RELEASED: Vehicle Test 41

RobertJohnson

Happy to say driving feels a lot smoother now. 25 FPS in the center of west point now, up from 15 in last build. I am still suffering from "slow downs" every few seconds, but it has been getting better patch by patch (gets worse depending on graphics settings, v-sync off helps a lot).

edit: Also editing the ProjectZomboid64.json to allow higher ram usage also seems to help with freezes my friend was having.

Edited by iwawa

Does the lucky trait effect key spawns? Because while the old days of there being a key for more than half of the cars in a parking lot are gone, that has lead me to look for keys in the ignition more, which seems quite common.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the rate at which I'm finding car keys either in the ignition or in the house it's parked outside of is unrealistic, it's definitely not that, but it is a little unbalanced from a game design perspective I think.

Edited by TheZombiesPro115

2 minutes ago, iwawa said:

Happy to say driving feels a lot smoother now. 25 FPS in the center of west point now, up from 15 from last build. I am still suffering from "slow downs" every few seconds, but it has been getting better patch by patch (gets worse depending on graphics settings, v-sync off helps a lot).

Try setting the task priority of projectzomboid.exe to high, this has helped me lots with those little mini stutters.

• Found a bug i reproduced consistently, where if you get in a car and get out without making sure you take the key out first/turn the engine off and another player gets in that car, the key deletes itself.
  • It would be far more practical if you would always keep the car key on you despite it being in the ignition, moving keys back and forth like that is bound to create issues. The amount of times I've forgotten to turn off the engine and lost the key because of the aforementioned bug is getting a bit silly :D
  • Keys in your keychain always go into your inventory after use (instead of your keychain).
  • The ground container is still broken in multiplayer. If you put items on the floor, other players can't see them.
  • Items still get deleted when taken out of a car trunk. Does not apply to car seats, they work fine.
  • It would be nice if you could unlock the trunk for other players to access.
  • The big road block/car crash between Muldraugh and West Point is extremely buggy, lots of vehicles humping each other, floating cars and flashing textures.

Edited by iwawa

18 hours ago, RealHumanBeing said:

I spotted bug, when you can't see your car throught windowless frame.

There is many many many bugs with cars not rendering when they should at the moment, and with them rendering when they shouldn't. I assume the developers are tackling more serious issues right now before they get on it.

getting random freezes in linux, often in the same spot (seems to happen when moving from one map cell to another) - reloading the game and going the same way freezes it up again with character in the same spot (approximately) - reloading and moving around a bit, saving, quitting and reloading from a later save then allows me to move into the previously "freezing" map-cell. game freezes and has to be killed through sigterm process. If I can post some debug log, please let me know how to, will do.

The most irritating think that I don't like in newer builds is car disappearing when they out of sight.

They static, I know that the car stay right behind me, no need to hide them.

The overall view of the map is much, much more pleasant with the cars on background, especially with car wrecks, the world look more natural.

And the the visual representation of car disappearance is ugly.

45 minutes ago, B33ware said:

The most irritating think that I don't like in newer builds is car disappearing when they out of sight.

The overall view of the map is much, much more pleasant with the cars on background, especially with car wrecks, the world look more natural.

as I said before weeks ago.. THIS is soooo true !!!!

55 minutes ago, Anishka said:

I have some pleasant bug with the car :) it can contain higher weight than the max one. For example, trunk in my car  contains 85 weight, but I could load the items with the total weight 95

Those post give me some idea for a car overweight.

Cars can have some weight capacity like now, but like player they can hold additional weight (+15% for example).

When your car overloaded, your suspension and maybe tires should be damaged faster

4 hours ago, B33ware said:

3 hours ago, King-Salomon said:

as I said before weeks ago.. THIS is soooo true !!!!

I think the ideal would be to have cars disappear like characters when the engine is running, but be as visible as buildings/corpses when stationary.

Anybody have issues entering vehicles? Cars are occasionally unresponsive when pressing E on them, which is usually remedied by restarting the game. However, as of late it seems pretty hit or miss whether my van wants to cooperate.

The bug also seems to affect removing/installing parts too. My survivor just stands there contemplating whether or not removing the battery will reset his preset radio stations.

Edited by chachajenkins

14 minutes ago, trombonaught said:

I think the ideal would be to have cars disappear like characters when the engine is running, but be as visible as buildings/corpses when stationary.

if the engine is running you can hear them too ... so it would make even less sense to make them invisible  -.-

the whole idea is ... as postboxes, litters, HOUSES etc don't vanish too if you show them your back... -.-  it makes sense for Zombies but other than that...  I can see that it MIGHT make sense for MP sometimes, but than it should be a server option or a sandbox option and not destroy SP immertion... -.-

So, after some intensive testing, I've found out what part of the cars needs a serious rebalance: Tire Durability

Right now, tires degenerate just TOO, TOO FAST!

On my pickup truck, I go thru TRHEE SETS OF PERFORMANCE TIRES before my (standard) gas tank is even halved. And don't get me started on Valu-tires; going from March Ridge to Valley Station is all that takes for a brand new set of them to start popping or falling. And how you drive makes no difference....

Whether you drive like you're on your licence test, or if you go around Mad Max-ing, it makes no difference at all on the tires (it DOES make a difference on Suspension and Brakes, tho).

And keep in mind all of these tests were done in no-zeds maps, so this was all without taking into account the usual amount of dodging you have to do to avoid totalling your car against Zed.

