After PZ, where will The Indie Stone go?

JustinDaniels

I love TIS.  Y'all have been some of the most responsive admins and moderators I've seen in any game out there!

I've grown curious, however, on what y'alls next big project might end up being.  Sure, there's Project Zomboid, and I freakin' LOVE it to death!  Been here since the "Kate and Baldspot Era".

However, I was wondering if y'all planned out any other games that might be similar to PZ, at some point?

Like, for example, perhaps a MEDIEVAL Survival Simulation, with graphics similar to PZ?  Maybe instead of zombies, it can be a no-fantasy world, where bandits roam the lands, as well as other players (in MP Servers).  Perhaps natural sickness can be a constant threat, even highly contagious "plagues" that, in those days, a cure was far less likely to find?  Doctors would be untrustworthy, due to the lack of cleaning procedures back then, and cutthroats would always be around every corner, waiting to either rob you at dagger point, or grab what they can pick off of your cold, dead body... all while you are limited in weaponry to swords, clubs, shields, bows, (maybe) crossbows, quarterstaves, spears, etc. etc., and lacking in our handy dandy "shotgun".  And then, with the building mechanics for PZ, I can see several players who would rather take part in building entire kingdoms for the other players to rule, or raze to the ground.  Maybe miners could be in charge of finding the minerals that kingdoms would use for their currencies?

Then, perhaps there could also be SPACE Survival Simulations?  Just imagine PZ, but instead of zombies, you're in a Space Station, trying to survive an oncoming onslaught of aliens, all while tending to your everyday needs... and NOT have to rely on BYOND's "SS13" to have that kind of experience, of course...

Well anyways, just wondering what y'alls long-term plans were, if y'all had any. :-D

Not sure they have any. PZ still has a long time to go until it's a final game and to be honest I'd love if they work on it only. But this is a side project, and I bet each of them work in different domains so this is only one of their many jobs that they take on. They are active here probably since they love making this game, otherwise they wouldn't be answering and bothering so much. :D 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Kitt Frostpaws said:

Okay, so where did you get this statistic from?

Steam greenlight with his wonderful games on unity, named like "Ultra Super Mega  ZOMBIE SURVIVAL 3D". I don't say that this is a bad engine, but optimize a 3D game is a lot of harder, that pixelated ( maybe. )

Just now, DramaSetter said:

Steam greenlight with his wonderful games on unity, named like "Ultra Super Mega  ZOMBIE SURVIVAL 3D". I don't say that this is a bad engine.

You don't have to directly say it's a bad engine to imply it, which is kind of what I'm getting from you right now. If you don't like Unity based on the assholes who abuse it, you've probably not done research on how many good games have come out from it. 

10 hours ago, DramaSetter said:

Steam greenlight with his wonderful games on unity, named like "Ultra Super Mega  ZOMBIE SURVIVAL 3D". I don't say that this is a bad engine, but optimize a 3D game is a lot of harder, that pixelated ( maybe. )

Psst...  Kerbal Space Program, 7 Days to Die, Rust, and Rimworld all run on Unity.

We have some ideas what we might do, but we avoid talking about it too much even in the team since we don't want to get distracted from PZ - but rest assured it'll be something much smaller in scope we will be doing to escape the years of Early Access stressful business. :D don't be expecting something as grandiose as Zomboid from us any time soon after we finish, we need a break and to work on something we can finish and release complete. That all said it'll be something cool and different nontheless.

PS: Unity is amazing and awesome providing the developers use it for the right sort of game and know how to leverage it. Sadly the low bar for cost and ability to enter means it has a lot of shitty games, and further the free version of Unity most amateurs would use is the one that has the big UNITY logo before loading, where the paid version pros would use you'd probably never know it IS Unity based, so the reputation its gained is massively unfair imo. They kinda shot themselves in the foot with that.

I'll defend Unity to the ends of the earth and can safely say Zomboid would have been finished had Unity been a viable choice when we started.

