RELEASED: Vehicle Test 41

RobertJohnson

2 minutes ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

Apparently crawlers can attack through (closed) vehicle doors.

Shin

I've been trying to reproduce this for a while with no success...

Any more details? What happened? What vehicle was it? What game difficulty settings? ( I can go on :) )

36 minutes ago, Pandorea said:

I've been trying to reproduce this for a while with no success...

Any more details? What happened? What vehicle was it? What game difficulty settings? ( I can go on :) )

Here's what I was doing on this last build and the new one:

Custom sandbox, zombie count insane, distribution urban focused.

1) Grab a Franklin Valuline or Chevalier Step Van

2) Drive up alongside a building, so the driver side door is flush against the wall.

3) Honk your horn to draw all the zombies in the neighborhood to your vehicle (should be about 1500+/)

4) Realize that horn ranges are broken, so restart on a new map setup with vehicle sounds cranked up to 10 or 20. Repeat 2 & 3.

5) When a large horde of zombies is behind or in front of the vehicle, slowly drive towards them, trying to knock them down under the vehicle.

6) Realize that this is very difficult because vehicles really only push zombies and don't knock them down. Wait for more zombies to come and sandwich those closest to the vehicle, so you can knock them down.

7) If lucky, you should be able to run over the zombies with the wheels, since the car base doesn't injure them.

8) Make sure you have your seatbelt on, and have grabbed hold of your "OhJESUS handles", because once you start getting the zombies under your wheels, the vehicle will bounce and buck like a mexican lowrider in a dance-off competition. Chances are high that you will be thrown from the vehicle, or you will tip the vehicle on it's side.

Hope this helps! - (and maybe if you get a chance, you can look into 4, 6, and 8 while you are at it? :D )

Shin

Edited by Shinjitsu noDeshi

SP :

• From some vehicule SP release, I got bigs lags on firsts minutes on each new game. I don't know if a preload can be possible, could be annoying and distrubing for new players.
  • If swing in the air with axe or other, then zombie heard me, but i don't make any noise or other, even a transfert is mor e louder.
  • Mechanic "waiting diagnostic" should be done only when don't done before. Such as a 1 minute instant acces allow or such bypass. because if I watch my back to kill one zombie, (so 10 sec...) when i turn me to reopen window have to check again ! So If 1 zombie arrive each 20sec, you can't do anything on a car.
  • Car hurted seems to be moved too much as if all car are a 3 doors little car. worth with wrecks and no wheels (or missing wheels) cars.
  • trees can grow under cars. they should regress
  • still can knockback zombies under car (as they fall crossing wall) there isn't a way to force angle when close to a colision box ? may an other "will be obsolete with anims"
  • I didn't see it before : fill a blow torch with propane tank take half of tank ! (for a weight of 20 ?!?) blow torch weight is 0.3... so i stock blow torch and propane tank is "usefull" only for barbecue.
    Emptying more than 1/20 of tank give tank useless for torch (and really rare propane by tank).

MP :

• Car are always more slow (for my low/med PC spec) in MP than SP except if i zoom in at 50%. (but unplayable). So actually i play with zoom to manage car speed. 
  • A key disappear problem with actual save disconnected player who really annoying me : If i drive a car, when I leave it but disconnected just after, then I lost key car. (because wasn't in my inventory at the moment of the saved used to reload (driving car), but in the map, it isn't on vehicule (leaved car) !
    I Had some disconnecting by my ISP. Then I'm a little affraid to leave a car and take keys , watching my internet Box, praying to not be disconnected at this moment !
    I finally post for that , because on last spiffo i lost 3 keys (6seat van, COP; and useless car) due to that, and on server it is not really easy to find keys !
    Key could be "shadowly declared in driver inventory when in ignition" ?!? easy solution, who invert problem : double keys if disconnected when dirving, then add : remove key from driver inventory If key are in ignition at reconnection.
  • I dare try open, close and remove my old buggy lockable gate (but don't try to lock it). even if I can place an other one on it, everything graphically bug fine (partially open) without crashing server. Then I can remove it. But seems some locking features are disabled ?!? :
  • I try the locking system of doors : following "1 kind of keyS (un)Lock 1 kind of doorS but no more" bug.
    then now, in 41 :
    • "1 kind of doors" can be locked and unlocked without any key.
    • gate aren't lockable anymore ( Was able to lock it because last point ! not because have got the key, so I wasn't supposed to be allow to lock it, then false bug resolution ?)
    • No lockable door enlighting by working key (but no need of key, so don't know is too related to point 2 line upper)
  • Forage : From 2 release I didn't succed to find anything but Materials even leveling 8, there is any major changes I miss ?
    that's my 4st character who I up at forage lvl 8. and I find only materials, I try differents zone, differents times, now tested at differents season, But lvl 7/8 forage still give me only materials (even reading herbalist).
    Somenody succeed to find other stuff ? I miss a constraint ?
  • I hear players (who i suppose to be close to me before) claping doors and hoods even if they go (very) far away.

