Insane/High settings

ld-airgrafix

Lately I have been experimenting with Insane zombie setting, and I find it impossible to loot anything. Do people actually play using insane setting? I usually settle somewhere on the outskirts, and that's not a problem, but trying to move into a city is impossible, what tips do you guys use to get around such a high number of zombies.

My belief is that they put it there as a peak limiter, where zombies have a maximum of what they can do. 

For instance, zombies have a sense of smell right? Well IndieStone have to have some sort of "range" on which zombies may be able to smell. They figure out what the maximum is, set that as "insane" and then scale off of that.

For zombie spawns? Probably use it for stress testing, then made it available for everyone to use.

I would also assume one could get a large amount of friends, toss on a gun mod and play "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen.

You may try Insane+very rare loot on everything... Nothing better than kill around 50+ bastards with bare hands to go into a house with nothing in there but a broom... :P

I've played a lot with Insane zed pop... Now, i sincerely prefer the High population setting ; it's still allow you to play/move into cities with a decent risk factor and not make it so horribly tedious as Insane do...

About Insane ;

As you do, you just leave cities to the dead, and establish your camp in the wild.

Some spots can still be looted quite easily (mostly around Muldraugh ;i still think WP and probably Rosewood are deathtrap with so many zeds) even with that lvl of zed pop :

1) Oblviously McCoy warehouses, it's usually quitte doable and provide so many things...

2) The western farm+Poney Roam is also viable ; the zed pop in the poney roam is really manageable ;

3) The warehouse S-W of Muldraugh is also doable, even if more caution is required (i dont know why, but it's usually more crowded than oney roam) ;

4) Dixie and spiffo area inbtw Muldraugh and WP

5) Northern farm

You need to be cautious (there's usually too many zeds arounds to mess with them) ; don't be greedy (no overweight) ; it's preferable to get a backup camp not so far from your plunder (cabin in the wood by the west of Dixie or isolated house to the south, for ex.)

You usually can't loot much buildings, except for the edge of towns ; the gunshot lure is a really valuable (if not mandatory) tactic.

Also, you may just burn them maybe (campfire tactic, cuz you may not have stuff to make bombs...) ? Never bother me to try with that lvl of zed pop, but honestly, as it's probably the more efficient way to deal with huge crowd, i assume it's still working on Insane level.

I usually have my SP games gradually hit the insane mark by setting the peak day at half a year (182 days) and peak day population at 4.0. this gives you plenty of time to loot and set up base before the cities are over run by the dead, makes for great game play imo. I usually always try to do a realistic style set up when i play. usually start with very low amount of zeds in the beginning slowly increasing just like a real outbreak is occurring. id highly suggest making base far from a city or at least find a sledge and knock out the stairs and connect as many buildings via wooden floor bridges, defiantly create a crate room with around 35 crates for high storage and loot EVERYTHING you can during that first 6 months because once it hits peak day, you might have to stay in your base for a few days to MONTHS at a time, i was stuck inside the my massive base i had made by connecting all the westpoint upper floors along main street, i cleared EVERY house and building in westpoint and started having to go to muldrugh to gather more supplies.

The best way to keep track of looted buildings is to use the in game maps and use a red pen to 'X' off each house you loot and always make sure to grab EVERYTHING, if you cant grab it all or have to make multiple trips what i do is set up a safe house in one of the houses as a halfway mark between my base and where im looting to only store good in to shorten distances between my loot and my main base. cars will make this MUCH easier however you might want to make sure you knock any stairs out of your base before using a car since they tend to attract quite a few dead heads along the way.

Another good thing to do during a gradual insane play-through is ALWAYS make sure to have multiple safe-houses scattered around the maps, i have 6 in westpoint and 10 in muldraugh. the best way to do this is to find a house with an upstairs and move everything from the lower floors to the upper floors, fill up all water holding items with water and store all food in a dresser or something, then knock out at least 2 extra walls per side of the house and make windows, then fill every single window that's on the upper floor with sheet ropes to insure there will at least be one still there if any zeds manage to pull some down. these extra safe-houses will prove LIFE SAVING during an insane play-through, i play with huge group sizes of around 75 zeds with a 25 separation for at least some space, normally during the beginning they formed groups wont be as big as that until more zombies start spawning in, normally around month 3 is when you start seeing the large 50+ hordes. that aside say a house alarm goes off while you out looting and there is 200 zombies on your ass, luckily your a smart survivor and made a safe house down the street that's stocked for a few days. just run there and climb up a sheet rope (if they're all torn down run to the next closest safe house ALWAYS MARK THEM ON YOUR MAP, MAPS ARE YOUR FRIEND!) and then just wait it out for a few days till they wander off.

