RELEASED: Vehicle Test 41

RobertJohnson

On 26/02/2018 at 4:05 PM, The White Wolf said:

Edit : I still have the "roof problem" at Muldraugh (I don't know if it's related to the vehicle test) I'm outside on the second level but as you can see it's like there were a roof over my head.

Eh, this has been an issue since the entire "Hide only the building you're close to" was implemented, it's an issue with just about every single piece of Roofing that exists outside a building, the "Room Definition" is applied to 70% of all of them on level 1 instead of ground level.

Not sure if it's required for the system to work but it kinda looks bugged when various roofs are utterly black from a distance because the way the game applies visibility makes "rooms" pitch black unless you're in them or really close to them, really it might be a workaround because it would look twice as bad if there were random black areas on ground level just because there is a roomdef there. (You can see what I mean if you take a sledgehammer and remove all walls of some preset building)

I'd argue it would be better to just add some code that would make the visibility system treat certain roomdefs like they are part of "outside" (lack of defined roomdef) instead of blacking them out while keeping the rest of their functionality intact. Hell add that and apply it to all "rooms" that aren't surrounded by walls from all sides.

Honestly that thing has been bugging me since it was implemented.

4 hours ago, B33ware said:

Just check it up right now, runs worse than before (lower fps, compared to build 36) but less laggy and more stable in terms of FPS (even with the zombie hordes it rarely begin to freeze).

Ya it runs a lot more laggy now but has less hiccups, don't know which of either evils I'd choose tbh

Vehicle Feedback:

• Add a way to control top speed.
    - Manual gear shifts for keyboard users, pad users can use triggers. At the very least, make it so letting W go keeps the vehicle at it's current speed until brakes are used.
  • Make brakes work
    - Because it feels like they don't exist, the way they work I will never have headlights attached to any vehicle for long. (Unless I can control top speed Instead of only being able to accelerate, it always pissed me off in video games that most of them have no way to control top speed and you can only accelerate by holding down W, letting it go making it slow down so to go kinda fast but not too fast you have to tap W... it's the current year, why hasn't the technology to do something as basic as go the speed you want to go been cracked)
  • Sound issues
    - Insanely annoying to get vehicle sound only on one channel because it's 0,0000005% off center of the screen (I can imagine this works fine for Surround sound users, be it Surround speakers or ones with really good headphones but it's beyond annoying when all sounds that aren't centered only go through on one channel, give people like me an option to mono the whole thing at the very least, no sound ever reaches only one ear unless someone is half deaf)
    - Like the new sounds btw. Not perfect but they work better than the old ones.
  • Mechanic System
    - Love it so far
    - I can imagine it would be difficult but it would be fun if hoods and doors kept the colour of the vehicle they were taken off of after being attached to a new one.
Edited by Svarog

Any chance we can get 45 minute days option, i feel like 30 mins means i have to rush during daylight, but an hour a day is a bit slow paced. I was wondering if we could get something in between?

Another suggestion i have is could we make it so in multiplayer everyone can sleep regardless of their tired moodle. It gets tedious if your squad all has different tirednesses, or one accidentally moves during the night.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Minnigin said:

in Rosewood there are mailboxes on the streets all over the place

edit : like literally on the pavement, I'll get some pics and cords at some point later when I have time

Rosewood, or the newer Riverside town? Riverside this the town that got the most map changes in this build. 

46 minutes ago, Batsphinx said:

Rosewood, or the newer Riverside town? Riverside this the town that got the most map changes in this build. 

I'm sorry, was goin off no sleep when I wrote that, you are correct its Riverside

17 hours ago, laramsche said:

Cevalier Step Van: Trunk capacity 90, one additional big seat +30 capacity. Total capacity 120

Franklin Valuline: Trunk capacity 85, five additional big seats +150 capacity. Total capacity 235

Ambulance (just found on build 38): Trunk capacity 90, with additional five big seats it comes to a total capacity of 240...

...also, where do they put the injured? Can only be crammed into the trunk :-D

Well, I guess you know what I am going with this. I would suggest to decrease the trunk capacity of the Franklin Valuline and changing the ambulance to a two seat vehicle, maybe with increased trunk.

