RELEASED: Vehicle Test 41

RobertJohnson

Looking good so far!

A few issues, including feedback for the traffic jams:

1. The rear of open pickup trucks cannot be looted without the key

2. The 2nd modern sedan (cannot find a picture of it) does not appear in common spawns, only one of them does.

3. Out of the 30-40 or so vehicles in the traffic jam, only 5 were not wrecks, and were severely damaged. 

Only the front of the jam (where the accident likely occured) should be like this. Rows of cars backed up towards the rear wouldn't be involved as much and in good/better shape.

I don't believe this is intentional as the aftermath of a demolition derby isn't this violent.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

25 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

3. Out of the 30-40 or so vehicles in the traffic jam, only 5 were not wrecks, and were severely damaged. 

Only the front of the jam (where the accident likely occured) should be like this. Rows of cars backed up towards the rear wouldn't be involved as much and in good/better shape.

I don't believe this is intentional as the aftermath of a demolition derby isn't this violent.

Unless the military sent a helicopter to destroy the horde of zombies milling about the traffic jam.

Is it/will it be possible to dismantle the cars to remove them from the road? With a propane torch and welding mask?

Shin

3 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

1. The rear of open pickup trucks cannot be looted without the key

2. The 2nd modern sedan (cannot find a picture of it) does not appear in common spawns, only one of them does.

1. Yeah, I need to add an option for this one, will be easy done.

2. It's intended, i'm not sure I want the modern sedan spawn in common parking stall tbh, they spawn in more rich neighbourgh tho, there's plenty of those around the map... Idk tbh, i'll wait to see if more balancing is needed

3 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Ask @Batsphinx ;)

As an update on the reported lag, I went to test a bit more to see if any specific settings would improve the issue seeing as not everyone seems to get it?

- Build 24: Lag spikes every 1-3 seconds.
- Build 21: Lag spikes every 1-3 seconds.
- Build 38: Feels much smoother, no noticable lag.
- Lag is still there even when both zombies and vehicles are turned off, but not as intense.
- Lag is increased when entering towns, residential areas or parking lots. Not noticeable in the wilderness.
- It doesn't seem directly FPS related, as FPS pretty much remains at 60 during spikes.
- Turning OFF Multi-core in the display settings seems to stop the main stuttering, but the game still does this weird thing where it "slows down" everything each second or so. You kinda feel like you're going in slow motion over and over.
- When turning the frame limit down to 30 FPS on top of the multi-core thing, that seems to not be an issue anymore. Some screen tearing but this might be fixed with V-sync.

TL;DR: Turning off multi-core and setting max FPS to 30 helps a lot, not sure if it fixes it in situations where you are around tons of zombies or vehicles, but for "running around" it seems to fix the issue to some extent.

edit: Upon creating a multiplayer server, the slow-motion effect is still an issue, even with the 30 FPS max setting. You notice it especially when driving, the car slows down once every second. Also noticeable when going near parking lots.

Edited by iwawa

12 hours ago, iwawa said:

Snip

Very good to know, I get these weird stalls every few seconds too if I play vehicles with too many map add one (which saddens me). I'll try these settings out though even though I'm running a pretty beefy CPU, I'm not sure why it has trouble with this game :/ I can play 7d2d with little to no lag on high textures and medium everything else so I'm not sure as to why pz gives my computer trouble. My current play through on pz I disabled almost all maps mods except for two and am only using small mods like pump power, missing weapon models added, and a trait mod and hydrocraft as my only big mod . I even disabled the more building mod in case it was causing more lag. So this play through I haven't been getting too much lag, but I can't even think about going to the mall, I actually haven't been able to go there since build 33! It causes that weird stutter lag every 3 seconds and is unplayable! I hope the team will figure out what's causing these lags cause it can't be my system, my CPU has an i7 with 16 gig ram and a nivida card with 2 gig vram. Hope we can get this solved :)

22 hours ago, DramaSetter said:

Can't inflate tires.. 

I second this issue. I found a brand new tire in a shed, but it had zero air on it. So I put it on my car and used the Inflate option and it does not seem to do a thing. Do we need to find a pump or something for this to work? I've already looted two Car Mechanics and no pumps could be found.

18 hours ago, iwawa said:

TL;DR: Turning off multi-core and setting max FPS to 30 helps a lot, not sure if it fixes it in situations where you are around tons of zombies or vehicles, but for "running around" it seems to fix the issue to some extent.

My friend and I have been getting the lag as well, changing these definitely seems to have improved the performance for me. My friend has yet to test it, will probably report back with his results at some point.

12 hours ago, Blake81 said:

I second this issue. I found a brand new tire in a shed, but it had zero air on it. So I put it on my car and used the Inflate option and it does not seem to do a thing. Do we need to find a pump or something for this to work? I've already looted two Car Mechanics and no pumps could be found.

THIS!

Right now, this is the biggest issue with cars as a whole. There's no way to inflate tires. I've already asked on Discord and no one seems to know why.

Is there some item we are missing?

I just thought of a suggestion.

What about heaters! When the hot cold mechanics are fully implemented-- how cool would it be to find a car with A/C or heat? Might save your life. I'd say to the every day person the auto is the simplest and most convenient heater they have available.

4 hours ago, Blake81 said:

THIS!

Right now, this is the biggest issue with cars as a whole. There's no way to inflate tires. I've already asked on Discord and no one seems to know why.

Is there some item we are missing?

Nope, pump to inflate will come but it's not in yet.

It's a bug! Yaaay! Gonna fix it today, probably gonna release just a hotfix for this :)

Edit: Released 24.4 hotfix to fix this inflate/deflate bug :)

Thanks RJ!

Gotta say, this build has been the first one I've been able to ''play normally'' with the cars on (previous ones were too unstable and crash-prone for any long term investment), so I've been finally able to invest myself into this build.

30 minutes ago, Blake81 said:

So, if there any way to open a car's trunk if you lost the key? I lost my car's keys while fighting a horde with fire (my corpse got burnt) and while I could hotwire it, I still cannot open the trunk. Can we use a crowbar to open it or something?

Yea! That will be cool if we will can open trunk with crowbar or axe with some damage of body car. 

Or maybe destroy a window, sit in car and open trunk from inside. 

Oh, speaking of which, there are a few vehicles (the ones with trunk space connected to the seats - hatchbacks, station wagons, vans) that should have the trunk freely accessed from the inside/backseats.

A lever to open the trunks from the driver's seat of all vehicles would also be pretty accurate, but I'd be happy with the above as well.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

I don't know this happens to everyone or not but sometimes I can't get into a car i have the key for and that I have been in/ driven that has stuff stored inside which is frustrating. Especially in the previous build I ran to the car I knew I could drive but was unable to get inside meaning in the death of my character. At first i thought it was that my character was in panic so was fumbling with keys but it keeps happening on characters that can get in the car at one moment then 5 minutes later can't I am unsure what is causing this.

Honestly, I don't like cars disappearing out of your vision once you look the other way. This doesn't happen with other stuff in the game, like road signs, billboards, fridges, tables, chairs, plants, radios, .... It makes sense for zombies and other characters. Not saying cars should be visible at all times, but if I have seen an idle car in front of me, then do a 180° turn, I *know* it still has to be there.

While I'm at it, I feel the same about human-esque characters. I mean, if you are out with a friend, you kinda know where he is or might be around you, even if you don't look at the person all the time. Also you have other hints such as sounds to pin-point the location, which we are lacking in pz. Maybe set a timer before fadeout happens?

Jagged Alliance 2 was showing a visible ping on the screen once a character has heard something. Having such a feature in pz would be great too, imo. Yes I can hear something bumping on a door, but not always do I - as the player - know from where exactly this is coming from, while my character should totally know.

Edited by Lexx2k

51 minutes ago, Lexx2k said:

Honestly, I don't like cars disappearing out of your vision once you look the other way. This doesn't happen with other stuff in the game, like road signs, billboards, fridges, tables, chairs, plants, radios, .... It makes sense for zombies and other characters. Not saying cars should be visible at all times, but if I have seen an idle car in front of me, then do a 180° turn, I *know* it still has to be there.

While I'm at it, I feel the same about human-esque characters. I mean, if you are out with a friend, you kinda know where he is or might be around you, even if you don't look at the person all the time. Also you have other hints such as sounds to pin-point the location, which we are lacking in pz. Maybe set a timer before fadeout happens?

Jagged Alliance 2 was showing a visible ping on the screen once a character has heard something. Having such a feature in pz would be great too, imo. Yes I can hear something bumping on a door, but not always do I - as the player - know from where exactly this is coming from, while my character should totally know.

Incorporating hearing, as done with zombies behind the player, would make sense for nearby cars.

The time.it takes for them to fade when out of the fov would also help make it feel less weird.

4 hours ago, Mrxbath said:

Has there been any way to charge a car battery added?

I was a little disappointed to realize that I wouldn't be able to use any cars on my 12 months later build.... Every battery is at 0% by now.

The oldest and easiest way to start a car engine with an empty battery is to push the car and trying start the starter. It is possible to implement this function when 2 or more players participate in the game. It would be brilliant!