Retry: The Great Loot Search - A Study on Starting House Loot Hauls

ShylokVakarian

Seeing some great data here, really interesting stuff.  I would like to remind contributors to vary up their professions, as currently a whopping 13 submissions out of 26 submissions containing professions are for Park Rangers.   Now, this is probably due to our current MVC, ChatNoir, having submitted a total of 12 submissions, and (likely) all of them are Park Rangers.  Thankfully, our second-most valuable contributor, Larnest, has decided they want to submit data for 11 different professions, covering several bases that weren't covered before.  I would also like to remind contributors to vary your spawn locations, as Muldraugh is currently the majority of submissions, at a whopping 65.8%.  Apparently, Muldraugh was a thriving metropolis before Event Zero, because everyone and their grandma wanted to live there.

Two more reminders: First, if you spawn in a weird location that is currently not covered by the options listed, please provide, in the Other box, either a link to the location on the PZ Map, which can be found here, or provide the coordinates for the location, which can be found as "Coords" by clicking on the "Map Coordinates (on Level 0)" tab to the left, clicking "Lock Coords", and then clicking on the location on the map where you spawned.  And finally, contributors that have already submitted at least one data point: Please consider submitting more.  Not everyone enjoys science as much as you do, and would find the tasks required to be mind-numbingly tedious.

Edited by ShylokVakarian

I try to submit a set of data covering all spawn locations 3 times for each profession per week. So far Park Ranger and Engineer are done. Next profession will come next week (maybe even 2 per week during holidays). Let me know if you have any priority regarding professions.

Metalworker data set submitted.

I had two houses with almost no loot. One in Rosewood with just a schoolbag and a seeds package and one in West Point with just one news paper in it. That was the lowest amount of loot I have ever found in a starting house. Might be a bug related to a certain type of kitchen counters. Both houses had those type of kitchen counters and all of them were empty.

Edit: Just spawned in this house in Riverside and found nothing at all.

Edited by ChatNoir

We've actually been sitting on at least 100 responses for a while now, but I completely forgot that 100 was a milestone.  Since I have little reason to think the data changed significantly, I've decided to skip the 100 responses milestone.  I'll release new results at 250 responses.  I'm sure we'll get there, but I'd like to remind those that haven't decided to submit craptons of data that they should continue to test and submit new data.

Data sets for all professions including unemployed submitted. I'm curious to see the results.

Here are some questions:

How likely is it to have a very lucky start (finding a baseball but + any kind of hiking bag)?

How likely is it to have a very bad start (finding nothing useful at all)?

Which is the best/worst starting location in terms of loot?

I have news.  A while back, mid-December, ChatNoir vowed to submit 12 responses for every profession.  I commented in PM that that was a massive undertaking, and if she managed to do that, I would crown her the Queen of Loot.  As you can see by the post above, she has fulfilled that vow.  She is the reason that I can even give results for individual professions, and for that dedication, ChatNoir, I crown thee the Queen of Loot.  May your vast knowledge of loot lead you to further greatness.

We are also past the 250 mark, but I will skip that mark and instead go straight to a coronation special.  Results will follow shortly.

Edited by ShylokVakarian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since no one wants to help me with the implementation of the LootScore™ System, I've decided not to hold the final results up any longer.  I may revisit the weighting of the start locations if I end up assigning loot values to everything, or find someone willing to help assign them.