Server hardware sizing

DobriyDed

I have no idea, but we could give you a rough answer if we knew for how many players you want to host :D 

Though, nonetheless of how much memory you give and how smooth your server runs for players, zombies will always lagg from time to time at some point, but they're working to improve / fix that! :) 

Said that I'd suggest hosting your server without infection to avoid unfair laggy zombie bites, but that's up to you

Edited by jinoz

Now working configuration for server VM is 4gb RAM (3gb for java), 4 cores @ 3.5GHz

With fresh server (not much loot on floor, not much player building) it can handle up to 15 ppls, then lags and crash

After aprox 1 month it start crash with 10+ ppls online and yes, i have a 12h/day players , so lots of building up to 6 floors. Maniacs.

Sometimes server crush with clear "out of memory" symptoms after 24-36 hours uptime. 

Last few days i've seen unknown crash condition (no console errors) when server is just not accepting new connections (with 1-4 players online). Just "server not responding" in client  when truying to connect

Question #1 is - how i can handle up to 25-30 active players how much memory needed? Question #2 how to get rid of this "unknown conditions" crash, i've mentioned above.  Thanks! 

Edited by DobriyDed

I had my server set up at 32GB, for 22 slots, and it take around 24-26GB when it was full , so a setup with at least 1Gb for player should be good to work, also set up a simple reboot every 24h (night hours work best) to avoid memory clogging issues and let the server breath.

Just now, EUDOXIO said:

I had my server set up at 32GB, for 22 slots, and it take around 24-26GB when it was full , so a setup with at least 1Gb for player should be good to work, also set up a simple reboot every 24h (night hours work best) to avoid memory clogging issues and let the server breath.

EUDOXIO, thanks! 

1gb per user is insane :-)

Can't belive this, so sad to be true

Due to $$$ rates on Nitrado and similar platforms,  Zomboid is not so resource-hungry. Maybe marketing issue, not techniacal, but every slot for this game is much cheaper comparing to other games.

Maybe somebody have other information on memory requiriments? Official guide maybe .....

10 minutes ago, DobriyDed said:

EUDOXIO, thanks! 

1gb per user is insane :-)

Can't belive this, so sad to be true

Due to $$$ rates on Nitrado and similar platforms,  Zomboid is not so resource-hungry. Maybe marketing issue, not techniacal, but every slot for this game is much cheaper comparing to other games.

Maybe somebody have other information on memory requiriments? Official guide maybe .....

I had my server on nitrado, with them you buy the server slots, but you can modify the "start-server.sh" launch file and pz64.json file to set up the memory up to 32/64GB

Edited by EUDOXIO

3 minutes ago, EUDOXIO said:

I had my server on nitrado, with them you buy the server slots, but you can modify the "start-server.sh" launch file and pz64.json file to set up the memory up to 32/64GB

I'm pretty sure formula 1 player =  1gig is wrong.

5-8 players online, no lags, 3 GB java RAM

10 players is so-so, crash possible

image.png

image.png

Once you start the game, its less, but ive seen the server take up more memory as time passed by, so i set it up to around 1Gb/player to have a safe cushion and avoid crashes that were an issue until i find how to set up server memory. Even tho, in my experience a daily reboot have that memory hungry under control.  

You can do some tests with players on and see what the server asks for.

Check this "old" "official" answers: https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11780-memory-usage-per-player/

https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9019-bandwidthmemory-usage-of-server/

25 minutes ago, EUDOXIO said:

Once you start the game, its less, but ive seen the server take up more memory as time passed by, so i set it up to around 1Gb/player to have a safe cushion and avoid crashes that were an issue until i find how to set up server memory. Even tho, in my experience a daily reboot have that memory hungry under control.  

You can do some tests with players on and see what the server asks for.

Check this "old" "official" answers: https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11780-memory-usage-per-player/

https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9019-bandwidthmemory-usage-of-server/

EUDOXIO, thanks for all you'r time, It's really helps a lot! 

Shopping for additional memory is inevitable  :-D

I manage to keep a server up from the last 2 years, and i struggled with it more times that i can count, but everytime i find something new for it, so it was really a good and fun experience and a lot of learning.

Anything i can do to help PZ players :)