RELEASED: Vehicle Test 41

RobertJohnson

36 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Can confirm that removing tires removes the air pressure from them.

Also, I think mechanical XP should be given for installing and removing parts (under the assumption that this will take a lot longer in implementation).

Taking apart a car and rebuilding it is a great way to learn how it works, on top of reading books.

Also, XP boost books for mechanical knowledge. There is a ton of great literature for learning about this kind of thing.

All this are planned, mechanic isn't really in yet :)

I'll check this tire pressure bug, you can re-inflate it now anyway :)

quitting a game and loading back in is causing cars to respawn at valid spawn points and vanish on the open road/wilderness.  it also caused my tv to turn on, my front door to lock itself, and a fridge i had set down by the side of the road to vanish. does not appear to be effecting inventory/container contents.

also mailboxes suddenly have 50 capacity and spawn carpentry items (like nails and such)

Edited by Zeantra

Been playing around with this new build (23) and I gotta say its working sooo much smoother than awhile back. I couldn't even drive a car let alone even walk to one my lag/stuttering was so bad, I'm getting some slow downs here and there but nothing unplayable, I'm very happy :D .

Now I do have some bugs to note down. My characters currently held up in the riverside country club (PS great job on the place Mash! I love it) but I noticed that the cars in lots and other areas where cars spawn keep respawning every time I quit the game and continue a bit later. I had a taxi I used to drive to the country club dissapear because I parked it in the parking lot. 

Another thing I'm finding very unrealistic is that I had tossed a full backpack into the bed of my truck just to have it fall out repeatedly every 50 feet or so on a straight away. The trunk is in 100%. I can understand the backpack sliding around a lot in the bed but not just flying out. I drive my grandfathers truck IRl and we keep a toolbox and an empty gas can back there and yeah they slide around but theyve never fallen out ever.  I can understand if the truck bed's door was left open or removed that stuff would fall out just from accelerating lol but in game its kinda making me not even want to use trunks. Even the taxi trunk I used had stuff fall out of it when the trunk was at 80% which was weird. I can understand hitting a bump and having stuff fallout if the trunk was smashed in from another car, or the trunk was left open. I just think the trunks system needs a good adjustment is all ;p .

One other thing about trunks is I think on the hatchbacks, SUV and the UPS styled box vans should have a bigger storage space. Especially the big box vans should have more than the truck does, but at the cost of gas mileage the more you fill it to capacity. And if someone were to ram into the back of it those two doors would be flopping around everywhere having your cargo spill out.

I also noticed on the 2 seater compact car you can only get into the passenger seat and cannot switch into the drivers seat nor go through the drivers side door.

The last thing I noticed was that after quoting and the continuing aside from cars respawning some of the food items i put in my freezer and fridge dissapeared and respawned other items.

That's all from me for now, keep up the great work guys and I'm looking forward to the next update :)

Edit:

I totally forgot thus bug, but the cars sound effects for the past builds I've tested since like 15, the sounds are all glitchy and totally bugged out, its hard to discribe but its like they only play a short 1 second clip of sound and it repeats that same 1 second over and over till it hits a different 1 second clip. Its really messed up on my end lol. But other than that the cars are driving fine for me aside from the trunk issues.

Edited by Man_In_The_Purple_Hat

Pickup truck is pretty useless for moving stuff since it's always falling out of it all of the time.

I drive 2 pickup trucks, as long as the tailgate is there I can put a container in the box and not have to worry about it flying out.

Should only happen to damaged tailgates.

The step van, regular van and station wagon shouldn't use trunk compartments as they don't in real life. All that space behind the seats is air, they also both sport doors/hatches to prevent things from falling out. There is no "compartment" you can install in these things as there is nothing back there getting in the way... just empty space.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Gonna check this pickup thingy, maybe my code didn't worked and it use like the turnk is at 0% condition... Bah.

@Kim Jong Un you mean there's no trunk item in those cars or there shouldn't be a trunk item? (so not possible to uninstall)

When i was doing the trunk install/uninstall, i'm more talking about like the trunk door to remove + some stuff in there. Pickup don't have this, but i don't want to remove i on step van etc. It allows more customization for everyone.

ctd in riverside when running across street from the N. house to the S. house, at approximately this coordinate: 5781x5299

and now ctd trying to drive into that whole upper corner of riverside

Edited by Zeantra

Ok I am completely unable to use Vehicles since Vehicle Build 21.

Every time I crash into something I get this error that then repeats ad infinitum until the games is force closed, the save where it happens tends to be unloadable afterwards. [Video of the error is somewhere back on page 1]

No mods, revalidated game files, on steam, off steam, no idea wth this is.

Specs:
Intel Pentium G2030 2x3Ghz
Intel HD 3000 Graphics
4GB DDR3 Ram
Windows 7

Spoiler

1508005705875 hitCharacter velocity=( 2.903E-4  0.000E+0  2.731E-1) speed=0.27312148 dot=-0.96609175 clientForce=0.0
1508005706962 hitCharacter velocity=(-4.826E-1  0.000E+0  1.986E+0) speed=2.0434775 dot=-0.93752205 clientForce=0.0
1508005708071 hitCharacter velocity=( 2.520E+0  0.000E+0  6.685E-1) speed=2.6071417 dot=0.9624327 clientForce=0.0
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.getChunkFromSquarePos(PolygonalMap2.java:3670)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.getSquare(PolygonalMap2.java:3674)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.access$2(PolygonalMap2.java:3673)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2$VisibilityGraph.addPerimeterEdges(PolygonalMap2.java:1735)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.createVisibilityGraph(PolygonalMap2.java:2131)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.createVisibilityGraphs(PolygonalMap2.java:2141)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2.updateThread(PolygonalMap2.java:3838)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2$PMThread.runInner(PolygonalMap2.java:3925)
    at zombie.vehicles.PolygonalMap2$PMThread.run(PolygonalMap2.java:3914)

5 hours ago, RobertJohnson said:

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Gonna check this pickup thingy, maybe my code didn't worked and it use like the turnk is at 0% condition... Bah.

@Kim Jong Un you mean there's no trunk item in those cars or there shouldn't be a trunk item? (so not possible to uninstall)

When i was doing the trunk install/uninstall, i'm more talking about like the trunk door to remove + some stuff in there. Pickup don't have this, but i don't want to remove i on step van etc. It allows more customization for everyone.

There shouldn't be a trunk item for those specific vehicles. The amount of space within the rear of the vehicles doesn't change. It also means that found step vans have a capacity of 70, which is the same as other heavy duty vehicles, when in reality there is much more space back there.

For example, a station wagon shouldn't have an item tied to the trunk at all, the hatch is still going to open the same way and there is nothing there. Having it be an item means that it somehow has the same capacity as a standard sedan despite having over double the rear space.

For those specific vehicles (station wagons, vans, step vans), it is unrealistic to have a trunk compartment item for them as those ones don't have one - just the rear end of the vehicle and the interior. There's no realistic logic being followed for it to work like that for those vehicles. A few people have already suggested this in response to the trunk changes, because a station wagon using the same trunk as it's sedan counterpart is more of an oversight than it is customization.

It's actually taking the individuality away from the vehicles as without it the step van is just a slow van with no advantages storage wise, same goes for the regular van and station wagon.

80309953.jpg

If you want to do this in a logical way that makes sense and give these vehicles the individuality the need, have each of these vehicles (Van, Stepvan, Station Wagon) work in the same way the pickup truck does. Have them use a static trunk that reflects their size. For example, the station wagon would have a significantly higher amount of space than the standard trunks.

Edit: The pickup van also falls victim to this unrealistic flaw as well. There's no actual trunk there to customize that would alter containment size.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

Trunks

• Vehicles should have a  realistic, fixed "cargo space" that fits their real-life counterpart.
  • Space should only be gained by removing the trunk lid or doors, assuming PZ is going to represent vertical space (fridges in trunks)
  • Space should only be lost in a rear-end collision.
  • The chance to lose items should only occur if the floor has rotted out or the cargo is not secure and a collision occurs
  • We're really just talking about "repairing" a flawed trunk (welding torch + sheet metal, sheet metal + screws, tarp, hammer, or wood)  to plug gaps or remove a dent. Past a certain point, it would not be fixable.
  • Replacing a trunk on a unibody car isn't possible.
  • The only vehicle that'd let you swap the rear would be pickup trucks, but not in the way depicted in-game (e.g. adding a camper unit or a flat-bed), since most have a ridgid frame.

