Safe house question

jinoz

I noticed barricading wasn't safe enough, so I destroyed my stairs and climbed to the second floor using the sheet rope, everything was okay until I came back from a supply run, my sheet rope wasn't there anymore, I thought it was a bug so I googled it only to realize that destroying the stairs was actually a thing to build a "sky fortress", apparently it was an end-game impenetrable safe house so they had to make zeds destroy sheet ropes to avoid that.

So now that I know that, I have 3 questions:

1.- Is there any other way to keep the safe house way more secure than barricading it? (barricades don't seem to last)

2.- Do zeds destroy wooden / log walls or only windows and doors? (do they destroy stairs too?)

3.- I was planning on digging a grave infront of the stairs then placing / removing a wood floor whenever I had to pass, would this work? (I'd test it myself but I don't have a shovel to do so)

Thanks :D  I know that it may be cheating in some way, but I just wanna have fun

1. Log walls are the strongest.  But eventually they will break.  You can set up shop in certain areas of the map that are completely surrounded by "Game/Map" walls.  They are impenetrable.  Also once you learn game mechanics, you'll learn where and how to make the best bases by location.  Or you can install the Well Built Walls mod.  Makes your player made walls much stronger.  But eventually they will fail.  

2. They destroy all player built items and items you pick up from the map and place down.  (furniture etc.)  There is currently an exception to this. But that's for you to find out.  

3.  You can't dig below the bottom layer of the game. So that would not work.  Unless you are referring to the newest IWBUMS version.  I stick with the stable branch. 

37 minutes ago, Paul Redeker said:

1. You can set up shop in certain areas of the map that are completely surrounded by "Game/Map" walls.

2. They destroy all player built items, there is currently an exception to this.

3.  I stick with the stable branch. 

You gave me a good idea with the game walls, and regarding the player furniture exception, I don't mind spoilers in case you want to share it, it would be helpful :)

What is the difference between IWBUMS and Stable Branch?

I still destroy the stairs and use sheet ropes exclusively, just keep a nice stack of sheet ropes on your top floor and have as many of them as you can spread around every window possible (I would suggest at least 3, if you don't have that many windows and you wanna be safe, build more). They might break a couple of them but it would be pretty rare if they break all. I have yet to see it happen and I've done it A LOT. Even if it did happen, you can just build some temporary stairs to enter and set up your ropes again, beats having to keep securing a whole ground floor.

9 hours ago, jinoz said:

You gave me a good idea with the game walls, and regarding the player furniture exception, I don't mind spoilers in case you want to share it, it would be helpful :)

What is the difference between IWBUMS and Stable Branch?

The fun is figuring it all out. 

I Will Back Up My Save.  It's the test versions before they release the next  stable build.  Like IWBUMS has disease from zombie corpses, digging graves for sanitation, some new roof mechanics, etc.  

There is also another branch right now that is testing vehicles as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

More safehouse tips:

• Build little walls just around the downstairs windows, so light can get in, but zombies have to go through player wall before they break through the window.  
  • Build a window or railing inside your safehouse with a sheet rope.  This way they can't pull down the sheet rope without getting inside first.
  • Have two safehouses.  One can be closer to urban areas where you bring your loot and sort it.  You might never go to this safehouse except during the day because it's inherently less safe, but you'll go there alot when you're scavenging .  The other safehouse can be in a more isolated location, where you'll sleep most of the time, do your farming, etc.
  • You can walk through compost boxes, just really slow.  Zombies can't destroy them.  You can use this to build an additional perimeter— I've seen people do this on servers but I haven't tried in my solo games.

Archived