RELEASED: Vehicle Test 41

RobertJohnson

since hotwiring is in the game the version where you connect wires together.  

There should be another alternative to starting a car without a key.

Starting a car with a screw driver putting the screwdriver into the cars ignition since the screw driver in game is a flat head and  it's effective on any car built before the mid 90's.

Is it just me that gets it the way where the engine sound is exclusively either on the left or right headphone (Depending on whether the car is more to the left/right of centre of the screen)? It's extremely annoying when the sound only comes through on one channel, to a point where I can't use vehicles when wearing headphones and I get it no matter which of the three headphone sets I have I use.

1 minute ago, Svarog said:

Is it just me that gets it the way where the engine sound is exclusively either on the left or right headphone (Depending on whether the car is more to the left/right of centre of the screen)? It's extremely annoying when the sound only comes through on one channel, to a point where I can't use vehicles when wearing headphones and I get it no matter which of the three headphone sets I have I use.

I reported this same problem before and am getting it too. It's very noticeable in the Van Sounds video posted in the latest Thursdoid.

Spoiler

• if i knockback a zombies next to a car : he fall under car and don't get up.
  • Dash ranger : it is the only car I found who have the "normal" seat capacity (and as other car, can't change it by change seat). It is too the only car I found that if you release forward [w] the car stop as braking.
  • The windshield damage seems very high when hurt an object, I think to many car who have a big crash and only the hood is totaly destructed! think windshield should be damaged by hurting Zombies (and no hood), less than stationnary object.

I succeed to reproduce the magic logs car !

• If I full seats of car with log and saw logs from car, then go further and comeback (or deco/reco) logs reappear in car. If before they reappear I full again with log and saw this, then at reappear logs are added, so i get a franklin valuline, with 12 logs x 5 seats. (I stop the add at this point) who auto reload with deco/reco or go away and come back.
  • There is no way to stop queue action in car (horn, hotwire, etc...) with problem above, when launching saw, if a Z's arrived, have to move the car, until the saw finish, because can't stop action. same problem if i launch many horn/hotwire action at a time. [E] (exit car) should stop any action/queue started.
  • When in car and/or driving i can saw/eat etc.... I think should have some action who can be driving, other stopped, and other no.
  • If I saw logs in car, when inventory is full logs are looted on ground.

All mixed up :
leave on the ground planks could be interresting in MP, somebody who prepare a wall saw logs, and loot stack on the ground here and there but not while driving. eat while driving seems feasible. read no, but passenger yes.

fluidity changes :
game is more fluid with mass zombies, can attack bigger horde (but not biggest).
But worth with "end of the world" slowing and players presence.

6 hours ago, Svarog said:

Not just you. I think it's because sound direction in the game is based off of center of screen as opposed to the character's point of view; which can be confusing, especially when you get really 'into the game'.

With IWSMB and vehicles test branch, don't know where post this bus or an other. hope they will be read by concerned dev.

• can hotwire at 2mecha and 1 elec, is it normal ?
  • when there is a zombie around, I hear always many zombie, idle state and attack state : when a zombie attack me i hear many zombies attacking me.
  • I hear sometimes car doors slam while I'm alone on server. when hear one time, there is many door slam after.
  • When refuel generator, if I stop refuel by go away, no fuel is transfered (seems a all or nothing action)
  • sometimes i don't hear generator or car engine (out of car).
  • doors, seat, tanks,batteries, brakes, suspensions respawn but no muffler, engine parts, and the most destructed : windows winshield and hoods !
  • painting a wall don't remove blood sprite.
  • decreased weight is not apply sometimes in container (weight of full, but not full), have to transfert it in inventory to refresh weight.
  • Paint bucket weight don't decrease when partially emptied as others
  • painting seems very restrictive in addition to an only nice-looking effect ! amount of painting with a bucket : painting yield is 10/15 m² by liter, if I concider 2 layers : with a 5L you should paint at least 10 wall. A draw seems ~1/4 of wall painting use.
  • wood is not really a good support for plaster, so can we plaster metal wall too ? ( health point become a surprise for attackant)
  • plastering have no real references :  5kg bag are mostly for interior use and small jobs, 25kg are the more common for walls and exterieur : the yield is ~8kg/m² , 3yield, so a bag by m².
    May set weight to 25, spawn more plaster to adjust one bag by wall, and give an other interest than nice-looking effect :
    plaster could give shield points to wall, who crumble/disappear when attacked : can't give a visual info on shield statut (no need to give a number of health point) if ability to plaster metal wall : hide to attackant what is made wall until attacking enough.
  • no visual effect of the destruction state of a wall, can't repair wall (just give the posibility to "upgrade to lvlx" if not maxHealthpoint and not plastered )
  • the radial menu is very big ! an option to reduce size of round and icons as text in windows.

always don't see any pump.
a post remind that : for 7years player can read, make wall, cook,etc... in totally dark !
As player say "i don't understand" etc.. when reading a too difficult level book, he should say "I don't see anything !" when perform a cook, build, read, farm, forage, in totally dark. Add a real good challenges. ( so, I imagine already to put my car face to a wall with light on to manage to end my wall after sunset ! )

Edited by arkahys

• fill in action can't be queued

One of benefit of radial menu is to remember position of entries (orientation) to quick select. I don't think it is a good things to hide unfeasible action because button aren't at same place. Each time i open the menu, I reflect to what is where, loosing initial advantage.
Think unfeasable action should be only shadowed or grey box then buttons would be all the time at the same place.

