RELEASED: Vehicle Test 41

RobertJohnson

3 minutes ago, Batsphinx said:

Yeah it'll be the fires - I believe we have this fixed in the next build so don't nullpointerexcept yourself on our account :)

Do spiffo's, antibiotics, and boxes of jars even spawn into the game anymore? It's been so damn long since I seen one that It's starting to feel like they've been taken out the loot table altogether.

1 hour ago, TheZombiesPro115 said:

Do spiffo's, antibiotics, and boxes of jars even spawn into the game anymore? It's been so damn long since I seen one that It's starting to feel like they've been taken out the loot table altogether.

Antibiotics, for some reason, only spawn in the medical center at the mall, and even then it's only the front counters and nowhere else.

Cars still having issue with 70% max, I went to different city and there is no car more than 70% at Build 32 as well. Is this added for some purpose? Because bug appeared after few weeks in game, like they all are getting broken to 70%?

70.jpg

Bugs with the mechanics system in the current build.

1. Displayed values for break/success chance are lies.

-Broke two windshields - from 100% - in what must have been over three dozen attempts to remove and install the windshield. I used commands (since there is no feasible way to gain XP currently) to go to level three to try to further test the system and identify bugs.

Despite the apparent 50% chance of succeeding and 50% chance of breaking that the UI claimed, 3 dozen attempts to complete the task both failed and damaged the windshield.

-Note: Did not appear to have this issue with doors.

2. Values for success/break disappear once the recommended level is reached, but it still breaks.

-Could not install a 100% hood without breaking it a few times despite having the skill. This isn't working as intended, but this brings up the logic question as to how somebody qualified to install a hood could actually break it. Is the supposed to be the chance that my character drops it on the ground?

Note: Driver and passenger side windows appear to work as intended for this.

3. Currently no XP gain at all for the mechanic system. I've done every job with the exception of suspension multiple times to playtest this. Not once have I received XP, as my XP count is still at zero (taking into account that I have added levels via commands)

Edited by Kim Jong Un

1 hour ago, Tatty said:

Has anybody mentioned the fact that tree saplings can stop entire cars flat.

I can be going 60 - 80 mph and hit the smallest tree sapling - no taller than the character's knees - and the car will completely stop and that hood and windshield is all the way down to 0%.

Really frustrating!

It was worse in earlier versions, definitely an improvement if they have to be knee-high now. Before it was like woops i crashed into a pebble.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Cars still having issue with 70% max, I went to different city and there is no car more than 70% at Build 32 as well. Is this added for some purpose? Because bug appeared after few weeks in game, like they all are getting broken to 70%?

70.jpg

If you find a park ranger vehicle, a cop car, or a dasher elite in the really nice area near courtman medical, those cars are always almost 100% intact for almost every single part, with none of them being less than 60%. Also, based on the settings they chose for car spawns, I think this is intended.

Sometimes I receive this error in my server log and then the server starts to refuse to save data, and anything done after this point will be lost. It doesn't appear to be consistently caused by anything in particular, just happens after a while of playtime and having being around a lot of zeds.

Spoiler

Exception in thread "main" java.nio.BufferOverflowException
        at java.nio.HeapByteBuffer.put(HeapByteBuffer.java:189)
        at zombie.GameWindow$StringUTF.save(GameWindow.java:2192)
        at zombie.GameWindow.WriteStringUTF(GameWindow.java:2218)
        at zombie.GameWindow.WriteString(GameWindow.java:2127)
        at zombie.inventory.InventoryItem.save(InventoryItem.java:881)
        at zombie.inventory.InventoryItem.saveWithSize(InventoryItem.java:2129)
        at zombie.inventory.ItemContainer.save(ItemContainer.java:1418)
        at zombie.iso.IsoObject.save(IsoObject.java:782)
        at zombie.iso.objects.IsoThumpable.save(IsoThumpable.java:482)
        at zombie.iso.IsoObject.writeToRemoteBuffer(IsoObject.java:3021)
        at zombie.iso.ObjectsSyncRequests.serverSendRequests(ObjectsSyncRequests.java:427)
        at zombie.iso.ObjectsSyncRequests.serverSendRequests(ObjectsSyncRequests.java:382)
        at zombie.network.GameServer.main(GameServer.java:832)

edit: another bug, I turned my truck on, turned the heater on, then turned the truck on and it wouldn't let me turn the heater back on thinking the engine was off. Tested in MP.

