How much of Louisville will we see?

Neutz

Hopefully a dev might reply, has it been said anywhere how much of Louisville we will see?

Seeing as MD and WP are pretty much 1:1 it seems unrealistic we will see the whole of Louisville, looking at it on Google maps that would just be insane.

I am also curious how they plan on doing the motorways etc with the 2D engine and the game would probably need some optimization to run dense urban areas at a decent FPS.

Or do you think they will just not implement it after all?

I would hope that they still plan to stick by their promises for the map just as they have for everything else.

"Louisville, or at least the part on the Kentucky side of the river, Brandenburg, and of course Fort Knox will all be on the agenda"

( From the March To 1.0 Mondoid: https://projectzomboid.com/blog/2014/06/march-to-1-0/ )

So assuming they keep their word like they always have we'll at least see the part on the Kentucky side of the river :)

Also, they had quite a bit of the Louisville outskirts (known as Orell in real life) done quite some time ago, as you can see in this WIP picture below;

Louisville-outskirts.jpg

( From the H1PZ2 Mondoid: https://projectzomboid.com/blog/2015/01/h1pz2/ )

So yes, expect insanity in the best way possible :P lol

My guess is the engine improvements are what's holding back the areas leading up to Louisville based on these Mondoids below;

https://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/02/dark-places/

"Improval of map height limits
The primary reason for the current (very limiting) 8-storey height map is that it’s pretty hefty in terms of memory: we have to be reserved with the maximum height as ‘one size fits all’. If a tower block has to be 8 high then so does the rest of the entire game, including all the bits above the fields and forests. All that space ‘reserved’ and swallowing up bits of memory and processing time.
This will change however, since changes made for Creative will ultimately allow for each chunk of the map to define its own extents. Therefore a tower block chunk will have its own upper limit without cruelly condemning the middle of a forest to be the same height. While it’s not yet clear how far this could or should be pushed, it’s safe to say we’d be able to consider more than 8 height buildings. This, again, is vital to the foundations of our Louisville city map."

https://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/02/deeper-underground/

"improvement of map height limits in preparation for Louisville"

So like you mentioned we should see some optimization before any of this is ready to drop into the game :)

1 minute ago, Legoland99 said:

Those posts were in 2016, hopefully someone from the Team answers Neutz's question in regards to the posts still being available. Thanks for taking the time Kuren to remind us :D 

My pleasure :D I'm always here to remind people of Orell and the greatness it will bring to the game :) It's one of my most anticipated updates lol

And sure, the Mondoids I linked/quoted are older, but like I said, TIS has always come through with their promises in the past (as vehicles were teased and mentioned in Mondoids years before they were finally integrated recently and animations were teased before this map was even shared in that Mondoid) so I'm confident they won't go back on their word :)

We can only hope so, although you're right, vehicles did come out, now I'm waiting for animations, visible backpacks, npc's, oh yes, the CREATIVE mod and more vehicle optimizations since my potato pc crashed just now when a horde of 400+ caught me in the Mall parking lot via car. XD I saw the first post with the cars a long time ago, you can tell that the vehicles now have drastically improved from the first teaser we saw. I'd love to see basements and so on being added in the game, along with indeed, the ability for individual values to be set for max floor size and such. :) 

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Kennethdio said:

Who would actually loot 50 story buildings in Louisville? As cool and excited I am to see it, I'm really sure that nobody's going to loot the buildings taller than two stories,

Just imagine the nightmare climbing down that sheetrope rofl.

But seriously I don't see 50 story buildings being possible. If 8 makes the game stutter now, the most I think we could hope for is 16-24 tops with optimizations/separate chunk.

It would be interesting to see, but to be honest I just don't think the engine can handle buildings of that magnitude.

Hell I built a 80x80 tile 40 unit apartment complex and half the time TileZed/Building Editor crashes just trying to work on it. Imagine you have a 20x20 - 40x40 tile building times 50 equaling out to what 100x100 or 200x200 tiles stacked up in a small area that size? They'd have to break it each into chunks of 8 story's possibly, then imagine the black walls going up or down in MP and the amount of zombies in a city with multiple buildings that high.

In MP it would be a nightmare, hell if you jumped out that high, you would probably crash hitting 6 different chunks on the way to the ground from loading too quickly.

Everything might be more possible in SP but MP will be screwed if that is the case.