I think t's to complicated to switch seat, often is in emergency action, it would be nice if there was close to ignition directly seats drawed or an icon representing a seat to open a little window on it.

Edited by arkahys

On 2/15/2018 at 6:28 PM, EasyPickins said:

Anything under max pressure (40 in this case) will add some slow-down.  So get as close to 40 as you can (press spacebar to stop inflating whenever you choose).

Pressure below Max + 5 = 45 looks like it won't have any ill-effects.  Looking at the tire-inflation action, as soon as you hit 45 the tire is destroyed.

Extreme problems with this, both ingame effect wise and out of game realism wise. Experienced driver and shop experience here.

Long story short: This would have no significant effect at all until the tire is actually significantly lower than optimal - I'm talking 20/60 PSI for a compact tire and even then the slowdown IRL would not be this dramatic or excessive.

So, having 5 PSI short of the tire capacity is considered pretty normal for tires and most definitely not a big deal. No notable performance difference for daily driving. Having shop experience, that's generally what to aim for. You don't usually go for the capacity as going over capacity can pop the tire - the air cap is the cap.

So when coasting is not a thing at all anymore because of this slowdown for being a few PSI short on each tire, something is very illogical with this and excessive. 

Tested on multiple vehicles with 90-100% tires.

Coasting just isn't a thing anymore - At most, I'm 5 PSI short of a perfect 100% tire capacity and within what would be the average, maintained PSI. Usually within 2 of the capacity. And letting off the gas is the same thing as slamming the brakes. It feels stronger than that in some cases. These are optimal tire conditions realistically and there is no longer any ability to coast. Letting off the gas just stops you dead in your tracks. It feels like all of the optimization for coasting has been reverted.

Realistically:

You'll want to consider this only having any slowdown effect when air pressure is notably low. What it is right now is definitely excessive - in some cases this has surpassed the previously tested braking distance of vehicles for only being 4 PSI short.

IRL being lower than air capacity (but not too low to the point of a tire being low) will not make a difference. This should be a negative effect of the extreme (where the tire is actually low, i.e. 10-20 PSI and lower), but currently drags you down far too excessively, beyond any degree of realistic slowdown and in cases where there should be no effect at all.

For comparison, micromanaging your tire PSI is something race engineers do for the track in some specific cases, and that's really only the significant example of where this is done, because the effect of this is so nominal until the tire actually becomes low/flat.

TL;DR

Too excessive and that implementation is not realistic. In my opinion it's a little too gamey for something that should only be a punishment for having a significantly low tire. 

If this is supposed to be realism feature, then have it only give any effect at all for the tire being low. Otherwise this is something almost entirely semantic that has drastic effects where none should be. There should be a range where there is no slowdown, and then a slowdown where it's gone unmaintained (i.e. not flat but halfway to the ideal range) and then just further slowdown until the tire will burst.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

On 18/02/2018 at 10:43 PM, NorthRoad said:

I reported this same problem before and am getting it too. It's very noticeable in the Van Sounds video posted in the latest Thursdoid.

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah this is something Steve will be fixing on Friday hopefully - once we get some new sounds in from friends who have developed a procedural engine noise creation program.

1 hour ago, artenais said:

I know this question may sound stupid and maybe even rude, but how far are from IWBMS? Just curiosity.

Not too far I don't think - main thing to do is to straighten out some MP issues that it'd be nice to have fixed up before we drop a bunch more curious testers in via the move to IWBUMS.

We've got a new internal build going into testing atm with the new map and some MP fixes, and the map was something else we were waiting for. There's still balance and bugfixes, and those new sounds i mentioned, but we're not adding anything else that's 'big' feature-wise.

In other news so people reporting bugs know when we've seen, and are checking out, a user-reported bug then the code will be that @Pandorea (Sasha) gives you a slice of cake. That way we don't clutter this thread, and you guys get feedback / virtual cake.

9 minutes ago, Batsphinx said:

Not too far I don't think - main thing to do is to straighten out some MP issues that it'd be nice to have fixed up before we drop a bunch more curious testers in via the move to IWBUMS.

As far as I see, the main thing is the zombies optimization, everything else work really fine for me even in MP.

