Project CarZ

nasKo

boop-712x462.jpg

Current focus is getting 38 out of the door, while putting roots down for the initial vehicles release in Build 39 and beyond. And so…

BUILD 38

We’re fixing up and polish Build 38 for release, and want it to be as clean as possible so we can drop the vehicles build straight into IWBUMS beta testing afterwards as Build 39 – with the new map expansion that includes the new town of Riverside and the Knox Heights Country Club.

This includes ironing the final kinks out of ChrisW’s rooftop rendering and peeking changes – as right now in the beta we’ve still got a few irritations like occasional see-through roof slants, canopies around the edges of buildings that never disappear and wonky player-built second floors. It’s ‘tidy up’ work more than anything, but we want it all to be as seamless as we can make it once it hits public.

As such, while this is done and in the build-up to release, we’ll continue to fix and polish RJ’s existing 38 work with graves, sandbox options and other stuff – alongside turning as much of the Bug Tracker from red to green as possible.

Yuri meanwhile, he of Vehicles Build fame, is going to transfer as many of his branch’s optimizations as we can into the IWBUMS version – so they’re not stuck in a holding pattern. He’ll also transfer his current work on improving gamepad controls and making sure that screens like in-game maps, foraging and sandbox game creation can all be navigated without a keyboard.

BITBABOON GANG

As regular readers will know we’ve now got Mark and Steve from Bitbaboon, both established Technical Directors from the land of AAA, bedded down with the team to help with animations (Mark) and MP/general optimization (Steve).

Steve’s first task is to optimize MP connectivity – and so we’ve set him up with a build so he can get some detailed stats back on bandwidth, cpu and memory for servers, and track what happens when latency rises. While he does so he’s also marking targets for when his role turns to more general FPS optimization.

Mark, meanwhile, is approaching the point at which the new animation system is merged into the main game code, but on a (development side debug) toggle. This means that it will always be integrated into the PZ build, allowing our coders to flick its various visual/gameplay switches ‘on’ as we go and start releasing test versions – keeping it in date with the main game much easier and allowing it all to co-exist with vehicles much more neatly.

VEHICLES

We released Vehicle Test Build 16 on Friday, which was something of a ‘wider IWBUMS testing’ preparation build as it put vehicles on a toggle accessed from the Game Select screen. It also corrected and darkened shadow positioning as well as, hopefully, prevented unrealistic car-climbing and bouncing on zombie corpses.

Next up Yuri will be integrating Mash’s redone burnt car models, an example of which is below, before moving onto a spot of optimization. This said, in amongst it all, there are a few other aspects we’d like to see integrated before/during the 39 IWBUMS: specifically clearer headlights, red brakelights, car horns, sirens and accurate numbers of seats for each car model. We’ll see how much we can fit in, basically.

burntambulance-300x196.jpgburnt-police-car-300x196.jpg

WOLDREN MAPS

If you fancy holding out somewhere new and different than can we also suggest you check out the wide range of awesome maps that Woldren has created? Over the River, especially, is pretty awesome – as it creates a huge bridge over from West Point, with its own docked ship nearby, and a range of interesting locations for you to explore on the opposite bank. Definitely one to check out.

NOLAN GATES

Something we’ll need to be adding to the main game in build 39+ are player-built gates that’ll allow vehicles inside. In the meantime the lovely Mister Nolan has you covered with his new Log Wall Gate mod. Vid here.

Today’s featured image from Boop. A general list of stuff added to PZ, and vids of features being worked on, is kept here – so you don’t have to plough through endless Mondoids for info. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right hereOur Discord is open for chat and hijinks too.

49 minutes ago, xXxFANCYCAPYBARA36xXx said:

THESE WRECKS LOOK FUCKING BADASS +1

Every time when someone says that TIS developers are lazy just tell them how it's hard to make one simple skin for Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas ( i making it for 3 days. On first day it was literally 9 hours without break time. AVE COFFEE! )

Edited by DramaSetter

8 hours ago, nasKo said:

Something we’ll need to be adding to the main game in build 39+ are player-built gates that’ll allow vehicles inside.

Will this also include adding functionality to all the perfectly-good shutters and garage doors that have been part of the maps since forever?

(Also, will garages as a whole be fixed size-wise? I mean, many of the WP garages barely look capable of fitting in one of those mini-smart cars, let alone an 80-90s sedan....)

On 15.8.2017 at 1:49 AM, DramaSetter said:

Every time when someone says that TIS developers are lazy just tell them how it's hard to make one simple skin for Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas ( i making it for 3 days. On first day it was literally 9 hours without break time. AVE COFFEE! )

thats just the texturing, too

now an entire model u gotta make the whole mesh from scratch often starting from a single cube or plane and make sure it has the lowest polygons possible, then when ur done with that u gotta uv unwrap it the whole process of marking seams for better unwrapping and managing the entire layout is hell and then you gotta look how youre gonna make and align ur texture on top of that to make everything look on point and then make a material for it all etc... when i started blender i tried making a woman, it took me like 3 iterations and overall 5 days to get a good model done. gotta appreciate the whole workload for a single model.

also love how mash managed the burn marks around where the tires were, and how u can see how the flames went toward the back of the car and such. most games like gta v even just give u generic charred overlays but the cars here actually have a 'story' to them, the scorch marks give me a sense of personality and realism vs just putting a charred overlay on it and calling it a day.

its amazing how much detail went into these.

42 minutes ago, xXxFANCYCAPYBARA36xXx said:

when i started blender i tried making a woman, it took me like 3 iterations and overall 5 days to get a good model done.

I loved doing 3D stuff too!, sadly my pc had a motherboard and GPU failure (basically the important stuff), that was more than a year ago :(

Have you done mods for this game?

4 hours ago, xXxFANCYCAPYBARA36xXx said:

modding

1. I tried make new model for San Andreas by using 2 different models and it took me 4 days. In fact, bones was broken and i supposed to remade it in the end. While working i swearing like hell, promising to my self that i will anal rape this model, my dog, my cat, my neighbors. All my dreams was about 3D's Max 2010, literally. For only understand how it works i supposed to watch 1 hour guides without any script or edit. 

2. Yeah, i remarked it too. Hope that future burned corpses models will use same detalised texture.

On 20.8.2017 at 10:36 AM, DramaSetter said:

Hope that future burned corpses models will use same detalised texture.

something like left 4 death 2 it had a smooth realistic looking overlay on the infected that would leave some spots untouched and some spots completely charred. this would be badass.

On 20.8.2017 at 10:36 AM, DramaSetter said:

promising to my self that i will anal rape this model, my dog, my cat, my neighbors.

oh gooood lmfaooooooo HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA