RELEASED: Vehicle Test 41

RobertJohnson

12 hours ago, Brex said:

- The whole interior/exterior cutaway thing, in my opinion, just isn't working out. Too often I lose sight of my character behind buildings that haven't cut away resulting in my guy blundering into an unseen zombie and getting killed. Plus it's super frustrating when trying to barricade windows, whenever you move the building keeps flashing full/cut away. It's a nightmare on the eyes. I honestly had no problem with how it was before. 

Yeah something's happened in the build to regress a lot of ChrisW's improvements for this - he's digging into it at the moment. 

EDIT:

Fairly sure that this stems from the following fix in Vehicles Build 30. I'm no coder, but I am a betting man and this looks like a potential offender that also fits the timeframe of the regression.

"Fixed walls obscuring the player when on a staircase."

I've raised a distress flare about it on the internal task system, but the rescue party probably won't be bringing a new build until after Christmas at this point.

Happy holidays to all, I want to congratulate TIS for the good work done in relation to the bug that prevented me from playing, and I do not get black screen every time I hit! o_0 many improvements from b29 to b31 in terms of fps. I would like to know if you are dealing with the sounds of the motors because they are just what is missing, for the linux version to be "normal". taking into account that I am European and new in the game how and what can I do to change the speed of the car to appear to me in European measure? km / hr?

I just tried starting a Chevalier Nyalia with 7 failures in a row, and it has 100% in engine, battery, and muffler.

Please look at the RNG logic controlling vehicle starting - the failure rates seem to be far too high.

Also, with a new game the horn is not defaulting to 'Q', and there's some strange text in the descriptor box. Changing the horn to 'Q' replaces the shout binding with 'H'. The game should NOT force a 1-1 mapping between keys and actions.

Shin

171221-HornOptions.jpg

Edited by Shinjitsu noDeshi

48 minutes ago, EasyPickins said:

Here is a fix for the delay when performing actions that occurs when many zombies are around.

Unzip this into the zombie/vehicles/ directory.  It will replace a bunch of .class files.

zombie_vehicles_PathDelayFix.zip

Seems better, though I'm having trouble finding alarmed buildings to trigger. Car alarms and horns don't seem to be preventing the getting in / exiting cars anymore, though. Zombies don't seem to be infinitely walking into the same wall.

Once tons of zombies start responding, the game starts pausing like it's running the GC. This was happening prior to your chances, though.

There are a few odd places where the graphics drawing order still seems a little "squidgy." 

heres one at mccoy where the girders are not drawn correctly.

Also, i've noticed that some windows don't give the "add sheet" functionality from inside- you have to navigate to outside the building and add the curtains there. not sure what causes that. 

wOnpplo.png

Made a new character, I have another round of issues with the mechanic system.

Currently it is impossible to gain XP or at the most extremely unfeasible.

The only things a level 1 mechanic can do - 

Battery change - No XP

Tire swap - No XP

Headlight swap - No XP

I attempted some riskier tasks that a level 1 should not be doing for reasons of part preservation

Hood uninstall - No XP

Hood install - No XP

Front window uninstall - No XP

So currently there is no way to gain XP for beginners.

I understand that you are concerned with people grinding XP by uninstalling and installing items, but the key to rounding out this conundrum is to have these tasks take long or to tie the gain to the item. If a player is willing to spend a long amount of time working on something, it would make sense for them to gain XP for it. Otherwise, all this system is good for for those at low levels that aren't able to modify their skills is breaking parts and battery changes. I only reached level one through the amateur mechanic trait.

Additionally, uninstalling and re-installing parts is how a lot of mechanics learn the craft, by re-assembling things until they know how it works.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

3 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

I understand that you are concerned with people grinding XP by uninstalling and installing items, but the key to rounding out this conundrum is to have these tasks take long or to tie the gain to the item. If a player is willing to spend a long amount of time working on something, it would make sense for them to gain XP for it. Otherwise, all this system is good for for those at low levels that aren't able to modify their skills is breaking parts and battery changes. I only reached level one through the amateur mechanic trait.

Additionally, uninstalling and re-installing parts is how a lot of mechanics learn the craft, by re-assembling things until they know how it works.

I'm ok with mechanic tasks taking a bit longer to complete - eg installing or uninstalling a headlight, changing tires, replacing brakes - but I certainly don't want to tie it to a particular item. I'd hate to have to find a new headlight to monkey with every time I want to practice the skill.

What if the developers were to add character damage to failed mechanic attempts, instead of damaging the parts? Cut your hand because your tool slipped when trying to install the headlight, or the tire fell off the plate-thingy and onto your foot when trying to change it.?

Shin

I think the mechanic xp implements should follow the precedents set by carpentry where possible. I'm not exactly sure what that means... other than to say adding wounds from slipped tools amd the like may be reinventing the (proverbial) wheel.

Edited by trombonaught
Alcohol

50 minutes ago, trombonaught said:

Where possible I think the mechanic xp implements should follow the precedents set by carpentry where possible. I'm not exactly sure what that means... other than to say adding wounds from slipped tools amd the like may be reinventing the (proverbial) wheel.

Agreed. I'm just throwing out ideas, since with all the other skills you basically destroy something to get parts, and then make something else from those parts. I don't see that pattern working well with the cars...

Shin

54 minutes ago, Zorak said:

Just add daily xp cap for some professions. That will stop grinding.

this is clearly the solution, you can grind but not constantly, also you should make a larger noise for mechanic working, make it attract more zombies to even it out

It can be like only first 10 actions in given profession will give you xp. And then you can decide what you want to do: simple things to get xp in easy way or try more complicated stuff at the risk of damaging parts, but the xp reward is higher.

19 hours ago, EasyPickins said:

Here is a fix for the delay when performing actions that occurs when many zombies are around.

Unzip this into the zombie/vehicles/ directory.  It will replace a bunch of .class files.

zombie_vehicles_PathDelayFix.zip

Thanks! works a lot better. Tried it in my back up safehouse right in the middle of downtown West Point (it's pretty crowded so I thought it would be the perfect place). There is still a slight delay, the char stays still for like a second before starting to do the assigned task, but it is a huge improvement. :-)

Out of curiousity, was the forest areas around Muldraugh (and possibly other towns) thinned out?

I used to be able to drag a herd a couple dozen steps into the forest, and then make a 90 left/right turn to lose them. Just before turning, I couldn't see them and they couldn't see me - now there's still a pretty good line of sight, and it's much more difficult to lose zombies this way.

Shin

On 12/22/2017 at 10:59 AM, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

Just started another new game, and found a "Lane's Auto Manual - Standard Models." I have neither taken the "Amateur Mechanic" trait, nor have I read any of the vehicle magazines, but this one is showing as "already read."

Shin

I also have been encountering this

On 12/21/2017 at 7:12 PM, Kim Jong Un said:

Made a new character, I have another round of issues with the mechanic system.

Currently it is impossible to gain XP or at the most extremely unfeasible.

The only things a level 1 mechanic can do - 

Battery change - No XP

Tire swap - No XP

Headlight swap - No XP

I attempted some riskier tasks that a level 1 should not be doing for reasons of part preservation

Hood uninstall - No XP

Hood install - No XP

Front window uninstall - No XP

So currently there is no way to gain XP for beginners.

The only way to get xp is to remove/install seats

On 12/22/2017 at 2:13 PM, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

Out of curiousity, was the forest areas around Muldraugh (and possibly other towns) thinned out?

I used to be able to drag a herd a couple dozen steps into the forest, and then make a 90 left/right turn to lose them. Just before turning, I couldn't see them and they couldn't see me - now there's still a pretty good line of sight, and it's much more difficult to lose zombies this way.

Shin

Which forest areas? There's a couple of trails through the forest areas off the highway that you can just squeeze a car through if you learn where they are you can use those for dragging zombies off the highway parking lots and loot spots.

1 hour ago, TheZombiesPro115 said:

Which forest areas? There's a couple of trails through the forest areas off the highway that you can just squeeze a car through if you learn where they are you can use those for dragging zombies off the highway parking lots and loot spots.

To be more specific, I was referring to being on foot; so to answer your question, pretty much any of the forested areas across the main drag from the shops in Muldraugh. Here, for example.

With the vehicles, I'll start here and slowly zig-zag back and forth across the street honking the horn to gather as many zombies together as I can, working my way up to this road before circling back to Muldraugh. When I get to the end point, I'd guess I have close to 2k zombies following me (I like to play with insane hordes and no respawns.) This didn't work out so well for me on my current playthrough because there was a two-car wreck on the gravel road at the end, so I had to abandoned my vehicle and run back to Muldraugh on foot.

I'll do the same thing going in the opposite direction, but coming back into town on this road which dumps out by The Rusty Rifle.

Shin

13 minutes ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

To be more specific, I was referring to being on foot; so to answer your question, pretty much any of the forested areas across the main drag from the shops in Muldraugh. Here, for example.

With the vehicles, I'll start here and slowly zig-zag back and forth across the street honking the horn to gather as many zombies together as I can, working my way up to this road before circling back to Muldraugh. When I get to the end point, I'd guess I have close to 2k zombies following me (I like to play with insane hordes and no respawns.) This didn't work out so well for me on my current playthrough because there was a two-car wreck on the gravel road at the end, so I had to abandoned my vehicle and run back to Muldraugh on foot.

I'll do the same thing going in the opposite direction, but coming back into town on this road which dumps out by The Rusty Rifle.

Shin

2.4 multiplier with respawns every 6 months is what I like to rock

Bugs I discovered so far:

Most annoying ones:

1. Sometimes I can't enter the car, even if I have key and the green square shows that I should be able to enter inside (I press "E" many times), no matter in which direction I turn my character, it doesn't work at all, this bug appears mostly in cars parked in irregular way diagonally, when part of the car is on grass, and the other part of the car is at the road (not sure if it matters). Maybe it should be right click option to enter to car as driver if it's not possible to fix this issue?

2. When my character is bleeding and I want to apply bandage then bandage is pulled from backpack first, instead of using the one is already in inventory, it's so waste of time, especially when horde is chasing me.

Odd bug:

(Not sure if it matters, but I played character with luck trait, and that character died, I started with new one, without luck trait).

3. All parked cars that I discovered with this new character having 0 fuel. Previous character was able to discover a car with some fuel, and now all cars I discover having no fuel at all, even on very crowd parking lot. And it's just one week after apocalypse.

Less annoying bug:

4. Burned card are flying above the ground.

Edited by Lucas