The reading speed seems to be dramatically increased. I have slow reader and I average 1 page a second, on settings where reading speed is increased. However those settings haven't changed and everyone on the server is noting that they are finishing books in minutes.

Desync:

We're having a few major issues with passengers in cars randomly stopping in their instance of the game while the driver (and in some cases, another passenger) continue down the road. We've had cars of three arrive at the destination, but a passenger will show that he is still inside the car, stopped in the middle of the road at a place we passed minutes ago.

Mechanic bug:

Rear windows on the Dart still cannot be removed (saw something about it in the patch notes and not sure if a fix was intended). If you click the option, nothing happens, the menu just goes away.

A9ADA47AFC2F7958CE1CA6BA8D41B571443D48C3

Edited by Kim Jong Un

4 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

I understand that you are able to remove the seats from cars for extra storage space?

I think it's worth a mention that removing seats gets rid of the container entirely, but the mechanics menu does display a container capacity.

I think you talk about idea I post 1 or 2 page ago , when i talk about of bug that capacity seat don't change when changing seat : always "big seat capacity" while "normal seat" are installed in all car, I found one expeption (may others): Dash Ranger where capacity of normal seat is effective.
wathever seat I install the capacity of the seat is always big for all car and normal for Dash Ranger. ( 10 sport, 20 mornal, 30 big )

• the tiny weight difference don't give any interest to install sports seat !
    - 0,9% of car weight and 300% of capacity by switch a seat from big to sport where is balance ?
  • Same as above for tank : even if I put only a gazcan in tank, I install big tank, because no real weight difference and "we never know !"
  • The weight of fuel is not considered in weight of car. (so could be a double effect with last point)
  • take a windows (don't know the english term for button below recips, if someone could say me) with caprentry 10 have 50% chance of broken ??
  • No way to repair a window even with carpentry an others to 10. So with dot above, on MP will do a big pillage when players will want a pretty house (In my case it's for winter, but don't know if change temperature, woodenwork 10, have to remove all windows of 3 floored houses for 5 windows)
  • If I transform car in wreck ( unistall egine and everything) and do a wall with many cars (with no acces to hood  by placing the future wreck ahead hood),  I leave a space for a car, i enter with blocking the last hood with back of my car, so my front left door is in the safe place and i block the single run. there is no way for anybody to enter. (can do that without wreck , but with tires, cars can be moved easyly by hurt them with strong car). 
    • Add cross hood (and trunk when not a pickup orbreak) as a fence
    • towtruck, tow a car with rope (repeat myself)
    • if Zombies could cross hood/trunk as fences it would give a good effect and an advantage for them when changing seat (it's always a too easy way to escape.
  • (from dot above)balance when changing seat :  may take a tiny time more, and Z's should run at the other seat at the start of switching! (so when at new seat, Z's will be close to door, but not on it).

I have a terrrrible idea ! even better than mailbox box and olders (an other one terrible, for Z buffer, have to stay to verify if it is feasble):

• Add a water capacity to sink and bathroom !
    I think for a moment to a way to stock a big capacity of water because bottle are tiny and don't like actually stock 20 pots in crates. thought to a metal tank to craft as big as crates : posable only on a crate or 2nd crate (to match with fuilds dynamics) to fill in with potable water (and fuel now). But with the actual occupation of devs, i little gave up "suggest new crafts". 
    The bathroom and bathtub is very useless, after cutoff sink too, (exept for dismantle, so bathroom become empty too). So this can add more utility and reality in houses and the interest to keep our sink and bathtub. 
    • add the ability to contain water by closing valve
    • "pour in option" ( tap too before shutdown, so we will fill all bathtub an sink of the house before cutoff, who will be very immersive)
    • empty and loose ability to contain water by open valve
    • water soiled if outdoor, and after some month if indoor
    • So, I read back and add (easy water tank implementation) : even the metal crates could contain water (and or fuel !)
      •  only if not placed on floor (so on a crates or at top at stacked 3 crates ). So for that must be able to 3x stacks metal crates....
      • Loosing ability to be container if contain liquid (and reverse if contain object).
      • Water never soil compared to sink/bathtub filled !

Plllllzzzz ! :-D

Edited by arkahys

7 minutes ago, arkahys said:
  • The bathroom and bathtub is very useless, after cutoff sink too, (exept for dismantle, so bathroom become empty too). So this can add more utility and reality in houses and the interest to keep our sink and bathtub. 

It's a little known feature, but you actually can make sinks useful after the water goes out. If you put a rain barrel one tile from the side of the sink on a floor above, the sink will draw water from it and automatically purify it.

• The "radio van" has only a receiver radio, should have a receiver /Transmiter radio
  • refuel generator is not a queued action.

1 hour ago, NorthRoad said:

It's a little known feature, but you actually can make sinks useful after the water goes out. If you put a rain barrel one tile from the side of the sink on a floor above, the sink will draw water from it and automatically purify it.

