RELEASED: Vehicle Test 41

RobertJohnson

3 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Not sure if this is a bug, but every 2 door compact hatchback is green and everything is either black or a slightly tinted shade of a dark other color.

Yeah, so far never seen a non-green compact, and black seems to be the main color of choice by the RNGesus that paints the vehicles.

Okay, I can see there's definetly improvement optimisation wise. I see that with high zombie count, game chokes much less, the FPS is much more bearable, but still stutters and is far from what it should be.

I haven't noticed any serious issues either, it's much better than build 25 was. The Dash is amazing, and I love how it shows every little detail.

However I noticed that gearbox in most cars seems to be broken or has wrong shifting. Why does car shift at 1000-2000 rpm? It makes cars sooo sluggish.

Also yeah, random car slowing down is still there.

Devs, can you fix car sounds now and heater? Pretty please!

Edited by Eggtooth

It seems like there is an issue with the input reader thread and the other threads.

When a large number of zombies have been "viewed" or are on screen, character actions seem to be slow to fire.

-Getting water from faucets is not immediate (no response for a few seconds, then fill bar shows up, or character moves and starts to fill)

-Getting fuel from the gas pumps is not immediate

-Turning the car is sluggish

-Accelerating is almost non-existant 

For example, I've currently got an insane sandbox going. I summoned all the zombies along the main strip in Muldraugh, using the vehicle horn, and dragged them from the Pizza Whirl up to the motel and factory beyond. The more zombies I attracted, the more sluggish the vehicle response to turns became, and no matter how long I held down the accelerate key, the vehicle simply never sped up beyond 30ish mph. It was enough to keep me in front of the zombie horde, but not zip away. I was in front of the crowd, so they weren't physically blocking my advance.

Once I ditched the crowd, I was able to accelerate up to a decent speed. Going to the gas station pumps near the motel, I started getting stutters every 30 seconds or so, which would last about a half a second. It was also at the gas station that the fill delay begin to surface. In the past, I've needed to actually quit PZ entirely (not just return to the main menu) in order to clear up the lagginess. I haven't had a chance to test this with the newest build.

So it's almost like player input is either being dropped from the buffer, or the entities off camera are causing some minor thread starvation...

/shrugs

I have no clue how the game is architected, so I may completely off base here; just some food for thought!

Shin

Edited by Shinjitsu noDeshi

I just found out an issue that, while not car-related, it's taking place on this build and (as far as I know) not on the normal IWBUMS, and wasn't on the previous car build.

Table lamps no longer give any light.

It's not that they have no power; the turn on/off option still shows up and it wouldn't if they were unpowered. But they emit no light at all.

So this is a thing :D

I was dragging a large group from the Muldraugh motel towards the Pile O Crepes. I had already brought one group up there and then left them behind - this picture shows what happened when I got sandwiched between the two hordes.

I got stuck, was moving at a snails pace forward, and then started "rubber banding" for lack of a better term. In an instant, I crushed a huge number of zombies, and then flipped on the side....

Shin

171118-PZRolledIt.jpg

Something really needs to be done about the whole Car Key thing... If hotwiring is ever going to be truly useful, we need to get rid of all these ''Needs Key'' replacement options. I mean, seriously, I can take out the battery of a car without its key, BUT PUTTING IT BACK STILL REQUIRES IT? That makes no sense. The same goes for the seats, can take them out, but not put them back without the key. That makes no sense again...

Sorry if I sound a bit pissy, it's that I just found not one, not two but THREE Ranger Pickups (my favorite car) at the big golf resort, but all 3 have dead batteries and no keys.... this is too much a tease....

Edited by Blake81

5 hours ago, Blake81 said:

Something really needs to be done about the whole Car Key thing... If hotwiring is ever going to be truly useful, we need to get rid of all these ''Needs Key'' replacement options. I mean, seriously, I can take out the battery of a car without its key, BUT PUTTING IT BACK STILL REQUIRES IT? That makes no sense. The same goes for the seats, can take them out, but not put them back without the key. That makes no sense again...

