RELEASED: Vehicle Test 41

RobertJohnson

15 minutes ago, SonaGX said:

I don't mind the idea of having, say a radiator, but making each and every part match real life is realistic, but it will destroy gameplay.

Yeah, i totally agree that some parts couldn't add a "positive way" for the game, as specified brake and alternator (part, not the  effect). With desire to make disappear the annoyance of lake of something to do aside PutMyAxeInAZombieHead (No minded game), sometimes I do as them (who want only to PutTheirAxeInTheZombieAss), I talked too quickly.

Edited by arkahys

3 hours ago, SonaGX said:

@ze_Heroneus - There is a known bug right now that if you have both your server settings vehicle setting option on and your game options vehicle setting enable, that vehicles won't turn on.  Start a new game with your server settings vehicle option off and vehicles will spawn as expected.

Thank you I forgot about this one.

So this time cars spawn  but the dashboard of every car I tried to use showed dead engine and batterie. But the mechanist screen showed the opposit (I tried "normal" and  "very high" for the server option for car condition). 20180324180414_1.thumb.jpg.b9036c961defb69fb9bf53551d562bef.jpgevery car 

17 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Tested it out. Cars are getting a charge while running with a battery in SP. Starting an engine reduced it to 97% then after a few minutes of driving it raised to 100%. Things like the radio, heater, siren, and lights didn't seem to cause it to start dropping.

Anything I missed?

I took the OP's comment to mean there should be an alternator part in the vehicle. I tend to agree - I was surprised to see a "heater" part but no "alternator" part...

Shin

Edited by Shinjitsu noDeshi

26 minutes ago, ze_Heroneus said:

So this time cars spawn  but the dashboard of every car I tried to use showed dead engine and batterie. But the mechanist screen showed the opposit (I tried "normal" and  "very high" for the server option for car condition). every car 

Z_H, did you try turning the car on?  I believe those always show red until the car is actually started.  Maybe my memory is wrong.  This kind of mimics real life in the 90s to be honest.  If my memory serves correctly when you put your key in the ignition a lot of cars used show a red/yellow battery indicator to signify the battery is not receiving a charge since the engine is not on.  

Edited by SonaGX

Horns and alarms seem to have too short of an activation range on the zombies. In the attached screenshot, I had been honking the white station wagon's horn for a minute (alternating between short and long bursts) and the zombies to the top and left of the screen hadn't moved at all.

Somewhere off screen towards the bottom right, a house alarm went off, with no effect on them either.

Shin

180324-Horn.jpg

@shin - I wonder if that's a lag issue.  For me zombies come across the map for house alarms.  IMO it's too big of a range.  I've always noticed an odd lag with zombie behavior when honking the horn and moving.  Like for a while they go to where they first heard the sound before switching to the most recent horn honk location.

18 minutes ago, SonaGX said:

@shin - I wonder if that's a lag issue.  For me zombies come across the map for house alarms.  IMO it's too big of a range.  I've always noticed an odd lag with zombie behavior when honking the horn and moving.  Like for a while they go to where they first heard the sound before switching to the most recent horn honk location.

I thought that might have something to do with it too - and it certainly might - but I was parked in that same position for the entire honk test, and had actually been there longer, just idling, before starting the test.

I've had zombies come up to where I just was and stop entirely, and another couple further off (which were idling) begin to move towards me. Even though the first group was just within arms length of my vehicle, they wouldn't move any closer until the group further away got "closer". It's almost like there are too many actions queued up for the game to process at the same time.

Before the zombie pathing was changed, the car horn used to bring everything on screen and a good chunk of off screen straight to my vehicle.

Edit -

This is with insane hordes on the older versions and in the recent screenshot.

Shin

2 minutes ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

It's almost like there are too many actions queued up for the game to process at the same time.

Shin

I've definitely seen that.  The behavior is definitely different when there are 20-30 zombies responding vs when there is a much larger number like 100 or more.

6 hours ago, SonaGX said:

Z_H, did you try turning the car on?  I believe those always show red until the car is actually started.  Maybe my memory is wrong.  This kind of mimics real life in the 90s to be honest.  If my memory serves correctly when you put your key in the ignition a lot of cars used show a red/yellow battery indicator to signify the battery is not receiving a charge since the engine is not on.  