I'm having a weird issue. Sometimes to avoid hitting zombies with my vehicle I drive off the road and into it again, thing is that on occasion my car will crash into something invisible, getting damaged and making a full stop as if there was something there. In the world I'm playing there's a lot of erosion already, so I'm guessing maybe the game is treating the very early stages of roots as full trees? otherwise I can't tell what is happening and I can't reproduce it.

Edited by TheLeonBM

2 hours ago, Blake81 said:

So, after some intensive testing, I've found out what part of the cars needs a serious rebalance: Tire Durability

Right now, tires degenerate just TOO, TOO FAST!

On my pickup truck, I go thru TRHEE SETS OF PERFORMANCE TIRES before my (standard) gas tank is even halved. And don't get me started on Valu-tires; going from March Ridge to Valley Station is all that takes for a brand new set of them to start popping or falling. And how you drive makes no difference....

Whether you drive like you're on your licence test, or if you go around Mad Max-ing, it makes no difference at all on the tires (it DOES make a difference on Suspension and Brakes, tho).

And keep in mind all of these tests were done in no-zeds maps, so this was all without taking into account the usual amount of dodging you have to do to avoid totalling your car against Zed.

Agreed! I think the degradation of car parts is pretty balanced at the moment except for tires. Also it seems that driving on non-road surfaces degrades tires faster? I drove over some dirt road and my tired seemed to degrade really quickly.

Now another thing, it seems like cars aren't yet spawning in the riverside gated club / golf course area and the farms and the town in the west.

On 12/9/2017 at 10:19 AM, MSKRod said:

getting random freezes in linux, often in the same spot (seems to happen when moving from one map cell to another) - reloading the game and going the same way freezes it up again with character in the same spot (approximately) - reloading and moving around a bit, saving, quitting and reloading from a later save then allows me to move into the previously "freezing" map-cell. game freezes and has to be killed through sigterm process. If I can post some debug log, please let me know how to, will do.

the easiest way is to simply open a terminal, go to the projectzomboid folder, and attempt to run it there. Any errors will be output to the terminal and you can copy and paste from there. 

I tried it today and I get this error, every time it checks.

1513188428284 function: getBodyTemperature -- file: Vehicles.lua line # 789
1513188428285 function: updateBodyTemperature -- file: season.lua line # 131
1513188428285 function: EveryTenMinutes -- file: season.lua line # 36

There is also a weird issue with entering a car through a door, then getting out of it through another door without changing seats.

Edited by Soul Filcher

Build Vehicle 30:

[New]

• Optimization to map streaming, removing locks between game threads when it comes to chunk loading.
  • WIP collision detection and damaged road furniture sprites. This work isn't complete, and we'd like any weird behaviour reported. Mail boxes, stop signs, garbage bins etc will now appear as damaged when hit at the correct speed.
  • Outside temperature displayed on car dashboard.
  • Added books for mechanic skill.
  • Added Lug Wrench item. This is now required to remove/install tires.
  • Updated many icons.
  • Car key colour now matches the colour of the individual car they work in.
  • A car key icon appear on top of player's head if they are near a car that they have the key for.
  • Dashboard is now bit wider on-screen.
  • You can now use game speed hotkey (F3,F4...) while inside the Mechanic or crafting UI.
  • Added Muffler car part. This influences engine loudness, as most other parts, come in three varieties.
  • Added Repair Engine ability: Mechanics can get Spare Engine Parts from other engines - cannibalizing them and setting condition to 0. The number of Spare Parts retrieved depends on your skill level and the engine condition. These parts can then be used to patch up your own engine through a right click of the engine on the Mechanic Skills menu.
  • Now recaculate the general condition of the car after changing one of it's part.

[Balance]

• Balanced how Mechanic XP is given. It is now dependent on the difficulty of what you're doing - so replacing a headlight won't give XP, tire changes will only give a small amount etc.
  • Lowered the chance to lower tire conditions.
  • Increased texture resolution when rendering a model.
  • Factorised vehicle scripts with templates.
  • Lowered the odds of getting random small car crash on the road.

[Bug Fix]

• Fixed player entering the car onto the wrong rear seat.
  • Fixed bug with player temperature calculation.
  • Fixed uninstalling tire on some cars requiring a screwdriver instead of a jack.
  • Fixed middle seats appearing as shelves in inventory.
  • Clicking the heater icon on the dashboard now close the current heater UI instead of opening new one.
  • Fixed rear car door having the wrong seat.
  • Fixed some parts disapearing when installing them.
  • Fixed Van Special not having a name.
  • Fixed some vehicles having wrong rust texture.
  • Fixed being able to duplicate car item by stacking the install actions.
  • Fixed car parts not being updated if you're outside the vehicle doing Mechanics.
  • Fixed removing the car battery not turning off headlights.
  • Fixed rendering of railings caused by incorrect tile property.
  • Fixed shoved zombies being drawn behind walls.
  • Fixed walls obscuring the player when on a staircase.
  • Fixed amount of rotten spice used.
  • Fixed not being able to rotate furniture.
  • Fixed the game displaying (fresh) after item names in recipe tooltips in the inventory window.
  • Removed obsolete farming.Milk item from two recipes.
  • Fixed traps not catching animals.
  • Fixed lock up when exiting the game.
  • Fixed a bug when trying to operate certain parts (windows, seats, doors).
  • Fixed removing small car's battery not requiring vehicle key.
  • An engine with 0 condition will now make the ignition to fail.