Life on the Inside

Linda Burnett: Chapter 1

Day 1: Left Behind

I wake up find the kids and Owen gone. They didn't even leave a note. I know that Owen was mad at me after our fight, but I never thought he hated me that much. It hurts pretty bad. I have no idea where he took the kids, so for now I just have to stay alive, despite considering taking my own life. I just can't bring myself to do it. At least Owen left me the house keys.

The first step is to organize the house. I have to know what I've got to work with. I found a hammer and a baseball bat, among a few other miscellaneous supplies and food. They should serve me well. After I have everything sorted, I work on putting up curtains. The first floor is covered, but  I don't have anymore for the upstairs, so I'm going to have to have find some more.

Now I cautiously leave the house to go to the neighbors across the street. I hate them. There always complaining about our dog, who we had to put down a few days ago. He had this strange bite that would never go away. They were complaining anyway. There probably dead now. Serves them right. I kill a few infected out in the street, and am surprised at how quickly I'm able to defeat them. I try to open the door. It's locked. Now I try the window. Also locked. I go to the other side of the house and the window opens.

Yes! I think, congratulating myself on successfully breaking into the West household. The Wests are infected, and they climb out the window after me.

I quickly kill them too.

I climb in the window and loot the house, walking out the front door with a backpack of goods.

I have more supplies now. This is good. I can survive this!

I get ambushed on the street by a few of them, and I kill them too.

I go inside my house, put up the curtains, cook some stir fry and read a book on metalworking. Owen was into that kind of thing. Maybe I can learn something form it.

Day 2: News

It's very windy. And cloudy for that matter. I fell asleep reading that boring book. I step out of our . . . my bedroom and set it on the book shelf in the hall, before going downstairs and eating some ice cream for breakfast.

I decide to break into the other neighbors house. I broke my bat yesterday fighting the infected, so I grab my hammer and a frying pan on the just in case. I head out and kill 2 outside my house before cutting through their front yard and going in.

The living room tv was on, one of the infected standing there, staring at the static. I kill it, along with two in the kitchen. I then go upstairs and kill one in a bedroom before looting the house. I found some whiskey, a marked map, and a radio, among other things.

Now I have a way to hear news of what the hell's happening out there. I also have some alcohol. That might come in handy some day.

Saw a news report in the living room. It was set ot some news station, and it showed riots in D.C.. It said the public wanted answers.

So do I, but throwing a fit isn't going to get me or anyone else any answers

I get home and store my supplies. I then unfold the map and read it.

It's a map of Muldraugh. I easily find my house on the map and start reading the notes.

"Gunshots!"

"Too heavy. Had to leave some of it behind (with an x)"

"Still a ton of stuff still at the hardware store!"

All of these are near the hardware store. I am going to go there in the morning.

I go out to go loot another house on my street. They the just keep climbing out of the windows. My hammer breaks, and I run back to my house.

I get inside and it starts to rain, so I set up the radio and start listening in to different stations. Different stations. All the same news. Chaos. Secrets. Questions. Infection. Death. Eventually the rain gets strong enough that it blocks out the signal, and I go to sleep.

Day 3: The Inevitable End

Today's the day. I wake up and hear growling. I ready my frying pan and go downstairs. I open the front door and dozens poor inside. I escape the house and run continue the mission, reaching the hardware store.

The infected are everywhere. I grab some "weapons" from the shelves and run out the back door. I'm retaking my home.

I run back to my house and find it empty. The windows are broken. Curtains torn. Front door busted open. but empty. then they come back.

I run upstairs and into the bathroom, closing the door. I open it enough to let one in then close it. I do this multiple times, and it works. The door bursts off it's hinges, and they come in.

I stumble over the bodies of their fallen and open the window before jumping out.

I hit the ground. My ankle gives a wet snap and suddenly I can't move my right foot. they start to fall on my, burying me in their sheer mass, eating away at my flesh as I scream for help.

It never comes, and during my death I curse Owen and-

The End of Linda's Story

17 hours ago, Legoland99 said:

I woke up to* first sentence is wrong, correct it. Otherwise it seems rather fine with some mistakes here and there.

Thanks for pointing it out:). My goal was to try to do it in current tense, though I messed up in places.

Chapter 2: Stanley Rogers

Day 1: Stranded

I wake up in some strangers bedroom. I had wrecked my car on my way back home to Nebraska. I came in the area to visit some family. I arrived to my mom's house to find them all dead, and strange, zombie-like creatures chasing after me. I ran into the first safe looking house and hid.

