Connecting to Server or Actual Error?

John_Holliday

Question

Hey, guys. Thought I should make an account here for this issue. Dunno if any of you can really help me at this stage until I provide the info you need, but for now, I'll tell you what's happening so far.

So, I and my friend want to play PZ together (as I'm sure most of you do). I've set up the server and everything. Hell, I even got him to start connecting. But that's the problem; it says he's connecting, but it says that for like 15 minutes with no progress (according to him at least). We never ended up playing since he had to leave early. So I want to make sure that the server is working for us both to play on next time when he's available. Is it just the fact that it takes an ass-load of time to connect or is there an underlying issue that needs to be addressed? I can provide more details with as much accuracy as possible, but I'm still a rookie when it comes to programming and server administration.

Cheers,

Holliday

PZ Server Issues.png

8 answers to this question

On 10/13/2017 at 10:22 AM, FinestHops said:

There are a few walkthrough postings on the forums here on how to set one up, but for a 2 player group, usually a hosting would be best. I am unsuire if you can run a dedicated server and the game at the same time or not... if you could though, I imagine the resource drain would be big. 

I would check yours and the others windows firewall.... maybe thats interfering with it

On 10/13/2017 at 10:22 AM, FinestHops said:

There are a few walkthrough postings on the forums here on how to set one up, but for a 2 player group, usually a hosting would be best. I am unsuire if you can run a dedicated server and the game at the same time or not... if you could though, I imagine the resource drain would be big. 

I would check yours and the others windows firewall.... maybe thats interfering with it

I'll check em out. Are they up to date? Every tutorial I've tried for PZ (for nearly anything, really) are always out of date by like 1-3 years.

14 hours ago, FinestHops said:

Maybe there is a port forwarding issue? Did you set up a "dedicated" server? 

Lol, honestly I'm not sure. I don't think I've set up a "dedicated" server, I just clicked the host button and started selecting whatever I needed for the server. Why? Is a dedicated server more preferable for a group? If so, how do you set up one?

15 hours ago, FinestHops said:

Yeh, many are. However, there are a few of us here who run larger servers and can help answer questions regarding configs as needed. 

So how do I access these tutorials on here? I looked up 'dedicated servers' (paraphrasing here) in the search bar and I got nearly nothing.

Archived