Tires
What are these supposed to represent?

• Vintage: balloon, ply tire?
  • Standard/modern: radial?

Or is it supposed to be ...

• consumer
  • enthusiast / racing / performance
  • light commercial
  • heavy-duty

The first two  would only apply to cars. The third would be for small vans (including mail vans and delivery vans) and larger pickup trucks. The fourth would be for things like the firetruck or a large delivery truck.

A few nice mechanic skills would be ...

• Checking a tire's pressure with a pressure gauge
  • Removing the tire and plugging leaks
  • Removing the inner-tube (if applicable) and replacing it)
  • Removing the rim from a tire
  • Placing a tire on a rim

Batteries

I take it "heavy duty" is just marketing? I don't know why you couldn't take the 12v battery out of a light-commercial van and install it in a sedan, but for some reason you can't.

Batteries come in two flavors:

• wet cell batteries: these require the addition of electrolyte and water periodically, or they "dry out." They generate hydrogen gas while in use.
  • Sealed batteries: these require little maintenance and will only vent  hydrogen gas under extreme duress, or leak only when rushed

There's not really much you can do with them aside from ... 

• changing the battery
  • cleaning the battery terminal
  • checking the alternator output
  • checking the voltage
  • charging a battery (trickle or speed charging with a 120v appliance)
  • jump starting a battery with another vehicle
  • Moving the battery to a different location
  • Adding additional battery(s) to run accessories

Brakes

There's two kinds of brakes:

• Drum (common in all four wheels right up to the 80s)
  • DIsk (common in the front of more modern, mid 80s cars)

They can probably be swapped by changing the hub for most cars.

Light-commercial brakes and truck brakes can't be swapped to cars, I imagine.

• Check brake fluid
  • Bleed brake lines
  • Replace brake pads (or shoes)
  • Remove emergency brake (common to have them seize, needing welder to remove them)

Seats

Removing seats should increase storage capacity for that area

Fancier seats should simply give the player more comfort or protection in a collision. They could simply be called "bucket," "racing," and "captain's"

Windshield

Reinstalling windshields is probably not practical for most players, including mechanics, excepting some much older cars. 

Missing

No exhaust system? These cars are noisy.

Crappier cars should have crappy mufflers that need to be swapped. Not to mention removing the catalytic converter to increase engine performance (at the expense of back pressure in diesel vehicles).

A faulty exhaust can be deadly, as can be a poorly altered one.

Fuel injectors? Carburetors? Distributors (or electornic distributors)? Spark plugs? Oil pans? Oil changes? Radiators (the most likely thing to be broken in a collision with a zombie)? If we're going with the 70s - 90s line of cars, then having a nice mix of tech would be fun. Suspension?

Adding engine parts is good idea.

I played veh test 23, and didnt see any car whose condition is lower than 100%. 

My sugestion is: make engine removable (cuz now its dont) and add some engine parts, to repair engine, you need to disassemble it, then you get engine parts (not so much like in IRL:shock: but some basics like: engine block, pistons, cylinder head,  different gaskets, camshaft, oil pan ) all of this parts should have their own condition, and to repair an engine you should to tryhard (find or repair it, then assemble, and install back) to make yor car run;-)

Edited by myhappines

after reading enigmas post, this had me thinking that it would be cool to see mechanics being able to take out an engine and being able to open a separate UI (like the health/car mechanic menu) that would be specifically for the engine, you could change spark plugs, belts, alternator etc. I know from my own experience Ive had to change quite a few serpentine belts due to my alternator being crappy and it would chew the belts apart.

It would also be cool to see the cars mileage and maybe have to change to oil out after a few thousand miles, or there could be an old oil change sticker left in the window/glove-box for code convenience

that showed the last oil change and what the next mileage is when the next change is due.

