RELEASED: Vehicle Test 41

RobertJohnson

As another person mentioned about an invisible object, I too have found one. Unfortunately I have no screenshot but at coords 11856 x 9300 there is a tree on the road but you can't see it in game. While driving or standing outside the vehicle you cannot see it, I was still able to cut the tree down but even there after I would crash into the block.

On a different note, I was driving a car and took the keys out to kill some zeds and when I got back into the car my keys wouldn't work any longer although I still have the keys on me. It's like the key wouldn't register for the car anymore. I looked everywhere to see if maybe I had dropped it and picked up a different set but to no avail. The car was a hatchback type ( I forget the name exactly ).

5 hours ago, Minnigin said:

I was kinda wondering that actually, maybe they could change it from a no pass road line to a single white one?

I'm not sure but I think they're using the no-pass line because they already have it doing 90° as an existing art asset; I've never seen the single white line doing 90°. I do agree with you that it would look more appropriate as a white line, though. Or even a single yellow line. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be signifying; if it's 'fire parking' it should be red and if it's handicapped parking I think it should be blue. Large vehicle (like delivery tractor-trailers) parking would be yellow, I guess?

Edit: Speaking of 'appropriate', I think we need more road signs (especially with the sudden hard-right turns due to lack of actual curves). Signs like the cross or traffic light symbol for upcoming major intersection on highways and the curved arrow with the recommended speed for upcoming sudden turns.

Edited by Kedryn
Added minor suggestion to existing post

Was just playing SP and had to stop playing so I quit and closed the game, my car was basically surrounded with like 40 zombies. Upon reloading the save there was not a zombie in sight.

edit : disassembling a log wall returns 2 planks and a nail

Edited by Minnigin

I'm LOVING what's being done with vehicles so far! Being able to make big looting runs and travel more easily to other parts of the map is SO USEFUL.  I see a few texture overlap issues sometimes, such as driving on a railroad and having the road on top of the car (specifically, I've seen this on the railroad between West Point and Valley Station), but no game breaking bugs. My biggest issue is the vehicle capacity, though. I understand not wanting to get too crazy with it (and that this is a discussion that never seems to die (sorry)), but here's where the current capacities don't make sense to me:

A standard car seat holds 20 (kg? I've never seen a unit attached to the weight, but that seems to make sense in terms of character weights). An average person in PZ weighs about 80. How is a person able to sit in a car seat if it can't hold them? Obviously getting literal here would be a problem: your character weighs 81 and the seat holds 80 so you can't drive the car--that would be ridiculous.  But a capacity that's at least in the ballpark of the average human would make more sense. This also applies to trunk capacity. If four people can sit comfortably in the bed of a pickup, it should be able to hold more than 85-90. Also, the entire purpose of a pickup or other large vehicle is to be able to move very heavy loads. I'm not saying I should be able to move all of my possessions into a new safe house in one trip, but something around 320 would make more sense using the weight-of-a-person method of measurement.

Or maybe I just have too much stuff. That's also totally possible. :P Maybe if increasing capacity is a little too game-breaky, we could have detachable trailers? Maybe you have to have a certain Mechanics skill to use them and they slow you down some/affect your braking/etc. Or perhaps vehicle capacity could work the way your own inventory does: you can hold more than your capacity, but it starts to slow you down and wear you out. It could slow you down/affect your braking/damage your suspension and trunk over time. (I'm mostly just throwing thoughts into the wind here at this point.)

Edited by JellyCat

Probably not a bug but vehicles, even with fully-inflated tires, feel almost like they're dragging a brontosaurus behind them again. If I don't want to do a weird morse-code with the accelerator key to maintain speed I have to hold it down until I hit 90, release it and, when I hit 60 about 1 second later, start holding it again. A 30mph drop in 1 second without using brakes feels a little off (to me).

Also brakes don't seem to slow the vehicle any more quickly than simply releasing the accelerator.