Over xmas last year I took some R&R time and wanted to mess with my new Vive, and in LITERALLY a couple of weeks of fiddling here and there, alone armed with the asset store, made this. DISCLAIMER: This will never be a game (for one the money just ain't in VR atm :(,hope Fallout changes this, not to mention being rather shamelessly inspired by A:I that our lovely Will wrote for, and something I did myself without any team discussion ) was just me goofing about to see what Unity was capable of since I'd never used it before. 

To repeat: two weeks, not full time. Imagine how fast we could have got stuff on zomboid done if we weren't in java land :(

TL;DR - Unity is great provided it's the right kind of project, and developers who understand what is going on under the hood, but its ease of use and the asset store means that not so great developers are more empowered to make bad games in it, and there are many more not so great amateur developers than there are ones with experience and skill.

On 14/11/2017 at 3:46 PM, Capt_Paradox said:

Does a Sci-fi theme interest you in regards to playing or developing? If so did you ever play System Shock 2? This kind of reminded me of that...... but obviously more graphically intense.

Great work :)

Not played System Shock 2 (I know!) but yeah sci-fi stuff is great. It'd definitely interest a couple of us at least, so maybe one day. but not after zomboid I doubt.

On 11/14/2017 at 8:25 AM, lemmy101 said:

We have some ideas what we might do, but we avoid talking about it too much even in the team since we don't want to get distracted from PZ - but rest assured it'll be something much smaller in scope we will be doing to escape the years of Early Access stressful business. :D don't be expecting something as grandiose as Zomboid from us any time soon after we finish, we need a break and to work on something we can finish and release complete. That all said it'll be something cool and different nontheless.

PS: Unity is amazing and awesome providing the developers use it for the right sort of game and know how to leverage it. Sadly the low bar for cost and ability to enter means it has a lot of shitty games, and further the free version of Unity most amateurs would use is the one that has the big UNITY logo before loading, where the paid version pros would use you'd probably never know it IS Unity based, so the reputation its gained is massively unfair imo. They kinda shot themselves in the foot with that.

I'll defend Unity to the ends of the earth and can safely say Zomboid would have been finished had Unity been a viable choice when we started.

Over xmas last year I took some R&R time and wanted to mess with my new Vive, and in LITERALLY a couple of weeks of fiddling here and there, alone armed with the asset store, made this. DISCLAIMER: This will never be a game (for one the money just ain't in VR atm :(,hope Fallout changes this, not to mention being rather shamelessly inspired by A:I that our lovely Will wrote for, and something I did myself without any team discussion ) was just me goofing about to see what Unity was capable of since I'd never used it before. 

*SNIP*

To repeat: two weeks, not full time. Imagine how fast we could have got stuff on zomboid done if we weren't in java land :(

TL;DR - Unity is great provided it's the right kind of project, and developers who understand what is going on under the hood, but its ease of use and the asset store means that not so great developers are more empowered to make bad games in it, and there are many more not so great amateur developers than there are ones with experience and skill.

Well damn, Lemmy!  Color me impressed! xD

Hey how about, after PZ's release, and maybe a year or two of letting it settle, y'all start Project Zomboid 2 with Unity?  Give it the FULL "3D" Experience, while keeping the good ol' "2.5D" Camera?  Could make it possible for the camera to rotate, then, and give the graphics more flexibility for the MINOR details... (Zombie Gore showing, Intestines trailing out of bellies, Improved Climbing/Falling Physics ( if those aren't fixed with the Animation Update), and the opportunity for the Modding Community to turn the game into an FPS... make it what DayZ SHOULD have been! ) :D

Heh... mentioning DayZ kinda makes me think about how much y'all have inspired out there.  Keep up the awesome work regardless!  ^_^

Oh, and from 'Murica, Happy Thanksgiving!  Pretty sure y'all don't celebrate it, but hey, doesn't hurt to spread the positive vibes cross-country... and I still got 39 Minutes to say it. ;)

On 11/14/2017 at 2:25 PM, lemmy101 said:

It seems as though we have a similar taste in asset packs, Lemmy. (Don't tell my tutor. ;) )

I don't normally post my college projects on youtube because I feel as though they're complete trash, but here's the one where I used a particular sci-fi weapons pack. ;)

Kinda sucks that the lighting broke in the second level and I forgot how to get across the bridge, but ah well.

• 1 month later...

Archived