The Cevalier Step Van could use more trunk capacity, I would say around 150 or even 200. It would also make sense when they spawn less, and mostly with parts in very bad condition and missing parts. At the outbreak, many people probably tried to get away with as much of their stuff as possible, so it would be realistic not to see a lot of the bigger vans.

But right now, the Franklin Valuline and the Ambulance are the MVP's for looting :-) (at least as far as I found).

Now that I slept over it for a night, I think I got a better Idea for vehicle capacities:

Vehicle trunks and seat should be able to be overloaded.

Lumber-Car-A.jpg.1fba3e8c627df3d24851c0b0c09f1c6a.jpg

The player character already has such a feature. Characters have a standard carry capacity of around 12 to 14, but have actually a capacity of 50 (if I am not mistaken). Everything above the standard capacity slows down the character. You know, "You're carrying too much!"

For a vehicle it could say "Trunk capacity 50", as recommended load limit, but with the possibility to actually load up to 100 which then would overload the vehicle. That means reduced acceleration, damage to trunk/seats (depending which is overloaded), suspensions and tires.

Would also be hilarious if the vehicle would have an appropiate animation, like in the picture, so that the front goes up while the rear goes down. And with a nice scratching sound if the rear is touching the ground, to make it more then obvious to the player that he is torturing his car :-D

I saw the station wagon in the update post, unfortunately new spawns of the car are still showing the same trunk capacity as the regular sedan version for me.

Can confirm that a lot of desync issues have been fixed.

Looking forward to trying the build with the boys tonight.

26 minutes ago, Minnigin said:

still getting texture overlaps, only affects immersion a little imo but still there it is. Vehicles still do this to players and walls as well

Don't worry, I've confirmed with Batsphinx that this is indeed on the list, there is just other tasks they are trying to get through :)

3 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Don't worry, I've confirmed with Batsphinx that this is indeed on the list, there is just other tasks they are trying to get through :)

oh kk cool, was about to post another one with parked vehicles overlapping other parked vehicles, thanks :D

First off, let me say i'm so excited about this game... Its just the best... I've been waiting for a game like this FOREVER!!! The realistic detail has no rival imo... Hat's off to the developers for all the technically accurate aspects. I can't say enough about that, but ill try to stop to add to the thread...

I agree with Laramsche about the vehicle cargo capacity. I doesn't make sense that the 4dr SUV has way more total capacity than the truck or big box truck. I know you guys will fix that, because it's what you do so well. I drive a Toyota FJ irl, and the cargo room sucks!!! For the role play aspect, I'm gonna use the SUV in the game, and it would be great if we had to deal with the challenges of its limitations in comparison to other vehicles better suited for cargo....  I hope that makes sense.

I don't wanna get all crazy, because this game has so exceeded all my expectations... but I'd imagine ROOF RACKS would score huge points with the 4x4 crowd...  OMG... gas cans on the roof rack would be so awesome...  I guess that's my suggestion.

Thanks again, and keep up the Truly Outstanding work...

So, since new locations can be found on the map, I decided to do a little road trip. 4h long days set in sanbox, Soloplay, fuel consumption on standard.

RoadtourMap.thumb.png.3f98d5e254bb2c507df2a1e6f5a6d8bc.png

1. Found me a nice Franlin Valuline in a very good condition, all parts above 90%, many even at 100%. Got some supplies, inflated tires to max (40), filled the tank to max (65) and hit the road.

2. Run over a mailbox, front left door went to 44%

3. Stopped at a gas station at evening, tire pressure barely dropped below 35. Then I waited till midnight. Weirdly character never got bored, sad or depressed while just sitting in car.

4. Zeds had decided to parade the streets, a couple of them walked in front of my car... no car damage at all.

5. Drove along a country road and suddenly crashed into an invisible object, maybe an invisible car-wreck??? I could walk normally over/through the obstacle, seemed like an one tile room with invisible walls, but blocked sight when standing in it... Will check later if it still is there. Hood and front doors got damaged, all other parts got minor damage, if they even got any damage at all, it was difficult to see any difference.

6. Muffler dropped off, it was at 4%, I was unable to reinstall it so I continued without it. (I just don't know what negative effect it had...)