Mainly good stability on MP, even on medium aggro with other players. Just try a little bit the siren aggro but not in real case because actually the "waiting diagnostic" (exposed in first line of this post) cause real interaction problem when zombie around and coming one by one by intervalle, making impossible to put or pick a simple batterie!
    I come back on the hourglass idea, pleaze.

Aside :

Congratulations for the today IWSMB merge !

Edited by arkahys

Any anims news about how close we are to using them in a test branch? If not then that's all good. Just curious to see how close vehicles are done at this  point.

EDIT: Never mind. I just read the newest and latest great Thursdoid page! Nice, closer and closer to it. Um, also on a side note, did anyone notice the issue I am still having with something wrong on Sandbox? It's the constant lag hiccups that happen every 2 seconds after 5 minutes of starting a custom survival setting. (More details on my comment from like 2 days ago.)

Edited by Capt.Motty

41 minutes ago, junglistjim said:

hmm so am in vehicals test beta - had massive update then it says version is now 38.3

has the vehicals beta branch gone missing from steam?

For the update On steam problem :

The vehicule TEST beta has been merged with IWBMS today !
So go to proprieties of the game > beta tab >
Then select IWillBackupMySaves , (actual 41.2 version)

Edited by arkahys

Vehicles are amazing. I have just two things that I noticed that bug me a little bit, though.

1. Perhaps moodlets like being drunk or overly tired could severely impair your ability to drive. I drank a full bottle of whiskey and got into a vehicle (for science), and it has absolutely no effect.

2. The physics of the cars are pretty great, feels similar to driving in GTA. The only thing that is missing is a handbrake (SPACEBAR), so I can drift around corners, because it gets pretty hard to steer when going at top speeds.

Great work, otherwise!

8 minutes ago, arkahys said:

For the update On steam problem :

The vehicule TEST beta has been merged with IWBMS today !
So go to proprieties of the game > beta tab >
Then select IWBMS , (actual 41.2 version)

yeah just seen mondiod - i did check there first honest

thanks

25 minutes ago, Capt.Motty said:

Any anims news about how close we are to using them in a test branch? If not then that's all good. Just curious to see how close vehicles are done at this  point.

EDIT: Never mind. I just read the newest and latest great Thursdoid page! Nice, closer and closer to it. Um, also on a side note, did anyone notice the issue I am still having with something wrong on Sandbox? It's the constant lag hiccups that happen every 2 seconds after 5 minutes of starting a custom survival setting. (More details on my comment from like 2 days ago.)

The only suggestion I have for you is to try different sandbox settings in order to see if you can narrow down what is causing the problem. My first inclination would be there are too many zombies trying to spawn in at the same time...

Shin

Edited by Shinjitsu noDeshi

2 minutes ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

The only suggestion I have for you is to try different sandbox settings in order to see if you can narrow down what is causing the problem. My first inclination would be there are too many zombies trying to spawn in at the same time...

Shin

Alright, will try when I get home.

2 hours ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

Here's what I was doing on this last build and the new one:

Custom sandbox, zombie count insane, distribution urban focused.

1) Grab a Franklin Valuline or Chevalier Step Van

2) Drive up alongside a building, so the driver side door is flush against the wall.

3) Honk your horn to draw all the zombies in the neighborhood to your vehicle (should be about 1500+/)

4) Realize that horn ranges are broken, so restart on a new map setup with vehicle sounds cranked up to 10 or 20. Repeat 2 & 3.

5) When a large horde of zombies is behind or in front of the vehicle, slowly drive towards them, trying to knock them down under the vehicle.

6) Realize that this is very difficult because vehicles really only push zombies and don't knock them down. Wait for more zombies to come and sandwich those closest to the vehicle, so you can knock them down.

7) If lucky, you should be able to run over the zombies with the wheels, since the car base doesn't injure them.

