Hosting server on a different port and trouble connecting

Sharky

I'm having trouble hosting a Zomboid server as my router won't let me port forward 16261 for some unknown reason. So I thought that just by changing the port the server started on in the config and telling my friends when they go to favorite the server to change the default port to the one I set would solve the problem. My friends however are unable to connect to the server and I'm not sure why. Any ideas why this would be happening? Is it the port that's a problem or something else?

1 hour ago, jinoz said:

What kind of problem are you having with portforwarding? any error?

Is your server steam or non-steam?

It's a steam server and i just get an error saying check your ports. Which the start and end port are both 16261 so I can't be doing that wrong (hopefully).

29 minutes ago, Sharky said:

It's a steam server and i just get an error saying check your ports.

I remember I used to get the same thing (or similar), it says something about UPnP right?, make sure your server has UPnP enabled (it's enabled by default) AND make sure your router also has UPnP enabled (it's located in the LAN tab in your router settings), restart your router after that, if that doesn't work disable UPnP in your router and server, both methods will work, you won't get the port error anymore :)

Just to make sure, here's a check list:

- Portforwarded UDP 16261

- Portforwarded TCP 16262 - 162XX (it being the player capacity in your server)

- Portforwarded BOTH 8766 (this is not needed, but I did it just in case, it's the steams port I believe)

- Make sure UPnP is enabled

- Added all the ports to your firewall (to allow connection)

- Restart the router just in case

If that doesn't work, try hosting via the "Host" button, it works for me

1 hour ago, jinoz said:

I remember I used to get the same thing (or similar), it says something about UPnP right?, make sure your server has UPnP enabled (it's enabled by default) AND make sure your router also has UPnP enabled (it's located in the LAN tab in your router settings), restart your router after that, if that doesn't work disable UPnP in your router and server, both methods will work, you won't get the port error anymore :)

It doesn't say anything about UPnP it just says "Error! Check your Inputs." I am also unable to find that in the LAN tab of my router. Does using the Host button in game just work around this all?

1 hour ago, Sharky said:

Does using the Host button in game just work around this all?

Seems like it, it works for me, for some reason I can't host steam multiplayer if I run the server .bat file, so I just use the Host button and everything is okay, try it :)