The Flies Sound.

HaloCOws

The corpse decay and health effects systems are good ideas, great ones, I like them. But the sound effect they use for the flies to indicate the rotting bodies is absolutely atrocious. No word other than "Atrocious" describes it better. Even after all the tweaks they've done to the audio levels, It is still a constant and head ache inducing sound to listen to when around bodies, making it hard to think or focus on anything else. This is the first time that I have actually avoided playing newer builds for any reason,  just to avoid this sound effect. It should only be prevalent if the player chooses to have health impacts from corpse decay enabled on their save games.  Currently, with the option set to either state,  the flies stay. Two things need to happen, either a toggle is added for the flies sound effect instead of it being tied to ambient which if lowered sequentially lowers all of the other actually pleasant and good sound effects, leaving the flies STILL audible and overpowering on the players mind. Or, make the flies only make sound after 2-3 days. Currently if you kill a few zombies next to each other, the sound comes immediately. I'm not the only one, I've seen discussions/threads in which players were asking if there was any way to remove the sound completely, yet no solution. Please devs, take notice and don't let one single sound effect be the reason players like me with 746 logged hours stop playing the game completely. And for anyone that says "Just bury/burn the bodies.." I'll leave this image of my safe house here. Tell me if picking up and moving everyone of them, one by one, just to deal with a single sound effect sounds like a good use of their time. For the first time ever, a single sound effect has made the game unplayable for me in newer builds. I'm stuck to 37.14 just because it doesn't exist in this version.20170905221940_1.thumb.jpg.4465266bcc4525ac8ac4777a022e8508.jpg

I don't want to be that guy but look how many zombies are around your base! There would be so many flies! :-D

This is why I try not to kill any zombies near my base, or if I do, it's only one or two. Otherwise I lead them away.

Part of me thinks the sound effect needs to be changed because it is annoying. But on the other hand, IRL the sound of flies is annoying so maybe they've nailed it. Perhaps instead, as well as the intermittent sound effect mentioned above, some sort of smell moodle would be appropriate.

"A bit of a wiff"

"It smells"

"It stinks"

"It reeks"

"Fuck me, that smell killed the dinosaurs"

Something that is constantly on screen so the player is aware, combined with intermittent sound. Not just BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ like it is now.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

Yes - please add a toggle to enable/disable fly sounds.

I really don't need to hear if there are corpses nearby; I can usually see them - with that being said, a stink moodle is a good idea.

Shin

Considering being near corpses kills the player, it's rather important to be able to hear them.

Of course, this just means that should also be toggle-able, along with the sound. 

1 minute ago, EG Bot said:

Considering being near corpses kills the player, it's rather important to be able to hear them.

Of course, this just means that should also be toggle-able, along with the sound. 

I didn't even know this was a thing! Is it in the vehicle test build? (That's all I've been playing lately)

There definitely has to be some way of communicating the danger to the player, but that can be accomplished in other ways than the headache-inducing buzzing sound - ie I don't think the player has to hear them so much as have it made known to them.

The flies and the EBS alert on the TV both drive me batty. At least with the TV I can easily stop it by turning it off. :D

Shin

1 hour ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

I didn't even know this was a thing! Is it in the vehicle test build? (That's all I've been playing lately)

There definitely has to be some way of communicating the danger to the player, but that can be accomplished in other ways than the headache-inducing buzzing sound - ie I don't think the player has to hear them so much as have it made known to them.

The flies and the EBS alert on the TV both drive me batty. At least with the TV I can easily stop it by turning it off. :D

Shin

This killing mechanic is both in Vehicle and Iwbums build. It gives you "sick" moodle if you stay too long near them. Also, important to note: i think "fly sound" should appear only from first 1-5 zombies, not all 300-1000 coprses for example. Otherwise, sound become terrible and laggy..

Archived