Survivors Mod Dev Support

trombonaught

I hope it's not too contentious a thought to be said but...

Any chance the team could get someone to help put @nolanri's Survivors on MP? Secretly, even? This is just such a game-changer I don't even think of it as a "mod" anymore. It's at the point where playing Zomboid means choosing between playing a quiet scavenger game with a handful of friends, OR diving into a chaotic zombie apocalypse. I would REALLY love to do both (as would likely everyone who subscribes to Survivors).

I don't mean "quiet scavenger game" to be a disparaging remark- I've had a semi-regular group going at this game for most of the year I've had it, so obviously things are doing fine! Props to the team for where the game has gone over just my year of playing it.

Anyways, there it is, cheers all! I hope I incur no wrath in posting this, and I will not be offended if this comment gets shut down or removed for being too similar to a demand for the three letter N word! Dirty, dirty word... 

if you suggesting like merging & fixing up the mod into base game. I'll be the first to say that's a really bad idea.  Survivors mod is not at all properly coded.  I just threw it together to add some madness to the game.  It's very messy and not done in the way it should be.  The mod just spawns extra "IsoPlayer" Objects which is meant to only be one instance of, which is "you" the character you the player controls.   And then a lot of other stuff added and bypassed to make sure the fewest amount of problems arise from having multiple player characters on the map. 

in short it is not something that can be built on. the solid base to build on is not there, it would all crumble and fall if you tried. 

Now given that you can say the code workmanship is shoddy and crappy I suppose.  But short of TIS giving me the entire PZ project files this was the only way it could be done in a mod. NPCs should be a java class managed by like a parent Director class which lots of other classes in the java engine need to account for.  If I or the devs were gonna make NPCs properly, it would have to be done that way, much cleaner, organized and proper. A sturdy foundation that can be build on.

but me as a modder not accountable to anyone just fooling around for fun, i dont have to follow those rules.

1 hour ago, nolanri said:

if you suggesting like merging & fixing up the mod into base game.

Sorry no no not at all! I only mean that it would be nice if they could find a way to get your mod firing in MP. My understanding is it's not possible due to a server side/client side issue, and I wonder if there is anything they could do to help you overcome that? 

I fully understand that this survivor system that you have magically conconcted is not and will not be related to the dev NPCs. Definitely just dreaming of getting your mod running in MP, and as a mod, not base game.

1 hour ago, trombonaught said:

Sorry no no not at all! I only mean that it would be nice if they could find a way to get your mod firing in MP. My understanding is it's not possible due to a server side/client side issue, and I wonder if there is anything they could do to help you overcome that? 

I fully understand that this survivor system that you have magically conconcted is not and will not be related to the dev NPCs. Definitely just dreaming of getting your mod running in MP, and as a mod, not base game.

I see, well kinda for the same reasons, this would also be very difficult. you would need to make hoards of changes to the game engine just to accommodate the mod that is using things (methods) in ways they were not meant to be used.  It would be far more productive to just continue the work on NPCs properly. ..... and or throw me on the NPC dev team....

4 minutes ago, nolanri said:

I see, well kinda for the same reasons, this would also be very difficult. you would need to make hoards of changes to the game engine just to accommodate the mod that is using things (methods) in ways they were not meant to be used.  It would be far more productive to just continue the work on NPCs properly. ..... and or throw me on the NPC dev team....

That's kinda what I thought, just making my wishful thinking known :P  

In any case thanks for all of the work you've done on this, I don't know how you put together something so complex that works so consistently for me. Survivors really changed the game and brought back some friends who had put the game down for while. So thanks!