RELEASED: Vehicle Test 41

RobertJohnson

18 hours ago, Eggtooth said:

Yeye, its fine, though the build runs actually considerably worse for me.

I have i3-6100, 3.7GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1050Ti 4GB and I still get stutter with normal amount of zombies. I get about 10 FPS in cities, while random stutter is significantly more prominent. Game pushes my CPU to 50-60% territory all the time... which still makes game stutter badly.

Also cars still attract zombies WAAAY too much even when attraction is set to zero.

Tested in 25.1, is also a lot worse for me. Driving into the center of towns causes insane stuttering now.

I am also getting the "car slows down and speeds up every second" issue to a larger extent than in build 24. I could upload a video of it if that is helpful RJ, but i assume you already know what it looks like?

On 9.11.2017 at 9:13 AM, RobertJohnson said:

Can someone provide me a vehicle build 24 save file so i can investigate this load problem?

Here is mine[link deleted]  (the automatic backup before conversion - should be in b24 state)

Edit: It's not fully vanilla though, don't know if that's a problem. :-/

Edited by Leoquent
dropbox link deleted

Build 25.1

Chevalier Cerise vehicle menu has options to move to "Rear Left Seat" and "Rear Right Seat". The action moves you to the opposite side - eg selecting the left seat puts you in the right, and vice-versa. This happens with other vehicles too, but I haven't kept track of which ones.

Shin

Edited by Shinjitsu noDeshi

To everyone who has had save compatibility bugs. We're working to fix them, but just to be clear - there are massive changes being introduced to the vehicle branch, it's not EVEN IWBUMs (I will back up my save) yet, so unfortunately in many cases it'll be difficult to avoid save issues

WARNING: Due to the amount of development and features being added to this branch, please do not expect any save compatibility. We'll try to keep it compatible but you should expect breakage.

It will get better once vehicles move into IWBUMs and we'll do our best, but the reality is this will likely happen from time to time and we may get situations its not possible to fix or would take too much time to fix. Sorry about this but it's largely unavoidable since we have two active versions and heavy development on this one.

guessing you know about the directx error when loading a save from the last version.

not a problem for me - just started a new game and its all good.

didnt actually make it into a car as i spawned in riverside in an empty house - in a row of mostly empty houses and spent ages in hand to hand combat :)

how do people in riverside get their mail - as there doesnt seem to be many mailbox thingies. 

Hello. I've been playing the PZ vehicle branch recently and having a lot of fun with it.

My system is:
Intel Core i5 3.30GHz
8GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Nvidia GeForce GTX 950

Here's my feedback about PZ vehicles, and a video to back this up: 

I've tried vehicles with "proper zombies", and also with variations of lesser zombies. So far, I've played with Easy Use Vehicles switched ON.

Vehicles in general:
I really like the vehicles and find the general "feel" of their handling to be good. I particularly like the way you lose control and skid if you take a corner too fast.

Do vehicles make the game too easy?
In general, I don't think vehicles make the game too easy. In fact: I think they make the game somewhat harder, as you have to be careful with engine sounds attracting zombies. Initially I tried "proper zombies" on a normal sandbox game, and found it difficult to get a foothold (dying after 3 days in two quick, successive games). Then I tried zombies set with low sight, hearing, smell and memory, and a low multiplier on the engine noise attraction. This was definitely too easy, but gave me chance to get a feel for using vehicles without too much panic. I'm currently playing with "proper zombies" senses and memory, and normal (1.0) on the engine noise multiplier, and I'm finding it just about right. That said, I've set population density to high (one down from Insane), because I'm screenshot-chasing for an article I'm writing. I can just about get a foothold, but it's not easy.

I found that I had to change my style of play with vehicles. When driving around, and approaching a building I was targeting to enter, I would leave the car in a place that would lure the zombies away from where I would be running to. The car engine noise would alert them and they would start walking towards me. Then I would jump out and run past them towards my target. I would do the same when approaching one of my safe house too. If there were lots of zombies around I found it wasn't a good idea to pull up right outside a safe house in a vehicle, as this would attract them right to your doorstep.

Performance:
Generally, performance was good with the vehicle branch on my machine, although I did eperience SOME slowdown, and screen juddering. Not a huge amount - only occasionally. Only once or twice did it interfere with play. I do tend to have other unrelated software running in the background, while I'm playing the game.

Bugs:
On occasion (in my current game), I smash into invisible wreckage in the road. I'm guessing that these are car wrecks that haven't rendered properly. My current game is the only one so far where I've switched on car wrecks at junctions. When I had this switched off in previous games I didn't encounter it. You can also crash into tin cans and other small objects in the road, but then you probably already know this.

I noticed that, in a couple of my recent games, that the yellow taxis were randomly bouncing on their suspension, by themselves. Driving them was okay, but leaving them would set them off bouncing again. I haven't noticed this in my last couple of games (I wonder if this is related to car wrecks being switched on, as my last two games have been the only ones that have had this).

