RELEASED: Vehicle Test 41

RobertJohnson

7 minutes ago, lemmy101 said:

can you try validating the cache for the server thru steam? I think something's gone amiss with the download

4 minutes ago, Lorien said:

I noticed that when you start the Server Using StartServer64.bat, Steam think it's not running therefore updates it while the server is running and several files are not updated due to being in use. SO I always have to do a Verify after I shutdown the server.

Thank you for that, didn't know this could be an issue on my end.

Server has launched successfully after verifying.

2 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Thank you for that, didn't know this could be an issue on my end.

Server has launched successfully after verifying.

Perfect now please don't push that big red button on your desk as a Tank you. ;)

Hey, don't know if it's been mentioned before but why do we have 360 vision while in cars? I think the normal rotate with mouse vision would work fine in cars too, returning to the front like when walking.

8 hours ago, lemmy101 said:

Reverted the damaging muffler while driving balance & lowered the chance of damaging it.
Increased the odds of damaging the muffler while driving.

I'm not sure if this was an improvement or not.

My muffler, from 100%, depleted by 3% from a simple drive from one end of the parking lot at the country club to the road outside of it. Replacing mufflers like this is starting to get old, I feel like giving up and just letting it be loud.

Changing mufflers are not part of regular vehicle maintenance. Stuff like fluids and tire pressure is, but when I maintain the fleet each month IRL I don't pop off an exhaust system and put new ones on because that's not how it works.

Clearly something needs to be addressed with the logic here. Ever since the muffler degradation has been put in play, it has consistently:

A. Depleted 10-fold faster than gasoline. At the current rate, 2-3 muffler changes between fill-ups. This is really odd pacing and makes no sense from a gameplay or realism side. I can understand if I am running over a crawler or a stump why there might be damage, but a daily driving will not damage your muffler in any significant way unless you are doing something you shouldn't.

2. Short drives over dirt and grass damage the muffler. This would make sense if the earth wasn't flat, but it's flat and currently parking my car on the grass is damaging the vehicle. In an old quote from @RobertJohnson before this was implemented this was not meant to be the case, however the small drive back on to the pavement from outside of the house takes off 1% or 2% of my muffler at a time.

Unless your vision includes players replacing mufflers faster than they pump gas and that they get damaged in a way any player who doesn't know the meta can understand, I'm really confused as to why the odds for damage have been increased. Drivers in the game are being punished for something they cannot control and will find themselves ditching otherwise perfectly healthy vehicles on the side of the road because mufflers are falling off of the back of the car after several drives on the highway.

In real context, this doesn't make sense either, since this isn't something a mechanic giving your car their half-annual checkup will do. Replacing mufflers often (or even occasionally) just isn't a thing. It becomes a thing if the driver, say, ran over a stump, body, rock etc. But never from daily driving.

For reference, I have a 2005 Pontiac Pursuit with the stock exhaust system on it. I've driven between towns, on gravel roads to farms, even parked on grassy lawns for summer fairs and what not.

For well over 10 years, daily driving hasn't done any significant damage to the exhaust system. What did damage it was running over a piece of concrete debris. Granted, I am a safe driver that has been driving for a while, however anybody can hear a screeching metal sound from their car if their muffler hits anything. To have this just be a regular thing with no explanation whatsoever - increased random chance is much worse - just seems like an excessive gamey thing that hasn't been working out since it has been introduced.

This is something that has been implemented with extreme excess and these incremental drops in chance aren't fixing the core problem, let alone increasing the odds of damage. Something in the logic for how it works, doesn't work.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

There seems to be new visual problems that are fairly major that definitely were not there before.

As every house on this block was affected I am assuming it is universal, but this is where I checked http://map.projectzomboid.com/?#0.48298493745722243,0.11804877717150784,31.815846846772118 - keep in mind this is a new occurrence, so I wouldn't say this is tied to the general area. Did not see it happen in the country club, however.

Spoiler

D5204228210EEE24D6E065E43FAB6F6549714947

F778869706D107F62A9CD8A901C2D4B488D18207

Additionally, a few rooms on the second floor did not react when I clicked the light switch. The sound effect did not play for me flicking them either.

I fully agree with Kim; the muffled degradation is batshit crazy. I mean, if the real world went by that logic, we'd have more Muffler Replacement Shops than we do Gas Stations. 

How about we set it to a more reasonable wear-out rate like that of suspension or brakes, or maybe even tires. Otherwise it's just a hassle.