I did try. The car did not start. The battery is green and the engine is grey before turning the car on (at least on my other game).

Edited by ze_Heroneus

6 hours ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

I thought that might have something to do with it too - and it certainly might - but I was parked in that same position for the entire honk test, and had actually been there longer, just idling, before starting the test.

I've had zombies come up to where I just was and stop entirely, and another couple further off (which were idling) begin to move towards me. Even though the first group was just within arms length of my vehicle, they wouldn't move any closer until the group further away got "closer". It's almost like there are too many actions queued up for the game to process at the same time.

Before the zombie pathing was changed, the car horn used to bring everything on screen and a good chunk of off screen straight to my vehicle.

Edit -

This is with insane hordes on the older versions and in the recent screenshot.

Shin

I did some further testing on this, and firearms still work wonders for attracting hordes. A shotgun blast will bring everything to your locale that's on the screen, and even some stuff that's off the edge. It seems to be something related specifically to vehicle noises and horns (and possibly house/car alarms.)

Shin

21 hours ago, ze_Heroneus said:

So this time cars spawn  but the dashboard of every car I tried to use showed dead engine and batterie. But the mechanist screen showed the opposit (I tried "normal" and  "very high" for the server option for car condition). every car 

Hi, ze_Heroneus! Could you provide a little more detail on the set up of the (hosted?) game, please? How many vehicles you've tried? How do you get keys? I am trying to replicate the issue and I get a variety of vehicle "states".

15 hours ago, Minnigin said:

So just for fun I upped the resolution to 1920 x 1080 ( I usually use 1440 for PZ ) and I gained 30-40 frames in every aspect, hell even the UI sped up by a ton, gonna play on 1920 from now on :)

That's cool if you can play in native resolution. I personnaly up too some settings ( pass player+2 > player+10 ), and allow me a little bit more the zoom out.
I'm not a casual players, even if I pass less time on games. With this playing week, I realize that somes action fails due to UI by playing "too fast" (I'm playing with keybord/mouse) are very common so that, by now, I wait 1/2 sec before release mouse on EACH container when i transfert something to be sure the transfert not be aborted. When I farm, I usually pass less than 1 sec by container (overview/selection/transfert). this failure/restraint, give me the game very less pleasant to play... 
TIS says that the UI nerf was for some extra FPS, there was many improvement on performance AND a nerf on UI.
I think and hope that the UI part is only a little part of performance gain and is a thing as the speed nerf was some release ago : will be adjusted !
I totally don't care about the "unsmooth transfert progress bar", but the game reaction and response remains a priority.

Aside : In a past release we can transfert by stack, and this experience was as pleasing as saving for little objects (the best exemple for me is seeds). A work on it,  even only for object less than 0.3 and by 5, could be very appreciable !

Edited by arkahys

fixed my super lootbox lag.  in my options fps was set to uncapped.

set that to 60 and i can play the game again !!

have noticed - after you cut down a tree you get black squares.  sometimes after chopping tree the UI flashes white (all boxes flash white then black)

lasts a second.

anyway i will admit i have no idea what cap framerate does  - or is supposed to do. so maybe i still have that set wrong.

if anyone one knows what its supopsed to be please let me know

ta

32 minutes ago, junglistjim said:

fixed my super lootbox lag.  in my options fps was set to uncapped.

set that to 60 and i can play the game again !!

have noticed - after you cut down a tree you get black squares.  sometimes after chopping tree the UI flashes white (all boxes flash white then black)

lasts a second.

anyway i will admit i have no idea what cap framerate does  - or is supposed to do. so maybe i still have that set wrong.

if anyone one knows what its supopsed to be please let me know

ta

Interesting twist. Will try it on my end, later. I generally don't use Uncapped because it actually makes my GPU's fan awaken, but it's good for a novelty!

The problem sounds similar to cars: After EP looked at the issue, it became evident that the cause was the game being unable to run the framerate cap I set when fully zoomed out. Say the cap was set to 244  and the game could only run at 40. The tires would turn much slower.