Sorry if I sound a bit pissy, it's that I just found not one, not two but THREE Ranger Pickups (my favorite car) at the big golf resort, but all 3 have dead batteries and no keys.... this is too much a tease....

This is all WIP, btw.

Keys is needed to remove or uninstall most of the stuff (except tire/brakes/suspension), if it's not, it's simply some lack of scripting, not everything is done yet.

34 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

This is all WIP, btw.

Keys is needed to remove or uninstall most of the stuff (except tire/brakes/suspension), if it's not, it's simply some lack of scripting, not everything is done yet.

Personally, I think once you remove the window or door, things shouldn't need keys. Nothing's stopping me from working on a cars interior when it comes to keys in real life. Currently you can uninstall things without a key but can't install them. if you ask me, after breaking the door in any way you should be able to uninstall/install anything without the key.

Edit: Also, things under the hood usually don't need keys to access regardless.

Edited by Kuren

Sandbox single player, insane hordes. Vehicle test 26.1:

- Car keys are duplicating themselves again.

- Melted icecream is randomly appearing in my inventory (even if I don't have any icecream, unmelted or otherwise, in my inventory.) This was happening with the IWBUMS Megatest III too.

- Entering a 4-door vehicle on the rear driver side puts you in the rear passenger side of the vehicle, and vice-versa. (Reproduce - press 'E' to get in, and 'E' again to immediately exit. You come out on the other side of the car.) Along these lines is the "switch to seat" vehicle option. It seems to put you on the opposite of the car from what you selected.

- The radio on the kitchen counter at this location:

http://map.projectzomboid.com/?#0.531154128160994,0.3108601703986501,590.6682291542426

cannot be interacted with unless you remove the sink cabinet. You can bring up the device options menu, but you can't do anything in it.

- Finding keys has gone from too easy to a real PITA. I have yet to find any car keys in houses. I've found a few on the ground near cars, a few on zombies, and a few in the ignition.

- I still have moments of system stutter, but exiting to desktop and then restarting the game clears these up for awhile. Overall performance has improved IMO.

- Vehicles need a "Rest" option in addition to the "Sleep" option.

- Reading a book while in a vehicle locks you permanently into the read mode. The only way to cancel it is to start the vehicle; I couldn't find any other action which would take you out of the "book reading" state. Note - if you can't start the car, or if you are sitting in a passenger seat, you are permanently stuck.

Should we be putting these into the bug tracker, or would you rather we continue to post them here?

Shin

6 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

Well, yeah, but that's exactly the problem.... We really SHOULDN'T need it for many of those things. I mean, we don't in real life.

If I understand it correctly, the reason you need the key is because all of those parts are usually inside of the car and wouldn't be possible to get them without opening the car. However, once the car is already open, be it via proper key opening or by breaking the window with a crowbar and opening it from inside, there's really no more need for the key. The same goes for all under the hood; you don't open the hood with a key, you open it with the Open Hood lever inside, and sure, you need the key to get to it, but once you're already inside, you don't.

Maybe, instead of needing the key to remove all of these things, we could require for the doors to be unlocked or open instead. That would make much more sense, and (IMHO) I don't think it would be too hard to implement as you already have the door locks implemented.

Edited by Blake81

7 hours ago, Kuren said:

Personally, I think once you remove the window or door, things shouldn't need keys. Nothing's stopping me from working on a cars interior when it comes to keys in real life. Currently you can uninstall things without a key but can't install them. if you ask me, after breaking the door in any way you should be able to uninstall/install anything without the key.

Edit: Also, things under the hood usually don't need keys to access regardless.

Good call, gonna add this :)

Under the hood need a key tho (or vehicle unlocked), how do you open the hood if you don't? (you have to open it from the inside)

11 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

Under the hood need a key tho (or vehicle unlocked), how do you open the hood if you don't? (you have to open it from the inside)

I understood Kuren to be saying pretty much this - as long as you can get into the vehicle, you should be able to access under the hood.

I would say though, unless you can get to the interior of the vehicle, you shouldn't be able to remove / replace anything except externally accessible parts (tires, brakes, shocks, headlights (?), gas tank). I haven't tried removing a locked door from a car I can't get into.... yet.

