RELEASED: Vehicle Test 41

RobertJohnson

17 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

Ye, being able to put the key without it was a bug i just fixed :D

Basically: click the key icon to put the key in ignition (icon turn green), click again to remove it.

We're currently thinking of finding a better way to do it, we're open to suggestion! :)

Why not just have an actual slot for the key on the dashboard, when you click it the key appears (Inserts) it would also give a quick visualization if a car has a key or not and is fairly obvious to new players.

Here is a very quick Photoshop i did using Shinjitsu's Screenshot, you get the idea.

Perhaps you could have the graphic change when a car has been hot wired/broken ignition etc

image.thumb.jpeg.333bec57fdc00f1ccf002dc6b3a2819e.jpeg

Edited by Neutz

13 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Anti-lock brakes, or "anti skid" have been in cars since the 80s and were definitely commonplace by the 90s. I'm sure any quick google search could further corroborate this. One of the first cars I ever rode in was a mid-80s Volvo wagon that had ABS, and good stopping power at that despite being a back-heavy vehicle.

Sure, it existed back then, but how many average cars had it in rural KY in the early 90's. I know that ABS was far from common here in Europe at that point in time.

Quick google search didn't give me any numbers though.

It sounds like what the people here could make some use out of a cruise-control feature, where you can let off the gas and the car will remain at the same speed. This has worked in a few other driving games as a toggle option. 

I think that allowing the cars to also still use the realistic approach of rolling for a while has some mechanical application as the car isn't going to be as loud when it's coasting by. When I used to be into bikes people would commonly let off the throttle to avoid blasting kids on the sidewalk with sounds. The same effect would apply to cars.

While a cruise-feature is a nice idea, it does not address my request (or concern) at all.

Brakes are useless at the moment. Even more the different types. Releasing the throttle stops the car as fast as (or even faster than - idk) braking.

It's ok, it's easy driving but it destroys the purpose of the whole mechanics complexity in that regard, imo.

Also I think it would be more fun for me to handle some difficulty and feel the reward for good driving. Plus it is simply less realistic the way it is now.

Coasting with reduced noise is another argument pro realism.

I know it would be more difficult coding-wise, but maybe two different modes of driving physics would settle these contrary complaints. It would increase realism for those that don't want an easy driving mode. Something like the gun reloading option, which I am very thankful for and always set to realistic (or what it's called).

2 hours ago, Neutz said:

Perhaps you could have the graphic change when a car has been hot wired/broken ignition etc

image.thumb.jpeg.333bec57fdc00f1ccf002dc6b3a2819e.jpeg

Am I the only one who now wants a minigame where you actually have to pull wires out from under the dashboard and connect them in order actually hotwire the car?

The lower your skill, the more unnecessary wires you'd pull from under the dash, and the greater your chance of doing something stupid like shorting out the car's electrical system and permanently disabling your ride (or at least giving yourself a nasty shock).

Plus the idea of somebody desperately trying to fiddle with twenty-odd wires as a horde of zombies surrounds their car is just amusing.

Alternately, somebody with higher skills would only pull out the wires they needed to start the car. They'd likely be faster at stripping and connecting them too.

Edited by Octopus
italics

6 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Am I the only one who now wants a minigame where you actually have to pull wires out from under the dashboard and connect them in order actually hotwire the car?

The lower your skill, the more unnecessary wires you'd pull from under the dash, and the greater your chance of doing something stupid like shorting out the car's electrical system and permanently disabling your ride (or at least giving yourself a nasty shock).

Plus the idea of somebody desperately trying to fiddle with twenty-odd wires as a horde of zombies surrounds their car is just amusing.

Alternately, somebody with higher skills would only pull out the wires they needed to start the car. They'd likely be faster at stripping and connecting them too.

Personally, I think this goes way overboard. Especially when considering how bare bone all the other professions are. 
Imho cars are way too overloaded with gimmicks already. I mean you have what, like 90+ different car parts already that need to be repaired and maintained?
This needs to be tuned down in order to keep it accessable. 

18 minutes ago, Watermel0wned said:

Personally, I think this goes way overboard. Especially when considering how bare bone all the other professions are. 
Imho cars are way too overloaded with gimmicks already. I mean you have what, like 90+ different car parts already that need to be repaired and maintained?

To be fair, you don't have to maintain all of the parts. Things like doors, windows, etc aren't necessary for the vehicle to function.

I personally like the depth of the vehicle system, but I do agree that adding a hot-wire mini-game would be too much, and doesn't seem to fit in with the other game mechanics (this might be what you mean by the other professions being bare-boned...)

I like the direction vehicles are going (pun intended) - so much so, that I can't play the non-vehicle branch any more!