Not sure why, but in my current game there are houses where I can't close the curtains on windows that seem to have curtains. I've not seen this bug in any of my previous vehicle games, just my current one.

Vehicle damage:
I like the vehicle damage so far. It's not too harsh, and driving a favourite car around for a long time does result in a beaten-up motor that looks like it's been through hell. Which is good.

Stalling:
I like that some vehicles stall. Finding a car that keeps stalling as you try to drive away is scary. Even cars that drive well should stall every now and then. But also the majority of cars should just run normally. It's that small, random element that makes it tense.

Game crashing:
On a couple of occasions, I've gotten into a car, only for it to stop dead, and then crash the game. When I restarted the game first time this happened the car had disappeared. On other occasions: I restarted and the car was still there, but it was unusable (I could get in, but not drive anywhere).

Suggestions for vehicles:

Killing zombies in vehicles:
The only disappointing thing I found about PZ vehicles was that they were not as effective at killing zombies as I had hoped. Unless you were driving into zombies at high speed, often the zombies would get back up and follow you. I would like it to be easier to kill zombies with vehicles, at least at certain game settings. If I drive into a crowd of zombies at speed with a large vehicle I would expect more of them to be put down for good with one pass, and more to be incapacitated or splattered. If I was driving through them at medium speed I'd expect more to put down for good too, and at lower speeds: more to at least be mangled.

More variety:
I'd like to see a bit more variety in the type of vehicles you can drive, if possible. As good as vehicles are, they do feel a little samey in terms of speed and handling. The small, Japanese-looking car (one of the smallest ones) is the most fun to drive because it's the fastest and most manoeuverable. Would love to see larger vehicles (buses, trucks and articulated lorries), and smaller vehicles (motorbikes, micro cars like the Dacia Sandaro), although this may be asking too much. :-)

Using the boot/trunk:
Vehicles could be more useful for transferring items between locations. Filling the boot full of planks to take to your new outpost sounds appealing to me. Transferring heavy items between safe houses is a still a major chore.

Handling:
I think I'd like to see a wider range of vehicle handling types. What you have now is good - I can see and feel differences between the smaller, European and Japanese style cars, and the larger American cars - but I still feel as though a wider range of vehicles would benefit the game greatly, and give the naysayers less to moan about.

The vehicle menu:
Initially it bothered me that the ignition key icon was not in the same place every time I brought the vehicle menu up. But then I thought that that would be similar to real life (the ignition key hole would be in a different place in every car), so I just learned to live with it.

Getting your vehicle stuck:
I don't think that PZ vehicles can currently get stuck in mud, or driving on grass, or in woodland.
In real life, vehicles would be getting stuck all the time, BUT you don't want to introduce a feature like "getting stuck in the mud" if it's going to make the game hell to play. That said, making it an option in the settings and balancing it so that it happens only occasionally, may add another layer to the tension.

Hitting things, versus not hitting things:
At the moment there are various poles and roadside furniture that you can drive though, without them stopping you. In some ways this is a relief, as having everything "hittable" may actually be a bit of a nightmare. I'm not sure about this.

Other suggestions:
Tyre tracks in blood or mud. I always play with Ultra Gore on, because I like the drama. Might be fun to see vehicles leaving blood tracks if driving through pools of zombie blood. Or even skid marks on tarmac.

Exhaust smoke from sick vehicles? Sick vehicles that burst into flames? Vehicles bursting into flames because of mis-use?

Stuff I've not tried yet:
I've not tried torching a car yet, so can't comment on what fire does to cars or the surrounding environment. My twisted mind wants to send burning cars into crowds of zombies... This is something I'm going to have to play with.

I've also not tried jumping out of a fast moving car yet. Why have I not tried that? Might be worth having that possible, although I can see it being a can of worms. I guess everything is a can of worms in game development. :-)

Had issues with these. Police car texture glows in the dark. Keys on the bridge between WP and The Mall are sitting in the water, also got stuck in that car because I jumped over a ledge since I couldn't get in from the other side. I unlocked it, jumped back, jumped again, got in (I think) and so on. If I press v I can access the car but can't turn radio or anything <.__.>

Also, March Ridge cars (first picture) are all facing the wrong way. Most of them are parked in front of doors etc and I found it quite funny as one glitched out of a fence and I smashed into it. XD It works a bit, a tiny bit better. It's true that the city zone slows me down because of rendering, my zoom is 100-150 max when driving. I still get lag that affects gameplay because of it. Will be waiting for the things said to be done about lower specs pc's to help people out. Cheers.

20171104071453_1.jpg

20171110155816_1.jpg

20171110160221_1.jpg

Edited by Legoland99

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

In my opinion it should be less cars parked around, especially at parking lots. It should be rather luxury to find a working car. And these keys are lying next to the cars are made just for test purposes? In normal game should be harder to find a key, yes?