Now, breaking a window to get into the car? That should be doable.

Shin

11 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

Yay! Can't wait for that!

7 hours ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

- Finding keys has gone from too easy to a real PITA. I have yet to find any car keys in houses. I've found a few on the ground near cars, a few on zombies, and a few in the ignition.

You have found keys on Zed? I've found a few in houses and on the ground, but never on Zed. Were they one of those corpses that spawn dead already, or were they (un)alive and you killed them?

36 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

Thanks for considering our feedback :D And I get that approach for balance even though I feel like you could potentially force the hood open or even remove it :)

26 minutes ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

I understood Kuren to be saying pretty much this - as long as you can get into the vehicle, you should be able to access under the hood.

And yeah, that's basically what I was trying to get across :) The big thing here is the "key" for cars should only be required for a few things, like locking/unlocking the trunk and locking/unlocking doors from the outside of the car (inside you should have door unlock/lock access without keys, same as if you broke the window) as well as of course starting the car should require them without the proper skills. Once that access to the inside is there everything should be game to install/uninstall though. Basically once the car has been unlocked in some way it should be open to everyone regardless of having the key or not (even if it's just from breaking a window and you never find a key).

Edited by Kuren

4 minutes ago, Blake81 said:

You have found keys on Zed? I've found a few in houses and on the ground, but never on Zed. Were they one of those corpses that spawn dead already, or were they (un)alive and you killed them?

Sorry I wasn't paying real close attention. :( I'll try and keep better track of this going forward.

I think they were on zeds I mercied.

On 11/18/2017 at 1:49 PM, Blake81 said:

I just found out an issue that, while not car-related, it's taking place on this build and (as far as I know) not on the normal IWBUMS, and wasn't on the previous car build.

Table lamps no longer give any light.

It's not that they have no power; the turn on/off option still shows up and it wouldn't if they were unpowered. But they emit no light at all.

I have something similar happening to me, but I think it's been happening since before this build.

I noticed all external lamps (or at least all I tested, mostly in Riverside) are permanently on. You can click them, even use right-click, the "turn off/turn on" options are there, the sounds are played, but it makes no difference, they are always emitting light, even if you remove the lightbulbs.

Edited by Deimos Eilhart
Forgot to mention the lightbulbs

3 hours ago, Deimos Eilhart said:

I have something similar happening to me, but I think it's been happening since before this build.

I noticed all external lamps (or at least all I tested, mostly in Riverside) are permanently on. You can click them, even use right-click, the "turn off/turn on" options are there, the sounds are played, but it makes no difference, they are always emitting light, even if you remove the lightbulbs.

Yes, I started noticing this too after Blake made his post.

You can remove the lightbulb from the table lamps too, and they still put out light. The only way to shut them off is to pick them up.

Shin

2 hours ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

Yes, I started noticing this too after Blake made his post.

You can remove the lightbulb from the table lamps too, and they still put out light. The only way to shut them off is to pick them up.

Shin

Yup! I can confirm all this. They are perma-on.

I want to point out about the vehicles on the highways (traffic pileups) usually cars that are on the highways arnt usually burnt compared to the highway scenes shown in movies  such as Zombieland.

image.png.83e8b63ba283380845a9e0f69f324b36.png

something like mostly abandoned cars with doors and trunks open up,  luggage on the roofs and littered on the roads. another example is some emergency vehicles that responded to the accidents as seen in the image below.

image.png.b8067badb03eccb062977e4595c80600.png

31 minutes ago, RobertJohnson said:

@Tails: Our car crash aren't like this 'cause Will have specific stories for them ;)

Also, anyone still having vehicle teleporting randomly sometimes or is it fixed?

But Robert, will you add cars like on pictures shown above? Please, it really will look nice as well. The reason for that is that currently burnt cars look bland and samey. It just looks pretty bland compared to rest of the game. Adding vehicles that are broke but NOT burnt down in pileups would make it better imho.. or atleast make it an option to toggle in sandbox options like maybe amount of burned cars. How about it?

Edited by Eggtooth