Any good Riverside safehouses?

Brex

I haven't had much time or opportunity to explore Riverside in-game, but now that Blindcoder's map has been updated I've been able to get a decent look at the area. While some of the buildings and locations look interesting, one thing that bothers me is that none of them look particularly defensible. Most of them either have too many windows, too many doors, or too many open spaces surrounding them. I thought the country club might make a good base, but it's way too big to maintain, especially in single player. 

When I think of something as easily defensible, I think of one of my favorite safehouse locations, the gas station in Rosewood next to the highway. It's got a bed, a fridge, a water source, and storage space. It can be easily fortified with walls and barricades. It's at the edge of town with fewer zombies to worry about. I once lasted a whole month in that safehouse before dying, longest I've ever lasted. That, to me, is what makes an ideal safehouse. And I honestly can't see any of the locations in Riverside functioning to that same capacity.

But maybe I'm wrong, and that's why I'm asking you. Have any of you found a good location to fortify in Riverside? 

Tons of great spots to barricade in Riverside.

The fenced off community has an easily blocked perimeter, with multiple fences around each street so you can create multiple levels of barricade with less resources for zed to reach your house

http://map.projectzomboid.com/?#0.5584181406832143,0.10479763841218778,128.77004352535963

All you'd have to do is build a wall along the front of that and you're set, as long as you can keep an eye on it.

^That hotel is also a good idea for a solo base.

http://map.projectzomboid.com/?#0.5559628058324402,0.09023650773315738,320.4210747050228

If you want something with less rooms, this bar has got you covered. Knock out the big staircase or the little one, or both. Doesn't matter to me. You can set up a garden on the balcony or roof even, it's flat.

There's a few solid ideas, there's plenty of buildings there in a similar format so I'm surprised you would find none.

3 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

Out of interest, how did you find the zombie numbers in and around the Country Club?

I've been living there for a while.

The amount of zombies is probably a good amount - light, which is realistic given that it's a country club and not a haven. The risk VS reward of going there is probably at the sweet-spot as is.

The road outside sports a lot of zed, so it's acceptably challenging to get to. Given the partial perimeter around everything any more random congregations of zed beyond the ones that exist wouldn't make a ton of sense, fortifying the place is challenging enough as-is.

4 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

I've been living there for a while.

The amount of zombies is probably a good amount - light, which is realistic given that it's a country club and not a haven. The risk VS reward of going there is probably at the sweet-spot as is.

The road outside sports a lot of zed, so it's acceptably challenging to get to. Given the partial perimeter around everything any more random congregations of zed beyond the ones that exist wouldn't make a ton of sense, fortifying the place is challenging enough as-is.

The country club seems like it's just too big to use as a base. Too many windows, doors, and other weak spots. If a helicopter decides to fly overhead and bring every zombie within ten miles down on top of the club, it's going to be overrun in minutes. Probably gonna skip out on it. 

I have been eyeing the Riverside police station, though: 

https://map.projectzomboid.com/#0.5395725767191581,0.08445248217539088,306.7007993957979

It doesn't have as many windows as the Muldraugh station, it's not as centrally located as the West Point station, and it's not as big as the Rosewood station. I typically play as a cop, and this particular police station actually looks like it might be a decent place to fortify. Probably won't last forever, but hey, that's not the point of PZ. 

5 hours ago, Brex said:

The country club seems like it's just too big to use as a base. Too many windows, doors, and other weak spots. If a helicopter decides to fly overhead and bring every zombie within ten miles down on top of the club, it's going to be overrun in minutes. Probably gonna skip out on it. 

I have been eyeing the Riverside police station, though: 

Eh, not really. Compared to other buildings, the spots that actually have the windows aren't exposed at all due to the iron fence perimeter. The actual front face of the complex not protected by a perimeter only has 5 windows and 4 doors, all of which are easy enough to barricade. It could be difficult for one person, not going to argue with it there, but I highly doubt it would be overrun due to the fence perimeter and treeline. If one were to build walls, it is actually quite easy to extend the already existing perimeter to the impassable lakes, and from there, the tennis courts, and finally closing off the other two fences. It's a heck of a secure spot for not a lot of effort. The 2nd floor alone makes for a solid spot if you can knock out the staircase.

Other than that, not much weak spots. There's a way out regardless of which way you go in so it's easy to escape from in danger. 

Comparing this to a location with less space to run, I'd feel a lot more secure where I know the 18 holes aren't infestations so I pretty much always have a spot to fall back on.

It's a high maintenance place, but it's easy to fix the holes in the perimeter and doesn't have a lot of weak spots otherwise. And as for advantages... plenty of build space, comes with bedrooms, kitchens, and a parking lot for the fleet.  I play with a group on multiplayer and this base is perfect.

Given the population around the place, it's more than reasonable to skip on a single player point of view.

11 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Eh, not really. Compared to other buildings, the spots that actually have the windows aren't exposed at all due to the iron fence perimeter. The actual front face of the complex not protected by a perimeter only has 5 windows and 4 doors, all of which are easy enough to barricade. It could be difficult for one person, not going to argue with it there, but I highly doubt it would be overrun due to the fence perimeter and treeline. If one were to build walls, it is actually quite easy to extend the already existing perimeter to the impassable lakes, and from there, the tennis courts, and finally closing off the other two fences. It's a heck of a secure spot for not a lot of effort. The 2nd floor alone makes for a solid spot if you can knock out the staircase.

Other than that, not much weak spots. There's a way out regardless of which way you go in so it's easy to escape from in danger. 

Comparing this to a location with less space to run, I'd feel a lot more secure where I know the 18 holes aren't infestations so I pretty much always have a spot to fall back on.

It's a high maintenance place, but it's easy to fix the holes in the perimeter and doesn't have a lot of weak spots otherwise. And as for advantages... plenty of build space, comes with bedrooms, kitchens, and a parking lot for the fleet.  I play with a group on multiplayer and this base is perfect.

Given the population around the place, it's more than reasonable to skip on a single player point of view.

Fair points all around. Have you been to the Riverside police station?

Archived