Spoiler

HunZYF6.jpg

Edited by NorthRoad

Two server crashes (for the first time in the server's history), due to mass amounts of zombies being attracted to an accidental horn blast from typing in chat.

Driving the Primani, if it matters. Attempts to retrieve the car among it's newfound horde (because it's still running) have resulted in additional crashes.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

In the past two hours, driving through this area (same case as post above) has repeatedly crashed the server on multiplayer despite the zed being cleared. The server has been restarted 8 times with a consistent outcome.

These crashes have made 3 cars vanish entirely and have removed the keys from the rest.

I'd post the mp_console but the console log ends right after the server starts and I connect. I've managed to drive to other points on the map, but this point in particular consistently ends the server.

http://map.projectzomboid.com/?#0.7243654505008426,0.25910307187956083,164.84466236095113

Edited by Kim Jong Un

15 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

In the past two hours, driving through this area (same case as post above) has repeatedly crashed the server on multiplayer despite the zed being cleared. The server has been restarted 8 times with a consistent outcome.

These crashes have made 3 cars vanish entirely and have removed the keys from the rest.

I'd post the mp_console but the console log ends right after the server starts and I connect. I've managed to drive to other points on the map, but this point in particular consistently ends the server.

http://map.projectzomboid.com/?#0.7243654505008426,0.25910307187956083,164.84466236095113

Gooood. Reproducible things are my favorite. 

14 hours ago, Tails said:

some things that would be nice to see with vehicles are.

- Blood on vehicles when running over zombies or from the blood splatters after hitting a zombie.

-  front windshields when damaged  should affect the survivors vision depending on the vision.

Before I would even think about any of that I would rather have these gamebreaking bugs fixed. You know, disappearing loot, glitched textures, the broken mechanic trait and such.
Coming up with "yet another cool thing" to add to their to-do list isn't helpful and derails the purpose of this thread. 

2 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

Awesome, thanks so much for letting us know. I'll add the task in and get Steve to investigate it when he's with us next. Thinking is it could be garbage in the VOIP thread.

Interesting...I just disabled VOIP on build 38.30, and there was a significant performance increase, enough that my issue here completely went away https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?app=tcbugtracker&module=tracker&controller=issues&id=1264

500 shots fired into a massive horde without a single failure, when testing before in a similar situation only 1 in 5 would actually fire properly.

1 hour ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

Interesting...I just disabled VOIP on build 38.30, and there was a significant performance increase, enough that my issue here completely went away https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?app=tcbugtracker&module=tracker&controller=issues&id=1264

500 shots fired into a massive horde without a single failure, when testing before in a similar situation only 1 in 5 would actually fire properly.

Yeah Steve spotlit this in his optimization push, but it should've been addressed in vehicles builds. This could be a legacy of it, or perhaps it's come back somehow. Or maybe it's something different. We'll see :)

I probably spoke too soon, just tested on our dedicated server and seems the issue is still there (it went away with VOIP disabled in solo), but the performance difference is still quite noticeable without VOIP. At any rate not having steam I havent tested vehicles build yet so can't compare...so I'll stop hijacking the thread here :lol:

5 hours ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

I probably spoke too soon, just tested on our dedicated server and seems the issue is still there (it went away with VOIP disabled in solo), but the performance difference is still quite noticeable without VOIP. At any rate not having steam I havent tested vehicles build yet so can't compare...so I'll stop hijacking the thread here :lol:

We have noticed since forever ago that disabling VOIP gives a decent performance boost in both vehicles and the normal branch. For whatever reason, VOIP just seems to create some strange issues with freezing every few seconds. We still experience this even with VOIP off but it is to a far lesser extent. 