Shin

1 minute ago, Watermel0wned said:

I disagree with tuning vehicles down to make them more accessible. Nobody's forcing you to fiddle with parts in-game. If you want to drive a car in-game, just find one with the keys in it and go. When the car breaks down, just find another one. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

That said, being able to upgrade and maintain our favorite rides is a great feature for those of us who want to put the effort in. In the same way that building up our carpentry and metalworking skills and using them to upgrade our bases is rewarding for those of us who put the effort into those skills. After all, there's nothing stopping the casual player from just slapping some boards over a window and calling it a day.

In the end however, Project Zomboid is a game that caters to those who are willing to learn its complexities. And while I certainly can't speak for everybody, I'd be willing to guess that most of its players prefer it that way. It's what attracted a good number of us to this game in the first place, and if you take away that complexity, you take away a lot of what makes PZ special. There are a ton of casual zombie games on the market, but there's only one Project Zomboid.

Not a fan of mini-games. I prefer it to be extrapolated based on the character's skill, rather than the player. Though just visually representing the key and its position in the ignition would certainly be more direct than the current system.

40 minutes ago, Watermel0wned said:

So long as other systems are brought up to a similar complexity, I'll be quite happy.  It's not like you're dealing with 90 parts all at once (or 842 items that exist in the game prior to vehicles). The UI for dealing with those parts is as simple and clear as anything else.

Thing is, from the top of my head i cant remember if you could combine parts of different "types" within one car. If so, it is ok'ish. If not then I think its simply way too much item management involved. Something that I find to be very, very tedious with the current form of item management and box shuffling we have to go through already (I am looking at you, cooking). In my book that is not an appealing form of complexity, but simply poor game design (actually: interface design/UX design) that forces the players to click through menu after menu after menu. I think this is actually what I meant in my initial post concerning accessibilty.

I mean, for the other professions I would wish they only had like half the meat to them as the mechanic trait already has. Trapping, Foraging and Farming feel outright dull in comparison.
In this regard I agree with Enigma and really hope for much needed improvements in the near future. 

17 minutes ago, Watermel0wned said:

Something that I find to be very, very tedious with the current form of item management and box shuffling we have to go through already (I am looking at you, cooking). In my book that is not an appealing form of complexity, but simply poor game design (actually: interface design/UX design) that forces the players to click through menu after menu after menu. I think this is actually what I meant in my initial post concerning accessibilty.

Not to sound overly critical towards the developers, but I have to agree with you. I hadn't really thought about the issue of food prep until you pointed it out; I've just gotten used to it. The cooking depth is great - but the process to actually cook something is pretty tedious. Honestly, if you want to make a stew, you should be given a checkbox (like the foraging menu) or have to build/use a prep table where all the ingredients are laying out on it. There'd be nuances with this, obviously, because you can add items repeatedly and that impacts the final quality.

As to vehicles, I think they kind of hit the sweet spot, but I've only tested it by replacing a window so far. :D I need to work with it more to get a better feel for it. If I try to replace the brakes/shocks, and I have to right click to pull off every part that is in front of the brakes, that's... not lovely. If I can simply click on the one thing I want to work on, and the system is smart enough to take everything else off for me, that would be a much better approach.

Edit - 

I just took a look at trying to uninstall the suspension - I have to manually uninstall the other parts first. :(

Shin

Edited by Shinjitsu noDeshi

Anyone was having issue with disappearing car keys from inventory? I found car key and I had it, but then I don't have it any longer. And I'm pretty sure didn't put in any container. Pretty odd.

The one thing - so many parked cars near some places (like a bar), but there no single car key can be found. Do the zombies have these keys? I'm wondering, because I use mod Zombie Loot Extended and it might affect the loot.

Build Vehicle 27:

[New]

• General performance improvement.
  • General net code improvement.
  • Whenever a vehicle key is required gain access to a part that needs to be installed/uninstalled - the game now checks to see if doors/windows are opened to facilitate this.
  • Car keys now show the relevant car model's name. (In future they will also be coloured the same as the car they open.)
  • Player will now walk to the part of the car to perform Mechanic actions - installing parts, adding fuel, inflating tires etc.

[Balance]

• Car keys should now spawn more inside nearby houses, rather than on zombies.
  • Updated dashboard tooltips.

