6 Months later - How to distract zombies?

Bolgfred

Dear Zomboid Society,

I Just tried playing in the 6 month later setup and it went very short, until I was hunted and bitten and beaten to death. This happened several times, and after much research I found the reason for it: There are zombies everywhere.

Point is, whenever I start running somewhere so distract or avoid zombies, I run into more of them, turning into a growing health risk.

Usually I try to run in a big circle, clearing a single area, and get rid of the big group in a few trees, a house or another kind of corner.

But often this just doesn't work too well.

As I don't feel very effective at all, I am very intrested on how others use to survive on higher difficulties.  Please, tell me about your techniques for survivalisms.

running = zombies.

so i dont normally run unless its vital to do so.

If your zombies are not set to be Sprinters - you can calmly just walk away.

To shake them off your tail - simply get something inbetween you and them.  so walk behind a tree or a house then change direction and walk off somewhere else.

Easiest way to loose them - walk in a front door and walk out the back door or side window.

If you run you will pull zombies from all around you.  try a new game and do not run at all - see how long you survive.

EDIT - sorry i think you want ed to know more about distraction. well you can shout, fire a gun, alarm clock or run near them - then use the above ways to give them the slip.

Always, always, always, get out of town when you first start.  You have to start “building” your character in a low zombie area.  Just like most RPG’s start players in easy to manage situations (fewer enemies but crappier equipment), your Zomboid adventure should go the same way.  But more true to real life, this game will start you in the middle of what amounts to an advanced dungeon, but you shouldn’t expect your noobie character to be able to handle it.  Get out of town, run from everything until nothing is around you, then slowly work your way back in.

As you loot, move packs out of town to the unpopulated fringes.  Once you have a decent weapon set, stop leading those S.O.B’s away and start killing them instead.  Best way to “clear” an area is to kill every zombie in sight.  Upgrade your living quarters.  Start farming.  Feel good about yourself.  Die when the helicopter comes...

On 11/19/2017 at 2:40 AM, JM_Forest_64 said:

Always, always, always, get out of town when you first start.  You have to start “building” your character in a low zombie area.

How do you imagine this?  Explain!  Explaaaaiin!  Explain!  

Running into the forests and go foreaging? Move into the suburbs, very near a forest?

I dunno, but it seems to me that wherevery I go there is a ceaseless zombie population, which only ends in deep forest.

I once tried to go into the wilds at day one, with a plastic chair for sleeping, but soon enough it started raining, which made me sick quite fast and my char wasn't a big nature man anyway.

6 hours ago, Bolgfred said:

I once tried to go into the wilds at day one, with a plastic chair for sleeping, but soon enough it started raining, which made me sick quite fast and my char wasn't a big nature man anyway.

I had the same problem with rain so I started taking the Outdoorsman trait. :)

In Muldraugh, I would run to the east-side train station warehouses.  These are safe, isolated locations with a lot of tools and weapons but lacking in food.  In rosewood, the farmlands to the east.  Food, tools, not as many weapons, but a good location for rosewood and march ridge loot runs.  In West Point, well, West Point's a b*tch.  Run to the river, run west along the river, to the far western edge of town.  It is less dense out there, but still dangerous.  You're better off running to valley station and making a go of it up there.

I pretty much only play six months after now. Or slight variations.

Peak day is day 5. Zombies hearing range is buffed to 300. You have to try to do as much as you can in the first couple of days. I typically spend the first couple of days looting houses. It's tough though. Eventually, you have to take some risks. I abuse the doors. They are all unlocked so I'll gather a mob and run into a house, closing the door behind me. Usually I try to check the utility closet downstairs (if the house has one) for tools and the straight to the kitchen. I loot the kitchen until I have to leave out a window. If you are quick, you can almost get through the kitchen most of the time. This gets a little more hectic when there are zombies inside. If you have a knife weapon, you should be able to kill them quickly and start looting. But sometimes there are too many inside and you will just need to push your way to the back door to move on to the next house. Don't go upstairs with this method unless you have the tools and materials to make a sheet rope. I'll typically do this method until I have a decent amount of things or until the zombie population is making it too dangerous. This method is quite a rush. Very fun. Trowel and seeds are important. Some whiskey would be good for disinfecting.

After the initial looting, I head to a planned base. The best spot in my mind, hands down, is the two warehouses at the lumber company. I build a small base in between them with walls basically joining the warehouses. This also allows you to expand to the roofs once you can build stairs. Very low zombie pop, relatively close to muldraugh, foraging to the north, lots of land for farming, tons of crates, some food in the other warehouses' breakrooms, and lots of prechopped wood in the warehouses with even more in the lumber yard. Honestly, it's an amazing base for six months after. Many other places can work as long as they are on the fringe of town. Once I'm there, I plant some crops. Then I usually go on killing sprees for bags and search the crates.

Because of the number of zombies and them being buffed, I've found a stealth build to be quite effective. Unless you are using hydrocraft...then just make a strong athletic blunt melee quarterstaff character so you can just kill everything. :) Typically, I go a burglar with inconspicuous and graceful. At lower levels, stealth is just going to be used to get away from the mobs you collect. Running and yelling are a great way to start collecting them. Take them further than you think you need to take them before trying to lose them. As you noticed, you will be constantly running into more groups. As you start getting closer to where you want to lose them, stop yelling and running. You might have to sprint a little if you get in a tight spot, but try to not. Going through the woods is often mentioned, but I like going through houses more. Abuse those unlocked doors. I feel this works better because the immediately lose sight of you and they will start banging on the door which will focus the attention away from you. You can lose the bulk this way and then lose the rest with another building or the forest, etc.

So that's a quick and dirty way of clearing an area. You can use gun, but you need to be careful with that because the zombies will start coming towards you from all directions. If you are in a safe area or just walking around mindfully, this works amazingly. Just position yourself several blocks away from the area you want to clear and shoot. You can pretty much just walk around the groups of zombies, with a little running, to be safe. After a bit move two block or so away from your target away and shoot again. Maybe once more?  Then lose them while taking a long circle back to the area you cleared. That should make the number manageable for looting. You could also use a car. Put it in a spot and leave it running while you retreat to a safer spot, but still with range to keep that car loaded in game.

Hopefully that will give some things to try.

On 21/11/2017 at 6:20 AM, JM_Forest_64 said:

In Muldraugh, I would run to the east-side train station warehouses

or to the opposite side, to the north-western farm near ponnyclub. This is a long run, but the place is remarquably "safe" and allows you to make a real decent camp. +, you can make an halt by McCoy on the way to get plenty of loot.

• 2 weeks later...

heres what i did

drop bottles everywhere and wait until they fill with water (rain), congrats you've got a simple water supply outside in the wilderness, maybe then run to the city back again and loot some canned food or food (also get a pot for emptying all the water bottles onto it, then cook it so it becomes clean water then unpack on bottles)

congrats you have food supply and clean water supply

now get weapons and build up

okay that should be enough to survive for some days, repeat process

also go fitness with strong trait, these both help a lot

once you get all skills on 10 go on your genocide

make sure to not attract zombies to your supper base maybe lure em away if you get some annoyin boy

Archived