Me when the car update happens

bearmasksenpai

Ikr ? Same here. It can barely move, my pc (potato) is processing it as if I were master-hacking the United Nation Data Servers or something .-_-.

But really now, I would like to see it be more optimized to slower working computers. It lags less without zombies from the tests I've made so maybe zeds/vehicles is what's causing them since the vehicle is faster than us so the zed spawn-tracking is not as fast on older pc's. I tried with all my settings from medium-high to low :/

Haha yeah, gaming on less than 8GB of RAM these days is generally not going to be an optimal experience. :)

To be honest I'm kind of surprised it can even be run at all on a system with only 2GB. I'd say the 8GB minimum has applied for at least.. 5 years or so? So for it to run on 2GB, which is also being gobbled by your operating system and whatever else may be running is an impressive accomplishment for Project Zomboid.

Check out www.newegg.com for new RAM. You'll want to look at the specifications for your motherboard to see what kind of memory is supported. You can find the information online or in the manual that came with your PC/parts. It's fairly inexpensive these days, outside of the ultra high end exotic stuff.

A lot of RAM won't do A lot in this game, I would say it's more CPU intensive. I have 16GB of RAM and it's still around 20 - 30 fps when driving, on foot it's 50 - 60. Though faster RAM would be better than alot of RAM.

It probably does have something to do with all the zeds spawning in because when you turn them off and drive around it's noticably better.

16 hours ago, Neutz said:

A lot of RAM won't do A lot in this game, I would say it's more CPU intensive. I have 16GB of RAM and it's still around 20 - 30 fps when driving, on foot it's 50 - 60. Though faster RAM would be better than alot of RAM.

It probably does have something to do with all the zeds spawning in because when you turn them off and drive around it's noticably better.

Yeah, but getting a new CPU is more expensive, and depending on the age of the rest of your parts (namely motherboard and memory) you may have to replace them all to work with a newer CPU. That and if those are laptops, upgrading RAM is more likely to be feasible than the CPU.

Windows 7/10 (64bit) both state 2GB of memory as the minimum requirement. That means that amount is already bare minimum for the operating system alone. Since I doubt those systems have SSDs there is a good chance that  a fair part of the poor performance is the system struggling with passing data constantly back and forth between the memory and the hard drive since there isn't enough memory to store everything needed. The cars move much faster than on foot so the game has to load and unload data at a much more rapid rate, that and they are still experimental and undoubtedly will get more optimizations. My advice would be to get 8GB of the fastest memory those systems can support, and an SSD if you aren't interested in getting a newer system.

Just loading up PZ on the vehicle build in a new game with nothing going on around it was sitting at 1.2GB of memory used. That will want to spike up the more there is around you and the longer you play, now that amount being split with Windows 7/10? That's going to be a throughput bottleneck.

It would also help to pick up a solid state drive. At least the file swapping would be a lot faster, even if the RAM was insufficient. It's also something you could keep using when you finally do upgrade the rest. Putting Windows on an SSD will make a *huge* difference for any system that supports one. I'd even go so far as to saying getting a solid state drive is the single most noticeable upgrade anyone can do to their system.

Another thing I didn't remember until just now is using an attached USB or SD card sort of like RAM extension, for those of you with little memory, check this out:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/is-readyboost-still-an-effective-tool-in-windows-10/

It explains what it is and has a good walkthrough of how to do it, it's not difficult.

Archived