8) Make sure you have your seatbelt on, and have grabbed hold of your "OhJESUS handles", because once you start getting the zombies under your wheels, the vehicle will bounce and buck like a mexican lowrider in a dance-off competition. Chances are high that you will be thrown from the vehicle, or you will tip the vehicle on it's side.

Hope this helps! - (and maybe if you get a chance, you can look into 4, 6, and 8 while you are at it? :D )

Shin

Nearly 3 hours later... Yes, they can bite you from inside a car! 

4) Scenario and Difficulty levels affect Z response range. The easier settings = the less responsive zombies. Initial infection requires character to be 4-5 tiles away from zombies for them to respond. Survival mode was summoning them from far, far away. 

6) In this situation you're driving through a horde. Very slowly. Less kinetic energy = less power to knock anything down, right(?) 

8) One word for ya': Teamwork. Zombies have it, too ;) Plus, they're very motivated to get to the delicious meal inside the metal box. 

2 minutes ago, Pandorea said:

Nearly 3 hours later... Yes, they can bite you from inside a car! 

4) Scenario and Difficulty levels affect Z response range. The easier settings = the less responsive zombies. Initial infection requires character to be 4-5 tiles away from zombies for them to respond. Survival mode was summoning them from far, far away. 

6) In this situation you're driving through a horde. Very slowly. Less kinetic energy = less power to knock anything down, right(?) 

8) One word for ya': Teamwork. Zombies have it, too ;) Plus, they're very motivated to get to the delicious meal inside the metal box. 

I appreciate you checking these out!

4) I'll double check my sandbox settings; most likely they got messed up at some point.

6) I agree with this sentiment; I just think it's tuned a bit too low. I don't know the numbers, but my gut would say a car traveling at 10mph would knock down a normal person, so it should definitely bowl over a corpse that really can't control itself. Currently, even at higher speeds, they almost always just pinwheel backwards (like a failed push)

8) Just to clarify - the vehicles don't rock and then roll over. They BOUNCE, like wheels coming off the ground to stomach height bounce. Literally, like a low rider does; and it only happens when the wheels go over the zombies.  Again, I think this just needs a bit of tuning; a bunch of meatsacks shouldn't make a 3000lb vehicle jump up and down, especially if the vehicle is moving slowly.

Shin

On 05/04/2018 at 6:20 PM, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

I appreciate you checking these out!

4) I'll double check my sandbox settings; most likely they got messed up at some point.

6) I agree with this sentiment; I just think it's tuned a bit too low. I don't know the numbers, but my gut would say a car traveling at 10mph would knock down a normal person, so it should definitely bowl over a corpse that really can't control itself. Currently, even at higher speeds, they almost always just pinwheel backwards (like a failed push)

8) Just to clarify - the vehicles don't rock and then roll over. They BOUNCE, like wheels coming off the ground to stomach height bounce. Literally, like a low rider does; and it only happens when the wheels go over the zombies.  Again, I think this just needs a bit of tuning; a bunch of meatsacks shouldn't make a 3000lb vehicle jump up and down, especially if the vehicle is moving slowly.

Shin

The rubbery undead is a topic of discussion, but not a huge priority atm, within the team. I kind of like it: it adds to tension in the game ("OhMG, it's still moves and now follows me!") and stops player just running zeds over for "fun"(stopping cruelty towards the undead!); but I understand why others would like it be different. 

The bouncy cars defying laws of physics are a known issue with a potential fix in the works. 

In the mean time - stay safe while driving ;)

8 hours ago, Snakeman said:

Maybe a definition issue? In 38.30 works good, not in this update ...  This tile only renders on the floor tile, if a wall or object or player stay back to this object, well, you can see.

Snakeman, where is this? Location, location :) 

8 hours ago, Pandorea said:

Snakeman, where is this? Location, location :) 

My custom map, but i found the problem:
Problematic Tiles: industry_01_48 & industry_01_49 (TileProperties issue)
i use now
industry_01_56 & industry_01_57 = duplicated tiles(same a problematic tiles) with others properties and that working good.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Use torch / Mask - the option to "Dismantle car wreck" 

Regarding the need for a skill level or magazines - not needed (iirc). You should be able to RMC a car wreck > Dismantle.

On 7/8/2018 at 1:04 AM, Zeantra said:

sorry if this has already been answered, but is there any way to remove burnt out cars?

Edited by Massi