Challenge Mode Variables

IdentityZero

Hi everyone, first post, love the game, 10/10. I've been able to answer most of my questions without any issue. I've been trying to compile a list of the game mode variables to more accurately do character builds for each scenario. Hopefully I can find some answers here.

Each of the challenges have very different variables for zombies, player, and world. Here's a few examples of what I'm talking about:

1 One Day - Standard, Basic Navigate // Hunger, Thirst,  // 0.1.5 Map, No Weather, 
2 Mall - Seeking Periodic, Navigate // Hunger, Thirst, No Boredom // Full Map, Weather,
4 Last Stand - Seeking Frequent, Navigate // No Hunger, No Thirst, No Fatigue // HitW Map, No Weather
5 Last Stand Acc - Seeking Frequent, Navigate // No Hunger, No Thirst, No Fatigue // HitW Map, No Weather

Collecting and working out all the variables so you can build the optimal character for each challenge. For example:

1 One Day has no weather so you can scrap Outdoorsman, you are only pressed for time due to perishables, since the zombies are pretty standard Inconspicuous and Graceful go a long way, sprinting around isn't really the way to go so you can opt for things like Weak or Very Underweight because knives are common and one hit kills, etc

2 Mall the zombies periodically sense your location and have better navigation where Sprinting becomes necessary having to move room to room or house to house, has weather so Outdoorsman becomes useful, etc.

4 Last Stand zombies sense your location frequently so clumbsy and conspicuous are helpful, you can't buy weapons and you have to work with what you got so ultimately melee is your best bet, etc.

5 Last Stand Accumulator allows purchase of guns so later on for the most part guns are the way to go with the exception of singles, etc.

Anyways I figure you get my point, does anyone know how to view or have these Zombie/Player/World variables without having to feel them out or use NecroForge Debug Info for sniffing out the details?

Thank you and/or sorry in advance, I'm very long winded and over analytical about this game. My PZ skills are pretty spot on now but if I die because of imperfections just to have to start over again is frustrating sometimes. Take my SP Sandbox Hardcore settings with Insane Zombies by 6mo mark build for example: Lumberjack // Neg - Unfit, Very Underweight, Weak, High Thirst, Pacifist, Hemophobic, Weak Stomach, Slow Reader // Pos - Dextrous, Outdoorsman, Graceful, Inconspicious, Lucky, Fast Healer, Fast Learner, Organized, Thick Skinned, Handy. At end game it's almost what I'd consider perfect.

TL;DR anyone have a list or know how to get Zombies/Player/World variables for each Challenge Mode?

Hello and welcome!

For a non-pretty, but fast solution you can start a new challenge, exit it right after start, and find file called map_sand.bin in your saves directory (the path looks like this: c:\Users\<username>\Zomboid\Saves\)
This one has the save's sandbox properties, but can be opened in a binary format only. Still you can open it as a text and get some hints, for example, for Challenge 1 (24 hours):

ZombieConfig.PopulationMultiplier 4.0
ZombieConfig.PopulationStartMultiplier 1.0
ZombieConfig.PopulationPeakMultiplier 1.5
ZombieConfig.PopulationPeakDay 28 

This way you can get all the options.

If you are willing, you can even add them to PZ Wiki for others to find.

Someone probably might have sandbox options parser, but the only one I know of is outdated, so I use hex editor to mess with these options after game start.

You're right, it's not pretty but it is definitely what I was looking for. Thank you, great info! With a bit of cleaning up and organization I will post it here and on the wiki, the wiki could use some updating (no offense to anyone maintaining it, it's just a huge undertaking for a game like this). I know in Opening Hours and Last Stand the zombies tend to track to your location on a frequent/constant basis, there is no sandbox value for this. Everything else seems to be there but the "seeking life" that is just a basic true/false with a frequency modifier.

This also helps me fix my current sandbox issues.

So anyways.. PERFECT! Thank you! Best regards.

Archived