7 hours ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

It's guaranteed to be a problem in build 38.30, but one of the devs disabled VOIP in SP for the vehicles build. So that's where the confusion is coming from on our end. 

1 hour ago, FinestHops said:

We have noticed since forever ago that disabling VOIP gives a decent performance boost in both vehicles and the normal branch. For whatever reason, VOIP just seems to create some strange issues with freezing every few seconds. We still experience this even with VOIP off but it is to a far lesser extent. 

Would you both be willing to make this change, re-enable voip, and see if the lag comes back?

WYO7U2C.png

ProjectZomboid64.json is the settings file the game uses when launched from the exe (or Steam). This is specifically the 64-bit one, as this change isn't possible with 32-bit.

Would be really interested to hear from both of you if it changes anything.

@EnigmaGrey Unfortunatly, I'm not able to give accurate report, the 64 bit version has always been problematic for me (in 37.14 as well, possibly earlier too I dont remember) . Mainly after a few minutes of play it suddenly exits, no errors or exceptions in the console log. I tried re-enabling VOIP and starting without changes to the json file to get a benchmark, and it crashed shortly after I got on the map, as expected.

Editing the json to 2G, it starting crashing before even getting to the main menu.

I then started the 64 bit exe from a console so it wouldn't immediately close on exit, and managed to catch the java exception that wasn't being logged.

With the json changes:

Spoiler

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x00000000029a3a77, pid=2488, t
id=0x00000000000010f8
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_121-b13) (build 1.8.0_121-b1
3)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.121-b13 mixed mode windows-amd6
4 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# J 2406 C1 java.nio.DirectFloatBufferU.put(F)Ljava/nio/FloatBuffer; (17 bytes)
@ 0x00000000029a3a77 [0x00000000029a38c0+0x1b7]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client vers
ions of Windows
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# C:\Games\Project Zomboid\hs_err_pid2488.log
Compiled method (c1)   62514 2406       3       java.nio.DirectFloatBufferU::put
 (17 bytes)
 total in heap  [0x00000000029a3750,0x00000000029a3d98] = 1608
 relocation     [0x00000000029a3870,0x00000000029a38c0] = 80
 main code      [0x00000000029a38c0,0x00000000029a3ba0] = 736
 stub code      [0x00000000029a3ba0,0x00000000029a3c48] = 168
 oops           [0x00000000029a3c48,0x00000000029a3c50] = 8
 metadata       [0x00000000029a3c50,0x00000000029a3c70] = 32
 scopes data    [0x00000000029a3c70,0x00000000029a3d10] = 160
 scopes pcs     [0x00000000029a3d10,0x00000000029a3d90] = 128
 dependencies   [0x00000000029a3d90,0x00000000029a3d98] = 8
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

And the default json file:

Spoiler

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x00000000036e8bec, pid=4828, t
id=0x00000000000013e4
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_121-b13) (build 1.8.0_121-b1
3)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.121-b13 mixed mode windows-amd6
4 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# J 6119 C2 zombie.core.SpriteRenderer$RingBuffer.add(Lzombie/core/textures/Text
ureDraw;Lzombie/core/textures/TextureDraw;Lzombie/core/Styles/Style;F)V (981 byt
es) @ 0x00000000036e8bec [0x00000000036e8980+0x26c]
#
# 1516163137826 ERROR: missing tile vegetation_foliage_01_8Failed to write core
dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# C:\Games\Project Zomboid\hs_err_pid4828.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

I've saved the hs_err_pid*.log files mentioned in those in case they're wanted, but as there doesn't seem to be major reports of 64 bit issues I assumed it was just a issue I'm experiencing and not a wide-spread problem.

Unfortunately the few windows machines I run I tend to put the machines through hell..often replacing the explorer desktop/shell and other customizations. I rarely leave them stock, so when a problem like that only seems to be happening to me, I assume its something I've done in the past to the poor OS which is why I've never reported it ^_^