Edit: I should have reported this earlier but I didn't want to sound like I was bitching. ;)

Edit2: Watching Cromulent Archer and he's noting that, at least on the police car, the RPMs go up really high before shifting gears. Video at appropriate time:

Spoiler

Edited by Kedryn
''RPMs' not 'rps'

8 hours ago, JellyCat said:

I'm LOVING what's being done with vehicles so far! Being able to make big looting runs and travel more easily to other parts of the map is SO USEFUL.  I see a few texture overlap issues sometimes, such as driving on a railroad and having the road on top of the car (specifically, I've seen this on the railroad between West Point and Valley Station), but no game breaking bugs. My biggest issue is the vehicle capacity, though. I understand not wanting to get too crazy with it (and that this is a discussion that never seems to die (sorry)), but here's where the current capacities don't make sense to me:

A standard car seat holds 20 (kg? I've never seen a unit attached to the weight, but that seems to make sense in terms of character weights). An average person in PZ weighs about 80. How is a person able to sit in a car seat if it can't hold them? Obviously getting literal here would be a problem: your character weighs 81 and the seat holds 80 so you can't drive the car--that would be ridiculous.  But a capacity that's at least in the ballpark of the average human would make more sense. This also applies to trunk capacity. If four people can sit comfortably in the bed of a pickup, it should be able to hold more than 85-90. Also, the entire purpose of a pickup or other large vehicle is to be able to move very heavy loads. I'm not saying I should be able to move all of my possessions into a new safe house in one trip, but something around 320 would make more sense using the weight-of-a-person method of measurement.

Or maybe I just have too much stuff. That's also totally possible. :P Maybe if increasing capacity is a little too game-breaky, we could have detachable trailers? Maybe you have to have a certain Mechanics skill to use them and they slow you down some/affect your braking/etc. Or perhaps vehicle capacity could work the way your own inventory does: you can hold more than your capacity, but it starts to slow you down and wear you out. It could slow you down/affect your braking/damage your suspension and trunk over time. (I'm mostly just throwing thoughts into the wind here at this point.)

Mh, reading your comment brought me to the question, how volume/sizes are managed...

...what I mean is, you could load a car completely with feathers, which would not exceed the weight limit of a car. But you would unable to add any more weight, because you already reached the volume-limit.

In that sense, every storage container should have two values, weight and volume, and every item should have weight and size.

It means, you can add weight until you reach the volume-limit of a container. But if you already passed the weight limit, you risk to damage the container...

...this could actually create some very awkward moments. A duffelback bursts and all items are suddenly scattered on the floor, only because the survivor was a little too greedy ;-)

@laramsche I think idea is about the carrier capacity, not the container itself.
You can carry corpse on your back, but without weapons and slowly. With car you might same.

Spoiler

voiture_surchargee.jpg

Ohhh.. remind me ...

• Can't put "single carryable object" in car, talk primarly about generator ! but corpse too...
  • very important for me : when you plug generator, you can watch around ( with [CTRL] ) and at key release player comeback to watch is task (i feel guy who watch around during is job, just by moving head  ?animation add? ) , should be same script for all progress task !: wooden build,  read, transfer, etc...
  • talk about read : I don't think [ESC] key is a good interupt for task. when i launch long task as read, i use this moment to modif config, watch players connected, clan parameters, etc... now I can't... Problem I talk about in preview release was resolved by moving car who interupt saw logs (but not the addition of logs when sawing in car)
  • about key : there is no duplication possible with 'in car key" and "out car key", it is two independant environment, so they can't interfere. when I assigne car shortcut shouldn't prevent me for duplicate. ( ex : "horn" on "use", etc.. don't want an other falcon4  keyboard !!!!! )

I talk too much, I think I have to wait to talk more about this kind of bugs....

Edited by arkahys

On 3/5/2018 at 7:31 PM, Kedryn said:

I'm not sure but I think they're using the no-pass line because they already have it doing 90° as an existing art asset; I've never seen the single white line doing 90°. I do agree with you that it would look more appropriate as a white line, though. Or even a single yellow line. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be signifying; if it's 'fire parking' it should be red and if it's handicapped parking I think it should be blue. Large vehicle (like delivery tractor-trailers) parking would be yellow, I guess?

Edit: Speaking of 'appropriate', I think we need more road signs (especially with the sudden hard-right turns due to lack of actual curves). Signs like the cross or traffic light symbol for upcoming major intersection on highways and the curved arrow with the recommended speed for upcoming sudden turns.

