• 8 months later...

A few images to give some update about the Normandy map:

I have been working on crop fields in order to diversify and make them interesting to visit for loot. As I am now working in a more cell by cell process I can put more focus on individual elements

5b6476928b06d_normandypzfeature.thumb.jpg.b4320913a6ec0a7e5520c1bc61e9085d.jpg

5b64769c4d062_normandypzfeature2.thumb.jpg.aed7a1a7ab060310452429da2f7481bd.jpg

5b6476a835752_normandypzfeature3.thumb.jpg.511e3610dc6d7915a51260b57b30b074.jpg

5b6476b316f15_normandypzfeature4.thumb.jpg.409565e08e6d032f16d4818b0461b743.jpg

I have also been working on towns, it took me a while ot get it right but I wanted the driving to feel more like what you have in Europe, small streets, many one ways, cars parked on the sides on reserved locations, etc. When you drive in it you can't rush it un less you want to turn your car to a wreck. I am at the very beginning of making the building blocks of the ....blocks. Will do different corners, longer buildings, restaurant, etc.

5b6476c0f2230_normandypzfeature6.thumb.jpg.2ee9711e637cbc30747cd0857b6654ce.jpg

normandypz feature7.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I have decided to move updates news and development diary towards Patreon to give incentive to support my work, I guess it won't be of the taste of some of the community members but I need to find ways to make this project more sustainable. The map remains entirely free (obviously) and you can consult change notes in the steam workshop dedicated area. 

As a result, if you are looking to consult development advancements, video tutorials on map making or ask me questions/give input on the map, please go on the following Patreon page:

https://www.patreon.com/cherbourgzomboid

If you support the project for more than 5$ you will also be able to have a customized house, mansion, apartment, lighthouse, castle or even a dedicated Island!