Personally, I'm not sure if I want to faff around with keys for vehicles. Like I don't want to faff around with human bodily functions in the game. :-) A game like PZ can only take reality so far, until it starts to adversely affect gameplay.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

In my opinion it should be less cars parked around, especially at parking lots. It should be rather luxury to find a working car. And these keys are lying next to the cars are made just for test purposes? In normal game should be harder to find a key, yes?

I think a chance to find a working car should depend on a time, that was passed ingame. Also, devs should make it harder to get in cars - keys that lying on the floor as you said, ruins it.

Still, making this run properly should be priority right now, which after thursdoid, seems like it is. I hope we'll see in coming week or two huge optimisation patch, because I really want to enjoy PZ, but going to build without vehicles.. is sort of meh now xd

Also smaller litter still has collision. Not every, but some.

Edited by Eggtooth

11 hours ago, Eggtooth said:

Still, making this run properly should be priority right now, which after thursdoid, seems like it is. I hope we'll see in coming week or two huge optimisation patch, because I really want to enjoy PZ, but going to build without vehicles.. is sort of meh now xd

Also smaller litter still has collision. Not every, but some.

Yeah, It's downright unplayable on my rig, and it's not too shabby. It's a GTX 960 with an i3 4170, 8 gigs of DDR3 ram.    
The game's ran perfectly outside of this branch (Other than having 3D models set to all, which bewilders how the animations will work if the game can't handle all 3D models on many rigs, but that's besides the point) 
These vehicles look cool, they really do! But not being able to run the game properly sort of defeats the point of adding in cool stuff :/ 

4 hours ago, LeetgamerBoi said:

These vehicles look cool, they really do! But not being able to run the game properly sort of defeats the point of adding in cool stuff :/ 

True, I hope the Devs can figure something out or are working on something. Will love to see what changes the new Vehicle Build will add with the tiles not loading anymore so that it doesn't lag as much. I noticed that large hordes are not as bad as rendering is. Especially in the town or where many objects are placed, it seems that vehicles are a buzz on that point. 

Just had a very weird bug while driving a car.

I was in Westpoint and decided to drive out the mall, so I followed the map, drove over the river, through the country roads, and got close to the mall, when - all of a sudden, while driving at medium speed - the screen went black. The screen then came back, but in a difference place, and with my car on top of (or inside) another car (in (I think) the mall car park). I couldn't get out of the car, and there were loads of zombies attracted to the noise and walking towards me. When I stopped the engine it would restart again by itself. Even stranger, all the zombies then seemed to occupy the same space on the floor. They went from a huge crowd, to just a few zeds. And then a massive crowd of zombies came after that, and repeated the same thing. Even more bizarre: when I then tried to turn the engine off, all the zeds stood on the same spot suddenly expanded out in a huge wave!

I'm still sat here watching this, stuck in my car. It's like watching Jeff Minter's Psychedlia, but with zombies.

I think that game is dead. Oh well, at least that was different! :-) 

20171111191051_1.jpg

20171111191214_1.jpg

Just because a zombie would be able to faintly hear a car doesn't mean they should know where it is exactly. It shouldn't be some hard value like it is, rather, the closer a zombie is, the higher chance it'll be willing to investigate the general direction of the sound, and the more accurate the location it goes to is.    
Do this with gunshots too, as a zombie a block away shouldn't know the exact room where a shotgun is fired.      

23 minutes ago, LeetgamerBoi said:

Just because a zombie would be able to faintly hear a car doesn't mean they should know where it is exactly. It shouldn't be some hard value like it is, rather, the closer a zombie is, the higher chance it'll be willing to investigate the general direction of the sound, and the more accurate the location it goes to is.    
Do this with gunshots too, as a zombie a block away shouldn't know the exact room where a shotgun is fired.      

They already do this.  You can see it in debug mode or when driving, instead of sitting in one place.

And honestly? It'd look the same anyway. Only so much of the world can conceivably exist in real-time. It's not a big place.

40 minutes ago, Mallo said:

Just had a very weird bug while driving a car.

I was in Westpoint and decided to drive out the mall, so I followed the map, drove over the river, through the country roads, and got close to the mall, when - all of a sudden, while driving at medium speed - the screen went black. The screen then came back, but in a difference place, and with my car on top of (or inside) another car (in (I think) the mall car park). I couldn't get out of the car, and there were loads of zombies attracted to the noise and walking towards me.

20171111191051_1.jpg

20171111191214_1.jpg

You and I sir have the exact same problem. It spawned me in a car park on top of a car also (see my last posts, I posted pictures of that). I'd suggest not touching the settings while on a new save.

Edited by Legoland99

5 minutes ago, Legoland99 said:

You and I sir have the exact same problem. It spawned me in a car park on top of a car also (see my last posts, I posted pictures of that). I'd suggest not touching the settings while on a new save.

I don't think I've touched my settings since I set up in this current game. I'm CONVINCED this is VOODOO AT WORK! ;-)

Just uploaded a video of it: