RELEASED: Vehicle Test 41

RobertJohnson

3 hours ago, Blake81 said:

So I just found a bug that I.... really shouldn't be reporting as it is soooo awesome but....

When you leave a car's trunk empty and go to sleep, the contents of the trunk will re-spawn, and while the contents are random, it ALWAYS happens. For most cars, it ain't really a problem as getting some plastic bags or an umbrella, but for unique ones like Ranger Pickups or Spiffo Vans, free ammo and food, ahoy!...

Please don't fix this ;-)

Well, thanks for reporting! :D I'm "not" gonna fix it then... :P

12 hours ago, TheZombiesPro115 said:

Does anybody know if there's a mechanic skill book? I know there's magizines but what about mechanics for beginners, is that a thing? I've been looking like crazy, so far no such luck.

I need to do them yup, maybe for next version (i'm doing lot of bug fixing atm, not sure it'll have lot of new things yet..)

8 hours ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

I've lost count of how many vehicles I've flipped on their side/top at this point.

Can we please have a way to remove wrecks (either ones we've created, or ones that the game has created.) Perhaps some combination of mechanic and metalworking lets you scrap a vehicle body?

Shin

A bulldozer should work well. Slow, loud, abysmal gas mileage, and of course the ability to push everything.

8 hours ago, Diabolus said:

Anyone having trouble getting birds with stick traps in the most recent version?

I left 2 traps baited for days and neither did I catch birds nor the worms got eaten like usually happened before.

Could this be to do with the current issue we have with compost too? Where rotten food removed after a period of time, after Tim's fix? (If I'm remembering right) @RobertJohnson

Build Vehicle 29:

[New]

• Added ChrisW optimization. Driving in town and being around tall buildings should now produce less dramatic FPS drops. [General streaming performance will still need addressing, and we hope to get a fix in for this later this week]
  • Add darkening to levels below player's z height to help sense of depth between levels.
  • Added a UI option for the air conditioner: heater switch now doubles as air conditioning too. With four different settings, from cold to hot.
  • Having all windows closed will heat up a bit the passengers, having windows opened will cool down passengers & nullify heater.
  • Sleeping in car now act like sleeping on anything else: you can't sleep in pain, in panic or too soon after sleeping already.

[Balance]

• Balanced car key spawn.
  • Changed vehicle part menu read-out from "Try start..." to "Ignition".
  • Balanced vehicle deceleration: not touching any controls will slowly stop the car, and act less like an active 'brake'.
  • Balanced how the heater changes a car's global temperature. [A hot engine will cool/heat up faster.]

[Bug Fix]

• Fixed how switching seats in a vehicle could shut off the engine if it wasn't running, attracting zombies.
  • Fixed keys spawning on the ground, in the ignition and on doors not having the car's name.
  • Fixed windshields not having an area set in script with no way to install/uninstall them.
  • Fixed Van having two driver seats.
  • Fixed some bugs in Mechanics tooltips.
  • Fixed putting something on a seat and then removing it making it impossible to uninstall the seat.
  • Fixed entering vehicle via radial menu not working.
  • Fixed some pathfinding error on certain vehicles.
  • Fixed vehicle containers trying to spawn items too often (when sleeping, when loading etc).
  • Optimized item sync optimized.
  • Fixed Mac/Linux Black Screens on collision.
  • Heater is now turned off if car is shut down.
  • Active heater will make the car consume more gas.
  • Fixed Step Van/Step Van Mail having wrong driver seat offset (meaning sometimes can't be entered).
  • Fixed opening car windows not updating car model.

4 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

Could this be to do with the current issue we have with compost too? Where rotten food removed after a period of time, after Tim's fix? (If I'm remembering right) @RobertJohnson

I've been getting the trapping problem, but not the composting one. I've been able to compost as normal, but catching birds with stick traps hasn't been working. I just figured they hadn't put all of the trapping locations in Riverside. xXx

6 hours ago, ilikecaterpillars said:

I've been getting the trapping problem, but not the composting one. I've been able to compost as normal, but catching birds with stick traps hasn't been working. I just figured they hadn't put all of the trapping locations in Riverside. xXx

The same problem, there are no catched birds or other animals during the whole week! And all the baits aren't eaten

14 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

And FPS in towns, and close to tall buildings - would be great to hear how it is with large constructions on user maps.

:P

On high resolution (1600:900) it's still freezing in a town, espesially when there are a lot of zeds nearby. FPS was at 5-6, the game almost stoped. However, on lover resolution the game ran faster (in Muldraugh in my case), FPS rase to 25-30

Edited by Anishka
some details

10 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

This build might fix the Mac/Linux black screens on collisions by the way. So if people could keep an eye out for that we'd be very grateful :)

7 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

I'd like some feedback on the deceleration if possible guys :)

HALLELUJA macs are back! Praise be to... Yuri I imagine?

Played 30 minutes, zero mac problems.

Not sure how things were before having been away from the vehicle build, but downtown and hordes show just the odd stutter here and there. Very very playable.

Regarding the deceleration, I feel you could extend the range of the vehicle by 4x what it is now when you pull off the gas. I think they should really cruise along for quite a fair bit if you're on open road.

I forgot about the noise of the cars... the change in audio is apparent with gear shifts, but the car audio in general is too high pitched for my liking. Can the same audio files just be dropped down like 66%? Just a thought.

In any case, love how it's all coming along!

15 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

This build might fix the Mac/Linux black screens on collisions by the way. So if people could keep an eye out for that we'd be very grateful :)

I performed a few test runs and the problem is solved for me.

It never happened again, while before it was very easy to replicate.

Good job! :)

16 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

Build Vehicle 29:

• Added ChrisW optimization. Driving in town and being around tall buildings should now produce less dramatic FPS drops. [General streaming performance will still need addressing, and we hope to get a fix in for this later this week]

• Fixed entering vehicle via radial menu not working.

• Fixed Mac/Linux Black Screens on collision.

I didn't check FPS specifically but the overall game feels smoother, and driving is more enjoyable, although I guess more optimizations won't hurt ;)

On the other hand, I'm not getting the radial menu. How are you supposed to make it appear?

Thanks!

Radial menu: press "v" while near or inside a car.

Re sound thoughts: the vehicles sounds are WIP, deffo not complete, Lemmy need to do some fmod job to include proper vehicle sounds :)

Thanks all for the feedback, also, anyone had the chance to test general mechanics? Or how it feel if you have 0 mechanic skill etc...

Merci beaucoup Monsieur :)

I'll try and test it these days.

I opened a few bug reports for small bugs and issues I couldn't find in the tracker.

Now that you mention it, car sounds are still missing/inaudible under linux... but every other sound is working correctly (beating zombies, carpentry, ambient, music, etc...)

54 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

Thanks all for the feedback, also, anyone had the chance to test general mechanics? Or how it feel if you have 0 mechanic skill etc...

It's pretty hard to test without skill books. At 0 skill you can only remove a few things like headlights and tires and they don't give many skill points. I've had tires disappear when trying to install them which is weird, it went through the motions and then disappeared completely. Other than that it's looking great.

13 hours ago, teyxeira1 said:

Hey, I was testing with a friend and he could not see the things I was throwing on the floor, is this a bug happening?

Yes, experiencing this as well, my friend also seems to get a lot of freezes still. Strange because his pc build is comparable to mine.

20 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

Build Vehicle 29:

[New]

Damn, performance has been a lot change!!

Good job.