[Bug Fix]

• Fixed uninstalling some parts not requiring car keys.
  • Fixed being able to duplicate car keys by putting them in your key ring.
  • User-input car key's name now saved: meaning you can change your key's name and the new custom name won't be lost.
  • Fixed the installation of some parts not using the mechanic skill in calculations (MP and SP).
  • Fixed car heater not working.
  • Fixed game's speed not being reset to 1 when driving a vehicle.
  • Fixed some parts not being updated if the car wasn't running (engine, heater, etc)
  • Fixed being able to put keys in ignition when you didn't have the keys.
  • [MP] Fixed missing sync of itemID when uninstalling/installing part (unlimited mechanic EXP possible exploit in MP).
  • [MP] Fixed missing sync of item container levels (e.g. removing a tire previolsy reset its inflation to 0).
  • [MP] Fixed heater not being synced.
  • [MP] Fixed engine temperature not being synced.

Yay key names! No more going through 20x keys to find the right one :D

Ran a couple of solo games to test performance changes, performance is now a lot worse for me somehow, getting almost no fps driving through the center of town + game crashed after about a minute of lagging forwards slowly :( Far more slow-downs each second + considerably lower fps now compared to last build.

edit: Gonna test downloading a new java version, maybe that helps?

edit2: nope :(

edit3: also the game crashes every time you click "Exit"

Edited by iwawa

Doesn't save here: every time I quit, it crashes.

Just to know, am I the only one?

Also, played a few minutes and looks like there's more stuttering compared to the previous build.

Edit:

Windows 10 64bit

Happened both on saved and new game

in the saved one, for example, it crashed the first two times when I went to sleep, third time worked.

Edited by Marco1
corrections

11 minutes ago, Litio said:

Hi all, it is possible to now  if the linux crash ( screen goes black when driving) is fix in this build? Thanks

I ran a quick test and it is still there for me.

I played for like 15 minutes, but I also have the feeling that in linux this build is more laggy than the previous one.

I'll have more time to perform a few tests tomorrow though.

I noticed that every time I get a lag spike, the line "COMMAND QUEUE stallCount = 1 peakUsage = 35856" shows up in the console out of game. Sometimes it says stallCount = 0, other times 1. peakUsage varies from 20000-40000. Ran around a bit and counted the amount of spikes, pretty much the same number as the amount of new stallcount messages in console since i started counting. No idea what that string means or is related to though.

I played a converted save for about 15 minutes before it locked up on me when I tried to sleep.

Killed the process and restarted, and I was able to sleep ok the second time around.

I agree with the other posts that it seems to be worse performing than before. I'm getting micro stutters, where the game pauses for half a second or so; it seems to do this at random intervals. I can also confirm that the game locks up when you click on "Quit." This is a Win 7 platform.

I do see a lot of stallCount lines in the console, probably moreso than the previous build, but they don't seem to coincide with the stuttering I'm running into.

Shin

2 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:
  • Whenever a vehicle key is required gain access to a part that needs to be installed/uninstalled - the game now checks to see if doors/windows are opened to facilitate this.
  • Car keys now show the relevant car model's name. (In future they will also be coloured the same as the car they open.)
  • Player will now walk to the part of the car to perform Mechanic actions - installing parts, adding fuel, inflating tires etc.

This. Is. Awesome! Particularly the second item.

I'll check tonight to see how Macs are holding up!

6 hours ago, Leoquent said:

Sure, it existed back then, but how many average cars had it in rural KY in the early 90's. I know that ABS was far from common here in Europe at that point in time.

Quick google search didn't give me any numbers though.

While a cruise-feature is a nice idea, it does not address my request (or concern) at all.

I apologize, the cruise control suggestion wasn't directed at your post and I made it seem like it did.

ABS was already a standard for a lot of vehicles by the mid-80s. My thing is, with the cars we have to choose from right now, there is only a few that take design cues from earlier than this period and may not have it. If you are going to differentiate ABS and non ABS on cars, it might be better to wait and see if older cars are going to make a presence. As it stands right now, the heavy majority of cars in PZ would have anti-skid systems to some degree.

It might be worth noting for the sake of clarity that it is "anti-lock braking system", not "automatic braking system" as some people tend to infer that this means "modern computer tech" when it does not. The technology for this isn't dependent entirely dependent on modern day electronics in order to exist and vehicles from the 1980s, let alone 90s, have these systems. Europe would have had plenty of experience with ABS by this point in time due to a lot of pioneering of ABS occurring there.

Anyways, it's semantics. Relevant point here is that removing ABS from the braking concepts currently being employed in Project Zomboid is pretty choosy at the moment. 

I must agree that the slowdown of letting off the gas is far too strong to the point of removing "coasting" entirely from the current build.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

After 20-30 min of converting world. Optimilizations in city is performance is now a lot worse for too. On Windows 10. 

Even whith horde like this big optimalization was better.

Are the rest of models are going to be realesed ? Like fire truck ?

Truck_Fire-768x471.png

horde.png

Edited by Thegeorgegman