Alternative Unlocking Methods

Brex

One of the most irritating things about PZ is how you go about opening locked doors. Currently there are only three ways to get through a locked door: find the key, break it down, or disassemble it. Sometimes if you're lucky the key will spawn on a nearby zombie, but oftentimes you're sh*t outta luck. Breaking down doors takes a toll on your weapon health and is time-consuming, plus it leads to insecure rooms (especially if you're trying to open a locked door in your safehouse). Disassembling the door is also time-consuming, requires specific tools, and can't be done on every type of door. 

With that in mind, I have a few suggestions on alternative methods to opening locked doors: 

1. Kick that f*cker down. Or use your shoulder. Depending on your Strength and Fitness you should be able to kick open a locked door without injuring yourself. Of course this means the lock will be probably be busted, but at least you'll still have a door intact. 

2. Lockpicks. The most obvious solution, and could even be a brand new skill. Probably wouldn't work on all doors but if you've got a screwdriver and a paperclip, I'd say go for it. 

3. Breaching charges. Again, if you're not interested in being able to lock the door when you're done, this one's for you. Though it'll probably attract a LOT of attention. 

4. Shotgun. Blow off the lock with your trusty boomstick. Again, will destroy the lock and probably attract a f*ck-ton of zombies. 

5. Fire. Thermite, acetylene torches, any sort of flame you can get your hands on to melt or cut through the lock. Warning: chance to set fire to the surrounding area. 

All of these seem like more reasonable alternatives to breaking the door down or disassembling them. What do you guys think?   

I think firearm/bombs solution should be implemented and unarmed melee should deal some damage to the door, so if you don't mind getting totally exhausted, that's your way. Something along 1dmg per kick with 0.05 endurance loss. So you can take out 2 doors before they take you out.

I'm opposed to lockpicking as a trait/skill: too narrow usage.

Using fire is more like burning the house, but maybe using propane torch may be an option?

And usually you get into a house by... forcing open or breaking the nearest window. Or you can bring your friend the Sledgehammer for a piece of action next time you're in the neighborhood. Just saying.

As long as breaking doors in your safehouse concern goes, ugh... but why? The doors that matter are the external ones, and you usually barricade them all the way anyway, so just build a log wall instead of the door and you're fine.

3 hours ago, rez said:

I think firearm/bombs solution should be implemented and unarmed melee should deal some damage to the door, so if you don't mind getting totally exhausted, that's your way. Something along 1dmg per kick with 0.05 endurance loss. So you can take out 2 doors before they take you out.

I'm opposed to lockpicking as a trait/skill: too narrow usage.

Using fire is more like burning the house, but maybe using propane torch may be an option?

And usually you get into a house by... forcing open or breaking the nearest window. Or you can bring your friend the Sledgehammer for a piece of action next time you're in the neighborhood. Just saying.

As long as breaking doors in your safehouse concern goes, ugh... but why? The doors that matter are the external ones, and you usually barricade them all the way anyway, so just build a log wall instead of the door and you're fine.

My safehouse is the police station. Doors to the armory and jail cell were locked 

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

I'm still hoping we'll eventually be able to drive a car through the wall like an improvised battering ram on wheels.

As awesome as that would be, I doubt that will ever be implemented. Not for lack of interest but due to the limitations of the game engine. 

9 hours ago, myhappines said:

As i know, there are a mod in the steam workshop for lockpicking and opening doors with a crowbar. 

Also, like a game feature, I'd like to see lockpicking in thief's profession, not only house doors, also locked vehicles.

Yes, ability to do that by choosing thief profession. Skill for that is not needed, it's like adding new skill for opening windows/eating.

• 8 months later...