Yea I died once already and almost died again last night. Arrow symbols on the road itself would be even better.  

15 hours ago, Skooma Skeeve said:

I'm still experiencing vanishing vehicle keys this build.

Hey there!

Could you give some more details on this, please? Things like is it in SP or MP; any mods; what do you do just before this happens... I believe the team has fixed "the last possible instance" for the next build, but double checking doesn't hurt :)

9 hours ago, Pandorea said:

Hey there!

Could you give some more details on this, please? Things like is it in SP or MP; any mods; what do you do just before this happens... I believe the team has fixed "the last possible instance" for the next build, but double checking doesn't hurt :)

Yeah, I play on the SpiffoSpace server and the keys tend to disappear upon removing them from a vehicle's ignition (key never appears up in my inventory). Glad to hear there's a fix in the works!

21 hours ago, Skooma Skeeve said:

Yeah, I play on the SpiffoSpace server and the keys tend to disappear upon removing them from a vehicle's ignition (key never appears up in my inventory). Glad to hear there's a fix in the works!

If you can make it happen on the regular, mind taking a video?

ShadowPlay tends to work very well if you've a nVidia GPU. Just press Alt + Z. 

Vehicles Build 38 - This is unlikely to be a complete list, people not around right now, so we'll look into anything missing off it soon. As you can see from the blog https://projectzomboid.com/blog/2018/03/performance-enhancements/ a lot of nice stuff has been going into next week's performance update that never quite made it out this week.

Garbage collector fixes
Fixed engine idling at 2000 RPM while pressing the brakes. 
Nerfed the damage done to muffler during a front crash.
Fixed tire-removed state sync in multiplayer.
Fixed vehicle cheat-repair not putting tires back on correctly.
Fixed vehicle engine rpm not returning to idle when player jumps out.
Fixed picking up multi-sprite containers with items in them failing when tooltip says its ok. 
Fixed Use key not working for carpentry windows. 
Randomize the damage done to parts during a crash (not every parts will have the same damage).
Reverted the damaging muffler while driving balance & lowered the chance of damaging it.
Increased the odds of damaging the muffler while driving.
Fixed not having exp when doing metal barricade in MP.
Translated mechanics UI + general polish
Fixed: Improve car rendering to reduce cases of clipping with walls or other cars
Fixed vehicle door lock-broken state not being preserved when installing/uninstalling.
Fixed keys not working on exterior doors with roofs over them.
Remove trees not on blends_natural floor tiles otherwise they'll be invisible. 
Fixed certain vehicles changing textures in multiplayer. 
Fixed stamina not recharging and boredom not increasing while in a vehicle. 
Allow headlights to work when only one is installed.
Possibly fix disappearing vehicle keys.
Fixed 2D/3D sound switching for vehicle sounds.
Fixed: Cars do not get hit when they collide with a zombie in the MP
Play vehicle sounds in 2D when inside to avoid hearing sound in one ear. 
Fixed stairs not blocking vehicles.
Fixed ZombieLore and ZombieConfig sandbox settings resetting.
Fixed: Wrecked cars sometimes bounce up and down on streaming in
Fixed heater/ac vehicle ui not switching vehicles correctly. …
Load all vehicle textures during game loading to avoid hitching during play.
Server caches map_x_y.bin checksums to avoid reading/writing files. 
Allow passengers to read books in vehicles.
Fixed thread contention between WorldStreamer and main thread. 

17 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

@lemmy101 I can't test on MP because I can't launch the server.

Console says 'pause', press enter to continue and doing so closes it.

Just ran it here thru steam okay - what platform? Can you paste in your entire console output?

26 minutes ago, lemmy101 said:

Just ran it here thru steam okay - what platform? Can you paste in your entire console output?

I run the server from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid

ProjectZomboidServer 

It is not Steam MP (currently using Evolve multiplayer).

server-console.txt

Edited by Kim Jong Un

I noticed that when you start the Server Using StartServer64.bat, Steam think it's not running therefore updates it while the server is running and several files are not updated due to being in use. SO I always have to do a Verify after I shutdown the server.