3 minutes ago, Lorien said:

Oh, what the fook :D

14 hours ago, eirc said:

Hey, don't know if it's been mentioned before but why do we have 360 vision while in cars? I think the normal rotate with mouse vision would work fine in cars too, returning to the front like when walking.

Not sure if that's just me, but I feel it would look quite iffy and clunky to have viewing angles while in cars. 

On 2018-02-19 at 2:59 PM, arkahys said:

a post remind that : for 7years player can read, make wall, cook,etc... in totally dark !
As player say "i don't understand" etc.. when reading a too difficult level book, he should say "I don't see anything !" when perform a cook, build, read, farm, forage, in totally dark. Add a real good challenges. ( so, I imagine already to put my car face to a wall with light on to manage to end my wall after sunset ! )

I love this idea! Would add difficulty as you said and make logical sense.

Had a strange little bug happen to us. that I've not experienced before.

We fueled up a taxi and was driving it around, looking for another car. We stopped in a parking lot, bf (host) turned off the car, and he lost the key. (Neither of us had lost any keys at all this update, so that was a surprise.) No big deal. we thought, as we found two new cars. We grabbed them, and started to head back the way we came so that we could fuel them up at the gas station.

On our way back, there was a yellow taxi in the road, just like the one we "abandoned", that had not been there before

We ignored it, and pulled in to the gas station, where there was another yellow taxi near the pumps that had also not been there before. We refueled our new cars, took them to our base and walked back to the taxi. Not only was the taxi not there prior to losing our original taxi, but both this taxi and the one we passed in the road had the key in the ignition, were running,  and had full fuel, as if somehow our original taxi duplicated while we were driving, lol.

I would have zero ideas as to how you would replicate this. But here is the sequence of events:
1: I found the taxi, fueled it up, picked up the host
2: I exited the taxi while it was still running to fuel a gas tank
3: Host used radial menu to switch to driver seat, I jump back in the passenger side
4: Host drives to a parking lot where there are a lot of zeds, he herds them for a bit with the taxi
5: I jump out, take another vehicle, bring it back to base, get back in the taxi
6: Return to same parking lot, host parks car, he loses key on engine shut off
7: We find new cars, head back, and see duplicates of "lost" taxi along the way

This all took place in West Point, from the gas station on the road to Muldraugh (by the warehouse and burger diner), to the parking lot of the Pizza Whirled that is just off the road to Muldraugh.

Also, hitting a zed or two seems to cause extreme slowdown of the vehicle that I didn't experience before. Feels sluggish and not so fun, especially coupled with the fact that they do good damage to the car when struck, and the fact that some zeds still barely even get knocked down when hitting them. There's too many zeds in this world for a small amount of them to have such an impact on the car... at least, that's my opinion.
And it seems that you can no longer see the amount of gas you have in the Mechanic screen. It will always say Capacity 0/26, which almost looks more like it is showing you a seat? 

You guys are doing great! We really appreciate the work you are doing.

Edit: So, after playing most of the day, it doesn't matter who is driving, or if drivers were switched while the car was running. We had cars duping themselves all day, just about any car we drove, either together or separately, we ended up finding a dupe of.
Also, just now, we had a van stocked with guns and ammo after hitting up the police station. We brought it home, went back out, and there were two dupes of the van, and those dupes were also stocked with guns and ammo. xD
We did not lose any keys today.

However, the vehicles duping themselves and all the items they are carrying is pretty game-breaking. Not just from the item/car standpoint, but it pulls all the zombies from where they should be in the area, to this random running car.

Edited by SonaGX
Added to the vehicle bug

15 hours ago, Blake81 said:

I fully agree with Kim; the muffled degradation is batshit crazy. I mean, if the real world went by that logic, we'd have more Muffler Replacement Shops than we do Gas Stations. 

How about we set it to a more reasonable wear-out rate like that of suspension or brakes, or maybe even tires. Otherwise it's just a hassle.

Yeah, over the years I have damaged muffler while I was driving on a very bad road. I also damaged front bumber and oil pan during the incident, so muffler wasn't my biggest problem.. not even if there was a zombie acopalypse.

I don't know if it's a thing in PZ but I would love to see sitting car condition decrease over the time. I bet that in real life you wouldn't be able to start any car that had been sitting on road over the winter - battery dies, oil degrates and gas tank collects moisture and condense.

One bug to report: You can read skill book and sleep simultaneosly in a car.

