You hear the helicopter coming...

JM_Forest_64

You've just gotten back from a loot run.  Your safe house has nearly everything Muldraugh can provide in terms of guns, weapons, food, tools, books,  and medicines. Hell, you even have smokes to support your bad habit.   You've just put your newly acquired frozen mayonaise in the fridge when you hear it.  The growing sound of the helicopter (or is that the quite sound coming as a whisper from your lips, "ffffffuuuuuuuuu****************k.")

Question is, what do you do?  What should your immediate first steps be?  Luckily, you've built a double wall around the property, but it's only a short matter of time before a few dozen undead shred those things like paper.  But, given the choice of nearly anything you can think of to take with you to deal with the problem, what do you do?

Run away from your base, the helicopter will follow you, try to get indoors somewhere else and it should leave. The cure all for the heli event is to live on the 2nd floor of a building and destroy the stairs with the sledgehammer, then the helicopter is irrelevant. I often make a base above thr grocery store and hardware store in WP in the two apartments there, one has access to a flat roof for the garden. The Helicopter gives me no trouble even if it draws many Zeds as there are multiple windows to sheet rope from. Literally the safest base i know in a central location and close to the Gigamart too. The Sunstar motel in Muld is good too, altho there are more stairs to destroy there.

That's right. Run like hell, draw them away from your base. At first it felt strange. You know, you build your base, fences etc. and the first thing you do when there's helicopter trouble is to run outside, but it's really the best way. A well built base quickly can become a trap, if you're not cautious.

2 hours ago, NebNebber said:

Run away from your base, the helicopter will follow you, try to get indoors somewhere else and it should leave. The cure all for the heli event is to live on the 2nd floor of a building and destroy the stairs with the sledgehammer, then the helicopter is irrelevant. I often make a base above thr grocery store and hardware store in WP in the two apartments there, one has access to a flat roof for the garden. The Helicopter gives me no trouble even if it draws many Zeds as there are multiple windows to sheet rope from. Literally the safest base i know in a central location and close to the Gigamart too. The Sunstar motel in Muld is good too, altho there are more stairs to destroy there.

Agreed. Destroy the stairs. Stay inside till the helicopter leaves. Then kill the z's.  Build an extension on the first floor for your growing garden.  I'm currently playing with the helicopter event set to sometimes. Every 2-3 weeks it arrives and if you use this strategy its arrival has a minimal effect. 

Good luck.

Hop in the old grocery-getter (for you non-Americans, or young-uns, that's an old slang term for a station wagon) and drive up to the school.

Park the car so the driver side door is pressed up against the chain-link fence, so the zeds can't hit the window or car door, and then read a book or two until it gets dark. Because you know that pilot is coming back to do a health and wellness check in a few hours, and again and again after that, until night time.

Shin

As people are saying, staying inside your base can be the worst decision. Go outside and make them follow you, even start screaming, then move away from your base, at least two or three blocks. Be prepared to stay away as long as needed.

Don't forget to turn off ovens and microwaves before leaving, seriously.

You can actually just walk around avoiding the occasional sprinter. Look at it as an opportunity. If your area is getting a little crowded, the helicopter is an easy way to re-concentrate the neighborhood wherever you want them to be.  However, it seems if you stay outside the Helicopter will make more passes, or at least that has been my experience. So don't run too much unless you're the athletic type.

If you have a base in advance of the chopper, prepare at least two campfires each in opposite directions out about two blocks or one cell away from your base. Stock the fires high with fuel, and always be ready to light them. Keep beta blockers, vitamins, and a few extra snacks on hand at all times.

When the chopper comes, you dash to the fire and light it as quick as you can. Then you have an all day dance-off/bbq with the zeds that come piling through the flames.

And at the end of the party, your neighbourhood is cleared out. Or you can leave the party (which is away from your base) after you light a few zeds. Then, have a good quiet rest, and head back to work the following morning.

Archived