Another problem is that in the "official" lore, Louisville isn't overrun until at least one week after the infection breaks out in the Exclusion Zone. And even then it isn't overrun in a single day. So here's my idea: There should be a perimeter fence around the entire Exclusion Zone, preventing the player from going outside Knox County. At some point (perhaps triggered by the appropriate broadcast) the northern border at Valley Station opens up, and you can go to Louisville after it has been overrun. 

15 minutes ago, Brex said:

Another problem is that in the "official" lore, Louisville isn't overrun until at least one week after the infection breaks out in the Exclusion Zone. And even then it isn't overrun in a single day. So here's my idea: There should be a perimeter fence around the entire Exclusion Zone, preventing the player from going outside Knox County. At some point (perhaps triggered by the appropriate broadcast) the northern border at Valley Station opens up, and you can go to Louisville after it has been overrun. 

Damn you, I'm glad I haven't expanded my map any further lol. Didn't think about that.

Also that would imply some sort of event system/campaign editor that I've been bugging everyone about. I think if events like that were possible, some amazing custom maps could be done. Unfortunately for those who don't code LUA it isn't currently possible.

Though my ideas are limitless if there was an event system.

Surely they would have to have one for the exclusion zone as you said. I'm also curious how they are going to work out the story line in MP or whether it's going to remain purely sandbox mode with more content.

1 hour ago, Capt_Paradox said:

Damn you, I'm glad I haven't expanded my map any further lol. Didn't think about that.

Also that would imply some sort of event system/campaign editor that I've been bugging everyone about. I think if events like that were possible, some amazing custom maps could be done. Unfortunately for those who don't code LUA it isn't currently possible.

Though my ideas are limitless if there was an event system.

Surely they would have to have one for the exclusion zone as you said. I'm also curious how they are going to work out the story line in MP or whether it's going to remain purely sandbox mode with more content.

Considering the devs still haven't fixed the incorrect start date for the broadcasts, I don't know if they'll be able to tackle this problem. 

4 hours ago, Capt_Paradox said:

Just imagine the nightmare climbing down that sheetrope rofl.

But seriously I don't see 50 story buildings being possible. If 8 makes the game stutter now, the most I think we could hope for is 16-24 tops with optimizations/separate chunk.

It would be interesting to see, but to be honest I just don't think the engine can handle buildings of that magnitude.

Hell I built a 80x80 tile 40 unit apartment complex and half the time TileZed/Building Editor crashes just trying to work on it. Imagine you have a 20x20 - 40x40 tile building times 50 equaling out to what 100x100 or 200x200 tiles stacked up in a small area that size? They'd have to break it each into chunks of 8 story's possibly, then imagine the black walls going up or down in MP and the amount of zombies in a city with multiple buildings that high.

In MP it would be a nightmare, hell if you jumped out that high, you would probably crash hitting 6 different chunks on the way to the ground from loading too quickly.

Everything might be more possible in SP but MP will be screwed if that is the case.

Good luck Indie Stone.

Also if they don't fix how the rooftop view is going ingame. You'll be dead as soon as you reach Louisville. People had problems seeing in West Point downtown, imagine 70% of the city looking like downtown. West Point is also a small town. If you spawn in Louisville, you're basically blind, especially the upscale area.
You might spawn in a large apartment, enjoy running down 7 flights of stairs just to reach the outside, the apartments are probably populated with zombies. Louisville just sounds, painful. It'll be a pain for the devs to make and for the players to play.

Imagine the zombie populations. I can't even handle small farming town hordes. You'll probably have thousands of zombies lured as soon as you yell out "Hey i'm over here!"

Although, to be honest, apartment buildings would make for a pretty good defensible place in both SP and MP, as you only have to get rid of some stairs and the huge amount of zombies that populate the building.

As we know a lot of people tried to get to the bridges and cross over but the army blew them up, so indeed, while downtown and the river side of Louisville might be filled with zombies, the other places might be fairly empty. People either took shelter or had fled on the highway. A great deal died in the hospital as a radio broadcast confirms to us via an immune person that was in the hospital at the time everyone succumbed and died in it. "a lot of dead bodies... but I know that they won't stay dead for long". That means that anything in the vicinity of hospitals and clinics WILL BE FILLED with them. But some apartment buildings should be fairly empty. Staircases and hallway in large apartment buildings might indeed be the worst, as a lot of people could have died and came back to roam them, but smaller buildings shouldn't have that problem. The sooner they got out the further away they were when they died. 