On 3/9/2018 at 6:37 PM, OffitMan said:

Exactly. I always thought it was my guy using the side and rear view mirrors.

ok that does make sense but still mirrors don't even come close to the vision a car offers right now.  i feel we're missing the edge walking vision puts us in when in cars.

16 hours ago, eirc said:

ok that does make sense but still mirrors don't even come close to the vision a car offers right now.  i feel we're missing the edge walking vision puts us in when in cars.

I agree with eirc, look at it this way, if you're using the mirror to look behind the car than whatever is in front of you wouldn't be seen until you looked back at the windshield. Maybe just make the view snap back to front after you release ctrl key.

edit : this would also make playing with others have a new perk, spotter passengers. Give all the passengers in the same vehicle access to each others viewing, in game realism going on would be like "Hey Bob whats behind us?" "There's zombies" "Cool thanks Bob, now I'm aware of them too"

Edited by Minnigin

Haven't played for about two weeks. And now I have a texture problems loading my save or even starting a new game in "Vehicle Test 38.1". What can it be?

***UPD. I always use 2x textures with texture compression(?) option. Cuz it's lagging without it.

So I switched to "no compression" option and I've got a terrain textures back, but car's textures are gone now. (screenshot №2) And it's lagging of course...

20180312122342_1.jpg

20180312154800_1.jpg

Edited by icexenom

Vehicles test Version 38.1, multiplayer hard mode.

Reporting in a similar issue as SonaGX. While we do nor appear to be losing car keys as much (do not think we have since the new version) we are suffering from this new duplicate car bug. 

I happens with vehicles driven by the both the host as well as joined players. I had not connected it yet to hitting zombies; the duplications appear fairly random. 

Inventory will always be the same as when it was duplicated (only when returning to the location will it be there) but fuel and keys seem to fluctuate. Sometimes still having the same amount of fuel sometimes none. This might be caused by the duplicates spawning with the engine still running and draining their fuel tanks before we get to them. Adn indeed attracting hordes of zombies in the process.

Loving the version thus far otherwise!

• switch lights are neg point who generate many problem of realism :
    • I can destruct wall without destruct switch light > switch light is floating and I can continue to use it.
    • If i destruct switch light when light is on, I can't switch off light anymore. (same if off, I can't on)
    • integrated rooms lights never break.
  • lifetime of lightbulb is ridiculous ! in 90's we were not yet in the planned obsolescence where artificialy brake bulb instead of leave them reduce efficiency. The "1000h duration" is not the lifetime, It was a intentionnal limiting time of life before 60's and it is just an advise on consumption efficiency (lumens/watts).
    IG almosts Bulb leave on, hold less (or about) 1 month. I really think that the light power should only decrease and no break at 1000h, but about 1500/2000h
    Do you plan to add stock options ? Then I will directly buy it for Muffler and lightbulb industry !
    This point was very reported many times (ago). So, is it a politic or a technical issue ?
  • Claustrophobic : Even If I destruct walls (straight line) of a bedroom and even 2 walls (of 4 sides), claustrophobic effect don't deseaper and I can't sleep. I found only one place in West Point where I can sleep inside, and was in the living room !
    With actual mechanic, Should be an ability to claustrophobic trait to "clic sleep" if panicLvl is =<1, then "claustrophobic penality is disabled" and player  go in a "waiting clam down state" and sleep when/if panic go away.
  • With hard of hearing trait : Police siren stop net at 10 tiles. (don't know without trait).
    • It isn't a range decrease of sound ? Explain why i don't hearing horns, generator if only a little bit.
    • So this trait is not a reduce range on the sound reduction itself, this +2pts trait is really disadvantageous if not hearing nothing at more than 10 tiles ! ( and funny to hear ambient shoot, shout and dogs ! )
    • But I clearly hear a zombie at ~8 tiles in a closed room as he was in the room
  • Whaouhouu ! With most of neg traits I survive to a  ~1 point healt and a "fatal injury"! I sweated, but I was standing in kitchen, farming respawn container of kitchen for cereal, peanut, etc... and cooking to wait i can eat something. So I leave hazard in 5h, during this time I may take 2/3kg...  Why display a so realistic proteins/glucid/lipids, etc... if next to that I can miraculously survive just by eat and taking 2 kg in 5 hours ?
    Was an awesome time ! but i would succeed this by other actions than eat !
  • I talk about an idea in suggestion thread who can prevent/balance all of this.