One last thing before I get to the bug a found, I think would be good to add is to be able to commonly find a jack in the trunks of cars, every car comes with one in the trunk along with the spare doughnut tire in the back so I think it would be a nice addition to be able to find them easily in trunks along with a crappy doughnut tire  you get a blowout. Also my old 92 Camry had a first aid kit come with the car in the trunk, so maybe it would be cool to add a new smaller first aid kit you could find in trunks as well! car first aid kits were usually a rounded black square with red text saying "first aid" and would be zip up on the edges, they only had things like tweezers, bandages and topical neosporine like ointment (which id love to see more medical items added in one day ;P)

BUG REPORT:  Anyways that aside Ive ran into a new bug after playing for awhile last night. I was driving up from the country club going towards riverside and while I was driving the game just closed out completely.

So I reopened the game and continued to be left where I last was on the road but with no car (probably due to the cars re-spawning ever time we quite out to the menu/close the game. ) So I go back to the country club and drop some crap off after grabbing a new car at those warehouses in between riverside/the club and started to drive back to riverside, then I get past the section the game closed out before while driving. then once again, the game closed out. not sure what could be causing this, but I just wanted to let you all know.

44 minutes ago, Man_In_The_Purple_Hat said:

after reading enigmas post, this had me thinking that it would be cool to see mechanics being able to take out an engine and being able to open a separate UI (like the health/car mechanic menu) that would be specifically for the engine, you could change spark plugs, belts, alternator etc. I know from my own experience Ive had to change quite a few serpentine belts due to my alternator being crappy and it would chew the belts apart.

It would also be cool to see the cars mileage and maybe have to change to oil out after a few thousand miles, or there could be an old oil change sticker left in the window/glove-box for code convenience

that showed the last oil change and what the next mileage is when the next change is due.

One last thing before I get to the bug a found, I think would be good to add is to be able to commonly find a jack in the trunks of cars, every car comes with one in the trunk along with the spare doughnut tire in the back so I think it would be a nice addition to be able to find them easily in trunks along with a crappy doughnut tire  you get a blowout. Also my old 92 Camry had a first aid kit come with the car in the trunk, so maybe it would be cool to add a new smaller first aid kit you could find in trunks as well! car first aid kits were usually a rounded black square with red text saying "first aid" and would be zip up on the edges, they only had things like tweezers, bandages and topical neosporine like ointment (which id love to see more medical items added in one day ;P)

BUG REPORT:  Anyways that aside Ive ran into a new bug after playing for awhile last night. I was driving up from the country club going towards riverside and while I was driving the game just closed out completely.

So I reopened the game and continued to be left where I last was on the road but with no car (probably due to the cars re-spawning ever time we quite out to the menu/close the game. ) So I go back to the country club and drop some crap off after grabbing a new car at those warehouses in between riverside/the club and started to drive back to riverside, then I get past the section the game closed out before while driving. then once again, the game closed out. not sure what could be causing this, but I just wanted to let you all know.

This is the exact same problem i had, was it here? image.png.8f87a7785f950b776ddcabff57024897.png

1 hour ago, Man_In_The_Purple_Hat said:

was driving up from the country club going towards riverside and while I was driving the game just closed out completely.

So I reopened the game and continued to be left where I last was on the road but with no car

Same shit. Game simply closed near the riverside junkyard. When i reopened the game, i was far away from the point where i was before, and my car dissapeared.

Edited by myhappines

Engine removal: no go, it's really a hard part, require lot of extra pieces to do (don't know exactly the correct term in English :/)

Engine parts: it's coming, i don't know the term in English, but i thought about the "fan belt" ? the oil and the.. erm... thing that make the car start (we call it candle in French, not sure it's the exact word here.. :D)

The front radiator will be part of it also, i'm still working on engine temperature :)

Kim, the thing is, you know a shit ton in mechanic, so it seem easy to you, but I need to make a system that doesn't feel overwhelming, but still feels good for people who knows cars stuff :) (hence why i added lot of cusomization for parts)

Also, FYI: I've worked on mechanic skill bit more, but I don't want to implement it yet 'cause it'll make it harder for people to test mechanics ;)