I grab some food, water, and a baseball bat, along with a small collection of hammers for killing the zombies. I'm a big nerd with that stuff. I read zombie stories and I research ways to survive disasters. One of the common first things to do is grab an improvised weapon if there are zombies. Check.

On my way into town I passed what looked like a prison in the distance, and decide to whole up there, as my hopes of reaching home are very slim. I'd heard a story or watched a movie somewhere where they did that.

After a lot of running, I get trapped in an office building. Papers are scattered everywhere, and most of the windows are broken. Glass crunches under enarly every step. Zombies are following me. I manage to escape and run some more.

I reach the guard post, the prison very close. I decide to crash here for the night- it's getting dark and I don't want to be stuck out here.

• 4 weeks later...

Day 2: Mistakes

Needless to say, my plan, was a bad one.

I wake up that morning, full of hope and vigor. Then reality hits in.

I walk up to the fence and observe the parking lot. There are none in sight!

"This is good! Maybe this'll be easier than I thought it would! I bet they shipped all of the prisoners to a safer location! They cleared it all for me! The fools!" I actually say aloud.

"GROOOOOOOOOAAAN!!!" I hear

I look over my shoulder and zombies- most of which in prison jumpsuits -where pouring out of broken windows.

I scream and run. A group comes out of the woods, and I run into the parking lot. Bad idea. Now I'm cornered. I remember now how they died in that book I read.

The End of Stanley's Story

Chapter 3: Eric King; Muldraugh

Day 1: Scavenger

I wake up and turn on the tv. All I get is color bars, so I know it has to be pretty bad. I look out my window and see a few infected. Apparently they roam the streets now. I grab my baseball bat and go outside, killing multiple in my neighborhood. I then scavenge over their houses, taking what I needed, not wanted. They won't need it any more, will they?

It starts raining at about noon, and doesn't stop all day. I go inside and start reading a farming book I found, and fall asleep doing so.

• 1 month later...

Chapter 2 was mostly just a personal experiment to see how difficult it would be to try to take the prison, since most of my adventures are muldraugh based, and I had never experienced it with zombies- I tried without zombies once, couldn't get anywhere without keys :(. It has been a looong time since i've played or been on the forums, and since then there have been some updates. The world of Eric King is having issues because of this, so we can only assume that he (eventually) died. How still remains a mystery...

Chapter 4: George Martin; Muldraugh

Day 1:  The Restaurant

I stand in my kitchen. I walk over and rummage through the cabinets before finding a large knife with a blade about a foot long. I then walk into the storeroom and grab a hammer of the shelf as a back up weapon. I can hear Death howl in the form of the infected. I close all of the curtains in the main room, then take find a staff of drugs in the bathroom. Probably some junkie trying to hide their illegally obtained painkillers. I gather what little medical supplies I have in my office.

Knowing that barricading is the smart thing to do, I try to take apart a few tables in the backrooms, but am only able to salvage some nails. Depressed by my failure, I got outside.

Behind my business is a fenced in area where we keep the trash. An opening at the far end from the door leads to the small copse of trees outside the fence. An infected comes from around the fence, dripping blood off of its fingers. I stab it once it gets close, killing it instantly. I then move the trashcans in front of the opening, created a crude barrier between the outside and myself. I move one out of the way before scouting around my restaurant.

The diner down the street is swarmed, so I head back, killing a few infected in my way. I then scout the parking lot. A body of a woman sits there, being gnawed on by the wretches. I kill them, and grab the hiking pack that she had with her. I then go back and turn off all the lights, before eating some pie and going to sleep.

Day 2: Rude Awakenings

I wake up to the sound of breaking glass. I get up and brandish my knife before going out into the kitchen. An infected broke in through a window. I killed it, then went outside and saw one trying to get past my trashcan wall. I kill it too. Afterwards I'm hungry, so I make a steak and pepper stir-fry. After I ate my breakfast, I headed outside to check the perimeter.

A few where outside my fence, and there where about ten in the trees that I had to dispatch. I then headed over ot the diner. The doors and windows where all busted, but there wasn't a soul- living or dead -in sight. I scavenge it over, finding some food and a few shotgun shells. Shotgun shells!

After returning, I take the scrap wood from the doors and use it to board up the window, taking apart some tables in my own establishment to get some more usable lumber. I get hit with a sudden wave of tiredness, and fall asleep.

Archived