7. Checked tires, again barely below 35, inflated them back to max.

8. Decided to visit the golfclub, have never been there. Noticed I can drive/walk straight through the barriers at the check-point there. See pic below.

5a99fa171206a_Golfclubbarrier.png.edb1d8821661b848fe574d856f5ee2a1.png

9. End of the Road... checked the cars condition one last time:

52 of 65 gasoline left, thats exactly 10% consumption. With four hour days in sandbox, I could drive around 10 more days before I have to refuel, would be really neat for real life, yes?

(I remember driving from germany to Paris in 2 or 3 days, around 600km [372miles] and we had to refuel 2 or 3 times, maybe more, I was a kid back then...)

Am I right, when I assume that the vehicle parts attrition is increased for testing purposes? My little Roadtrip showed me, that appropiate parts (like breaks and suspensions) drop quicker then other, which is reasonable, but its simply too fast. Only exception is the muffler. He surely doesn't like to be a muffler... I guess :-D

I am not a mechanic, and never owned a car myself, but observing others showes me, that cars need repairs every 2/3/4 years. In a zombie apocalypse, I would say repairs once a year (if the car is driven carefully and was kept in a good condition) should be reasonable for a game. Vehicle parts condition should mainly decrease through crashing and damage from running over zeds.

And I guess that most gamers like to drive more "aggressive" and don't care when they take down lamp-posts, mailboxes and pedestrians.

I noticed that the bored, sad and/or depressed moodlets never popped up while driving or even while just sitting in the car. At marker 3 (on the first pic above) I just sat for at least 3 ingame hours in the car, doing nothing and waiting for midnight. Never got bored, sad or depressed.

Will test this by purely living in a car, only leaving it for repairs and looting... :-)

Also, at one point I also ran around a little to explore on foot and got the moderate exertion moodlet. After I went back into the car, it stayed for the next 2 or 3 ingame hours of driving. I suspect it won't go away when sitting in a car, will test this further on the weekend.

The Franklin Valuline's top speed is around 35mph, with seems way too slow. I sat in similar small vans, that where capable of reaching 75mph... or is there some sort of speed limiter that I didn't noticed???

Concerning the performance issues, I mostly had the worst stutters when starting a new game or after loading an existing save. Inside towns it starts to stutter too, not as crazy like on a new game or after loading, but it makes it difficult to drive sometimes.

Lastly, shouldn't most vehicles have cigarette lighters??? Back in the 90's, every car had one... at least here in germany.

Well, my roadtrip ended with a few bottles of bleach...

This is how I died!

I noticed the emergency vehicles light bar not flashing when I turn it on just only the sound. 

The six seater Franklin Valuine van seems to lost its side windows middle and and rear sided windows.

Something is very wrong with the Park Ranger and Fossoil trucks. No, this isn't another post about the texture for Fossoil trucks being weird. This is new.

Clearly the textures for them are interchangeable and the game in multiplayer has an extremely hard time deciding whether you are looking at a Park Ranger pickup truck or a Fossoil work truck (which has lights and a siren for some reason).

In multiplayer, the second driver in our convoy started in a Ranger pickup truck.

He fell behind, but when he caught up the truck magically transformed into a Fossoil truck. On the driver's screen he was still a Ranger.

Then, every time we would lose each other and catch up, the texture would go back and forth between park ranger and fossoil.

Clearly something is wrong, maybe they share the same file or something. I'm willing to bet the loot lists for the two vehicles for very different professions are the same.

Texture reference:

Spoiler

These are the two textures the game switches between. Clearly the textures are interchangeable in the files, rendering them in new for other players (and new instances of players seeing the car) triggers a switch.

91806827002A62434DA7207558F0D675F7AD62B7

1191EB8C3CEEEBA2899F5885AC93794CAF610736

"Where did that fossoil truck come from?"

"What fossoil truck? Is there an abandoned car I missed?"

Additional desync issues, pretty hefty:

For a player with lightly choppier internet connection, these roadtrips as a passenger are an absolute gamble.

The 2nd driver of the convoy, when coming up to areas we were, would come across this player just standing in the road.

In that player's screen they are in the ambulance, which has stopped for them.

I, the driver of the ambulance, have already reached the destination.

Edited by Kim Jong Un