In terms of the viewing in Louisvile, I bet that is why they are working on the Sims-style viewing. As for the size, perhaps they would add it in increments? We already have some of the outskirts and if they added it in stages based on the bridges and river, that would make sense. 

Of course, what I'm looking forward to in Louisville is fighting zombies in sewers because reasons (the basement 'doid post).

Louisville would be really cool though. If a few years pass then NPC"s come out, animations, clothing.

Well then maybe after 1.0 is released, we'll eventually adapt to Louisville, maybe make something like this.

5a20a4492df19_63_22(2).thumb.jpg.ff49adf2992a6394b2e32c795b15adf2.jpg5a20a64626c76_Crossed100-3-OldCountry(2).thumb.jpg.55a7d7704ad628ed33b3c909242b0d4f.jpg

Although if Indie Stone doesn't change the way they do zombie respawns then my town of NPC's will be losing citizens every day. Especially with Louisville, you can head to uptown, wipe out every zombie, then next day you'll find the same amount. Louisville is going to have a lot of problems when they release it. Just like how screwed up Riverside was in multiplayer.

On 30.11.2017 at 1:07 AM, Kennethdio said:

Who would actually loot 50 story buildings in Louisville? As cool and excited I am to see it, I'm really sure that nobody's going to loot the buildings taller than two stories,

Looks like you never played multiplayer.  Deez monsters will loot everything on the map, even litter.

2 hours ago, Kennethdio said:

Louisville would be really cool though. If a few years pass then NPC"s come out, animations, clothing.

Well then maybe after 1.0 is released, we'll eventually adapt to Louisville, maybe make something like this.

5a20a4492df19_63_22(2).thumb.jpg.ff49adf2992a6394b2e32c795b15adf2.jpg5a20a64626c76_Crossed100-3-OldCountry(2).thumb.jpg.55a7d7704ad628ed33b3c909242b0d4f.jpg

Although if Indie Stone doesn't change the way they do zombie respawns then my town of NPC's will be losing citizens every day. Especially with Louisville, you can head to uptown, wipe out every zombie, then next day you'll find the same amount. Louisville is going to have a lot of problems when they release it. Just like how screwed up Riverside was in multiplayer.

What comic is that from?

38 minutes ago, Brex said:

What comic is that from?

Crossed +100.

Warning: the enemies aren't really zombies, but are really similar.

100 years after a disease that releases everyone's most monstrous thoughts, the infected begin raping, killing, cannibalizing, self mutilating...etc. The uninfected individuals, heavily outnumbered hide, until 2050 where most of the Crossed died off due to them consuming their own babies, natural selection takes over and the smart ones live. 100 years later, humanity begins clearing off all the Crossed, build a society...etc. Their society is screwed by a huge amount of more organized Crossed tribes, which basically starts a war.

If you don't like improper human language, sex scenes, nudity, gore, and cannibalistic equivalents of Mongolian raiders, then I suggest you don't read it.

If you don't care, here's the link for the +100 comics.

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Crossed-Plus-One-Hundred

1 hour ago, DramaSetter said:

Looks like you never played multiplayer.  Deez monsters will loot everything on the map, even litter.

Now that you said that, I do remember seeing the entire downtown West Point in flames, After the place burned down, everyone scrambled into the downtown section and starting looting everything. THEY STOLE THE WOOD FLOORS. There was no more anything, counters, furniture, doors, all gone and dismantled. I'm really sure seeing unusable wood one day, then while scavenging the place where the wood was, is gone. Why would people take unusable wood?

1 hour ago, Brex said:

What comic is that from?

There's the Crossed Borderlands and other parts like a webcomic which has been finished in 2017 along with the rest of the crossed series I think. Glad to see I'm not the only one sick in the head to love this comic. Each comic after a few strips will change to different years, settings and characters, thus doing new stories to entertain :D

41 minutes ago, Legoland99 said:

There's the Crossed Borderlands and other parts like a webcomic which has been finished in 2017 along with the rest of the crossed series I think. Glad to see I'm not the only one sick in the head to love this comic. Each comic after a few strips will change to different years, settings and characters, thus doing new stories to entertain :D

Actually I had a hard time reading Crossed +100. The characters dialogue and slang is very odd, I had to keep on rereading it just to understand what everyone's saying. It sounds like cavemen and a mix of curse words.

Archived