Floor space vs. any other container space

Eddy63

When it comes to inventory management I'm often asking myself why do I even bother to find wardrobes, cupboards boxes etc. to store my canned food, tools, and stuff inside, when the ground floor has way more storage capacity than any other container I have found so far. Every ground tile seems to hold 50 units, whereas most containers range around 20-40. It kinda beats the purpose of storing stuff in containers ... shouldn't it be the other way around, like one tile of wardrobe should store more items than a floor tile, since you are utilizing the space vertically more efficiently by the help of side walls? Besides that it's even visually easier to see whats stored, if its just lying on the floor. So I don't really see the benefits of using, or even crafting boxes for storing purpose. Crafting a box halfs the storing capacity of a floor tile into only 25 units. Am I missing something here? To me it feels like the floor tiles should only be able to store 10-15 units or so, to have an actual benefit of using containers.

At the beginning of a game I also just throw my loot on the floor and go looting again, but always segregate it later. When everything is just piled around, you'll gonna spend a lot of time searching for just-that-one-thing-you-need-NOW. After throwing 50 units of stuff on a floor, it looks like unidentifable mess, and probably you will lose orientation what's where.

Also, sometimes things don't land exactly where you want them to - containers are more precise. Not exactly sure how's with your second post.

Storing things on the floor is good only for heavy things, and no more than 2-3 types of them, e.g. boards and logs.

The best capacity-surface ratio container is a stack of 3 wooden crates (they're 50, not 25, or maybe you look at cartbox) - you got 150 per square.

19 minutes ago, Veromaye said:

For me at least is about aesthetics. Id prefer making boxes rather than let stuffs dropped around the floor. Specially if you want to immerse more in the gameplay. 

Yeah, I also do it for immersion and visuals, but it would be even more immersive if the numbers would support that immersion.

10 minutes ago, Trojan_Turps said:

i think when lots of items end up on the same tile there should be a junk pile image there. it could also slow down movement or even become a trip hazard.

That would be nice to have. If the floor tile can store more than any container it should have some downsides 

Really do think any duplicate item types need to be rolled into a single lobectomy with a quantity value, overs of thousands of individual objects. 

Pile of, handful of, bunch of, a few ...

This trait breaks when objects have to have unique properties and their be individually selected somehow, not to mention crafting.

Unfortunately, crates are always going to be the best way to optimize floor space, even in the situations you need to place stuff on the floor (radios, microwaves, tvs, etc.).

Otherwise, you use stuff for aesthetic purposes only, or as a easy way to identify what your storing there (bookcases for books, wardrobes for clothes, etc.).

The only time floor space is somewhat idea is when you have disorganized and no access to crates, since the disorganized trait currently ignores tile spaces.

On 31.10.2017 at 2:07 PM, Kurogo said:

The thing you're missing is that boxes can be stacked. Even if a crate halves the tile space to 25, you can stack 3 crates for a total tile space of 75. With the organized trait, this would be even higher.

Cool, good to know

5 hours ago, Kurogo said:

After my couch buddy finally learned how to make crates, the math is: 1 box = 50, 65 with organized. So 3 boxes stacked would be either 150 or 195. Hope that motivates you to build those crates.

Thanks for the info

Archived