Single player in the final game

ContactMushroom

Any idea what single player will be like when the game is finished? What I mean is with vehicles, NPCs, broadcasts, and other cool features, when I start a new game will it be mostly NPCs acting crazy with a very rare zombie here and there, and we bascially get to endure the first stages of panic before it slowly becomes the game we all know and love today?

6 hours ago, xXxFANCYCAPYBARA36xXx said:

devs said something along the lines of that they dont wanna add a day 1 infection simulation 

That's kinda sad, but maybe someone will make a mod for the first day of outbreak. It would really add to the chaos if we had a day or two of crazy NPCs trying to leave town/loot supplies and we either risk getting killed by the crazy living or wait until everyone is dead to come out and make a start.

3 hours ago, ContactMushroom said:

That's kinda sad, but maybe someone will make a mod for the first day of outbreak. It would really add to the chaos if we had a day or two of crazy NPCs trying to leave town/loot supplies and we either risk getting killed by the crazy living or wait until everyone is dead to come out and make a start.

yeah youre right and to be fair we already got a ton of sandbox options so if someone figures it out you can start off with mainly npcs and a few zombies and then adjust min and peak populations maybe.

It has been many months since I played, but in sandbox you could easily set the number of zombies to very low at the beginning and have it ramp up rapidly and peak however many days later that you pick.  We don't know enough about how NPCs might work but there could be a setting to modify their population or the frequency of encounters.

My preference when I played was to set it to far fewer zombies at the start and a little later peak time. I really did not like starting a game with a really heavy zombie population from the moment I started. I also liked to use the backpack option or whatever it was called so I started with some basic stuff. It just did not make sense to me that you would wake up to a huge zombie population and be totally unprepared. If it is really day 3, 99% of people that were not already dead would at least have a few basics from their house like a hammer, small backpack, and a couple of other common items that nearly every household always contains.  The good think about the game settings is that there really is a lot of variation so you can tailor it to whatever makes sense and is most fun to you.

The reason stated for why the devs aren't looking to do a day 1 infection mode for the 1.0 version is because it would be a ton more work. Basically requiring a new A.I. structure or decision/behavior tree (as well as a lot of new dialog and story) for all the npcs in game for that short early game period. The npc code should be moddable once it's all released though, so it's not fair fetched to say it could be added later by modders or even the devs themselves as a free dlc after 1.0 at some point :)

Archived