On 24/03/2018 at 6:51 PM, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

Horns and alarms seem to have too short of an activation range on the zombies. In the attached screenshot, I had been honking the white station wagon's horn for a minute (alternating between short and long bursts) and the zombies to the top and left of the screen hadn't moved at all.

Somewhere off screen towards the bottom right, a house alarm went off, with no effect on them either.

Shin

Hey, Shin, which scenario and starting conditions you've got in your game?

20 hours ago, Pandorea said:

Hi, ze_Heroneus! Could you provide a little more detail on the set up of the (hosted?) game, please? How many vehicles you've tried? How do you get keys? I am trying to replicate the issue and I get a variety of vehicle "states".

Hello Pandorea,

Sure.  It's a new MP game I created for testing purposes. I used the 6 month later preset ans I changed the following settings in the Sandbox - Vehicle tab :

- Easy use : checked

- Car spawn rate : high

- Initial gas : high

- General condition : very high

Vehicle Enable opotion in the INI - Vehicles tab is uncheck.

What else do you need to know?

I tried around 20 cars in Westpoint (near the gigamart and the gas station) and the Mall. I also tried a few in Muldraugh this morning.

EDIT: I'v just tried without changing the Initial gas and General condition options. Engine and battery are still dead in every car I checked.

No mod was used on this server but I have not unsubscribed from all my mods. Can they interfere even if they are not enabled?

Edited by ze_Heroneus

1 hour ago, ze_Heroneus said:

Hello Pandorea,

Sure.  It's a new MP game I created for testing purposes. I used the 6 month later preset ans I changed the following settings in the Sandbox - Vehicle tab :

- Easy use : checked

- Car spawn rate : high

- Initial gas : high

- General condition : very high

Vehicle Enable opotion in the INI - Vehicles tab is uncheck.

What else do you need to know?

I tried around 20 cars in Westpoint (near the gigamart and the gas station) and the Mall. I also tried a few in Muldraugh this morning.

EDIT: I'v just tried without changing the Initial gas and General condition options. Engine and battery are still dead in every car I checked.

No mod was used on this server but I have not unsubscribed from all my mods. Can they interfere even if they are not enabled?

Click on the battery in the list. What's the charge (not the condition)?

I'm betting it's going to be 0%. Pretty much any mode that's a few weeks / months after the apocalypse is just nothing but dead batteries. 

8 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I'm betting it's going to be 0%. Pretty much any mode that's a few weeks / months after the apocalypse is just nothing but dead batteries. 

..beat me to it! :)

All batteries are at 0%

4 hours ago, Pandorea said:

Hey, Shin, which scenario and starting conditions you've got in your game?

Hi Pandorea -

SP, Muldraugh

Custom Sandbox - based on "First Week" settings with the following changes:

Population:

Count = Insane

Nature:

Erosion Speed = Fast (50 days)

Sadistic AI Director:

Helicopter = Sometimes

Vehicle:

Zombie Attraction Multiplier = 1.0  (default)

Locked Frequency = Sometimes

Car Alarms Frequency = Never

Zombie Lore:

Cognition = Navigate (default)

Hearing = Poor (default)

Zombie House Alarm Triggering = checked

Advanced Zombie Options:

Population Mult = 4.0

Respawn Hours = 0.0

Cognition under zombie lore looks new since I last checked? What does that setting do? (Tooltips on the dropdown boxes would be a great addition!)

Note - I've been using these settings since the vehicle patch came out (except of course those settings added since that point.)

And of further note - house alarms seem to work quite well. On some other playthroughs after my post above, I've had zombies dragged from far off right screen to far off left screen due to an alarm.

Is there a way I could attach my game setup?

Shin

2 hours ago, Pandorea said:
2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

..beat me to it! :)

All batteries are at 0%

You are right. I did not know that battery had condition and charge. I haven't played much with the mechanic part yet.

Thank you for your help and sorry.

The only performance issue I'm seeing is when driving around large sections of the map and loading many map chunks at once, I start to lock up for seconds at a time.  Is this expected behavior or a known issue?  If not I'll play with my settings more to see if I can fix it locally.