Yes, but i think this purification is a bug or a no sens advantage to a possibility. I think to that possiblity with a tank of water (and the logic of fuilds dynamics make easier to find the tricks and to implement IG).
To think further, if implemented, add "take fuel pump", and next to a "metal crate filled with fuel" ... don't say more  ! :-D
I'm now trying to focus on suggestions that allow openings ( hope it is the good translate to make me understand).

Edited by arkahys

I see that people are saying the transfer bug is still there, so I'll just confirm that (on our hosted mp server of just myself and my boyfriend) we are constantly losing items every day. We seem to get around this by selecting the item and moving it to the ground before then moving it to our inventory, but often we forget to do this, or are rushed, and can't, and will find that we've then lost the item. (It doesn't matter what container it comes from, it seemingly randomly during any transfer.) 

Also, in the case of car seat containers, items can not be placed on the ground from inside the car, so the rate of losing items from the car seats/glovebox is pretty high for us.

Car keys disappearing is also still a major problem for us. I'm the client to my bf's hosted server, and I lose them more often than him (but he will still lose them), and I can say that I will lose them about 75% of the time when turning off the engine. (Doesn't matter if I click the key, or use the N keybind; the key will not be in my inventory, will not be anywhere in the car, and will not be on the ground.) This wouldn't be so bad if we could admin spawn in a key, but the Base.CarKey doesn't seem to be for any car in particular. Does anyone know how to spawn a key for your specific car? (I know we can hotwire, but in the beginning, without the skill, losing the ability to take your car back home after loading it up kinda bites.) To avoid losing access to our car completely, we duplicate our keys by making copies of our player saves, and then replacing them, but this becomes more and more of a hassle as the game progresses, because the file size becomes pretty large, and transferring the folder starts to take too long.

Another thing I noticed with cars, is that, no matter how fast I go while driving (presumably) southeast, or towards the bottom right corner, driving over zombies does not kill them, only knocks them down. However, if I drive northwest, or towards the upper left corner, I can kill zombies easily, not even going full speed. If I turn around again, thinking "Okay, I did some damage going north, so now I should be able to kill them going south", I still only knock the zombies down. 
I drove multiple times up and down a road, and only ever killed the zombies while going towards the top left corner.

Vehicles are super awesome, btw! I'm excited to see them get better and better. :D The transfer bugs are harsh, but we can't see playing PZ without the vehicles anymore, ahahaha!

1 hour ago, SonaGX said:

I see that people are saying the transfer bug is still there, so I'll just confirm that (on our hosted mp server of just myself and my boyfriend) we are constantly losing items every day. We seem to get around this by selecting the item and moving it to the ground before then moving it to our inventory, but often we forget to do this, or are rushed, and can't, and will find that we've then lost the item. (It doesn't matter what container it comes from, it seemingly randomly during any transfer.) 

Also, in the case of car seat containers, items can not be placed on the ground from inside the car, so the rate of losing items from the car seats/glovebox is pretty high for us.

Car keys disappearing is also still a major problem for us. I'm the client to my bf's hosted server, and I lose them more often than him (but he will still lose them), and I can say that I will lose them about 75% of the time when turning off the engine. (Doesn't matter if I click the key, or use the N keybind; the key will not be in my inventory, will not be anywhere in the car, and will not be on the ground.) This wouldn't be so bad if we could admin spawn in a key, but the Base.CarKey doesn't seem to be for any car in particular. Does anyone know how to spawn a key for your specific car? (I know we can hotwire, but in the beginning, without the skill, losing the ability to take your car back home after loading it up kinda bites.) To avoid losing access to our car completely, we duplicate our keys by making copies of our player saves, and then replacing them, but this becomes more and more of a hassle as the game progresses, because the file size becomes pretty large, and transferring the folder starts to take too long.

Another thing I noticed with cars, is that, no matter how fast I go while driving (presumably) southeast, or towards the bottom right corner, driving over zombies does not kill them, only knocks them down. However, if I drive northwest, or towards the upper left corner, I can kill zombies easily, not even going full speed. If I turn around again, thinking "Okay, I did some damage going north, so now I should be able to kill them going south", I still only knock the zombies down. 
I drove multiple times up and down a road, and only ever killed the zombies while going towards the top left corner.

Vehicles are super awesome, btw! I'm excited to see them get better and better. :D The transfer bugs are harsh, but we can't see playing PZ without the vehicles anymore, ahahaha!

Cheers for the reports - I think we've hopefully fixed the items loss bug in the upcoming build, though @Pandorea will have to confirm if it's also fixed up the key issue.  Likewise zombie-striking with cars is also something we've looked at.

Glad you like the vehicles. Still a little bit to go on them, but it's good that people are having fun with 'em.