The animations are done?

Ziggylata

Im not sure if I read this wrong but reading 

It’s been said before, but just so everyone’s on the same page – in the background to all this Bitbaboon Mark has the new animation code working with the vehicle branch on a toggle, so it can soon be present in a deactivated state throughout the rest of vehicle development.

This will ensure that we can start ‘turning on’ the various anims features so it all gets integrated as soon and as well as possible for the builds that follow vehicles. This will also make development of different concurrent builds backstage a lot easier in the mean-time, as well as maintaining test branches when they become needed.

today has really given me a bad impression on how the development of this is going right now. So you guys mean to tell me that you have the animations done and ready that we have been waiting for, some of us for years, and because of the vehicle branches we dont get to use them? I will 100% gladly trade in vehicles for the new animations honestly, weve done well without them so far and vehicles right now are so unstable and so uninteresting that I honestly just couldnt care. I wish you guys would just kind of do one thing at a time so this kind of stuff doesnt happen. I remember you teased the animation update years ago and I didnt want to play PZ anymore because "Im gonna wait for the new animations to come out soon" because I didnt think it would take almost two years since the actual video showcasing them to come out. Its disheartening, disappointing and while im grateful youre working on a game that I hold in such high regard, even I cannot deny the shoddy development schedule you guys have. I couldnt give any care at all about the vehicles or what theyre doing, all I really want is the new animations so I can experience the game in a better way.

If im wrong, feel free to tell me but that seems pretty crystal clear to me.

2 hours ago, Ziggylata said:

Im not sure if I read this wrong but reading 

today has really given me a bad impression on how the development of this is going right now. So you guys mean to tell me that you have the animations done and ready that we have been waiting for, some of us for years, and because of the vehicle branches we dont get to use them? I will 100% gladly trade in vehicles for the new animations honestly, weve done well without them so far and vehicles right now are so unstable and so uninteresting that I honestly just couldnt care. I wish you guys would just kind of do one thing at a time so this kind of stuff doesnt happen. I remember you teased the animation update years ago and I didnt want to play PZ anymore because "Im gonna wait for the new animations to come out soon" because I didnt think it would take almost two years since the actual video showcasing them to come out. Its disheartening, disappointing and while im grateful youre working on a game that I hold in such high regard, even I cannot deny the shoddy development schedule you guys have. I couldnt give any care at all about the vehicles or what theyre doing, all I really want is the new animations so I can experience the game in a better way.

If im wrong, feel free to tell me but that seems pretty crystal clear to me.

I think its not they probably done some various anim features but just like when they release vehicles theyre still incomplete and needed to update constantly. They need to finish vehicles first because theres going to be a lot of bugs if they add it right now probably game breaking because you have bugs on vehicles and bugs on anims and when they update theres going to be another bug. Its stressful if you think about it.

They're not 'done and ready' in the way that you've interpreted - so apologies if I've explained it poorly.

Mark has, to an extent, 'centralized' the animations code so it's all a part of the same build that'll be going out with vehicles - this means that devs working in different areas (vehicles, anims, whatever else) can all operate in the same codebase. It's like a dev debug toggle that provides a smoother ride when, as I say in the blog, we 'turn on' the various aspects of it one-by-one - and will prove invaluable once we start releasing test versions.

It's actually our way of making sure that vehicles get less in the way of anims, as opposed to the 'more' that you've taken from it - and also all part of our recent effort to improve our code and versioning processes given the recent influx of new developers. Bitbaboon, aka Mark and Steve, have backgrounds as Technical Directors at big game publishers have proved really invaluable in all this - as well as bringing plenty of cool ideas of their own to the background processes.

You can read more about the work that Mark's been up to in this blog, which is still fairly relevant I think: https://projectzomboid.com/blog/2017/07/rise-of-the-baboon/

Archived