Now lets say that there's a massive hoard surrounding your main base, but your out of food and water and are dying, always make sure you have a bridge leading to either another building, or house or if one isn't near by make a small shed that  you can connect by bridge, place a few radios inside the building you base is connected to and turn them all the way up and tune it to static, this will draw them away from your safe house and they will be busy trying to get to the radios than to deal with your hungry ass, this can easily get you out of your base and to grab some food from somewhere and head back. I hope my post helps you and others survive longer during your play-throughs! gradual insane zombies is playable! just be extremely careful and follow what i said, it could save your ass out there. my character has survived on my SP game fore 2 years and 11 months in game time, I play it extremely carefully, id honestly probably cry when this character finally dies, good luck everyone in your insane zombie setting endeavors!

8 hours ago, Man_In_The_Purple_Hat said:

I usually have my SP games gradually hit the insane mark by setting the peak day at half a year (182 days) and peak day population at 4.0. this gives you plenty of time to loot and set up base before the cities are over run by the dead, makes for great game play imo. I usually always try to do a realistic style set up when i play. usually start with very low amount of zeds in the beginning slowly increasing just like a real outbreak is occurring. id highly suggest making base far from a city or at least find a sledge and knock out the stairs and connect as many buildings via wooden floor bridges, defiantly create a crate room with around 35 crates for high storage and loot EVERYTHING you can during that first 6 months because once it hits peak day, you might have to stay in your base for a few days to MONTHS at a time, i was stuck inside the my massive base i had made by connecting all the westpoint upper floors along main street, i cleared EVERY house and building in westpoint and started having to go to muldrugh to gather more supplies.

The best way to keep track of looted buildings is to use the in game maps and use a red pen to 'X' off each house you loot and always make sure to grab EVERYTHING, if you cant grab it all or have to make multiple trips what i do is set up a safe house in one of the houses as a halfway mark between my base and where im looting to only store good in to shorten distances between my loot and my main base. cars will make this MUCH easier however you might want to make sure you knock any stairs out of your base before using a car since they tend to attract quite a few dead heads along the way.

Another good thing to do during a gradual insane play-through is ALWAYS make sure to have multiple safe-houses scattered around the maps, i have 6 in westpoint and 10 in muldraugh. the best way to do this is to find a house with an upstairs and move everything from the lower floors to the upper floors, fill up all water holding items with water and store all food in a dresser or something, then knock out at least 2 extra walls per side of the house and make windows, then fill every single window that's on the upper floor with sheet ropes to insure there will at least be one still there if any zeds manage to pull some down. these extra safe-houses will prove LIFE SAVING during an insane play-through, i play with huge group sizes of around 75 zeds with a 25 separation for at least some space, normally during the beginning they formed groups wont be as big as that until more zombies start spawning in, normally around month 3 is when you start seeing the large 50+ hordes. that aside say a house alarm goes off while you out looting and there is 200 zombies on your ass, luckily your a smart survivor and made a safe house down the street that's stocked for a few days. just run there and climb up a sheet rope (if they're all torn down run to the next closest safe house ALWAYS MARK THEM ON YOUR MAP, MAPS ARE YOUR FRIEND!) and then just wait it out for a few days till they wander off.

Now lets say that there's a massive hoard surrounding your main base, but your out of food and water and are dying, always make sure you have a bridge leading to either another building, or house or if one isn't near by make a small shed that  you can connect by bridge, place a few radios inside the building you base is connected to and turn them all the way up and tune it to static, this will draw them away from your safe house and they will be busy trying to get to the radios than to deal with your hungry ass, this can easily get you out of your base and to grab some food from somewhere and head back. I hope my post helps you and others survive longer during your play-throughs! gradual insane zombies is playable! just be extremely careful and follow what i said, it could save your ass out there. my character has survived on my SP game fore 2 years and 11 months in game time, I play it extremely carefully, id honestly probably cry when this character finally dies, good luck everyone in your insane zombie setting endeavors!

There are so many simple yet very effective tips here, i always wanted to incorporate alarm clocks as distraction but could never think of a way, you have really helped me here thanks.

I started a game with insane, but starting off at medium zombie spawn, peak will reach at 100 days. I really like your idea, just to loot first few days, not bothering crafting anything beside barricading windows maybe.

Ropes i feel is cheating, its way too easy once you remove stairs, you have complete safety. I do setup some ropes but i dont knock stairs out, i still want that fear when going to sleep, will they break into the house.

I use car mod, until the devs get their vehicles going properly.  Never really had multiple safehouses and this is something i will have to look into. Thanks

On 14/8/2017 at 8:54 AM, Man_In_The_Purple_Hat said:

I usually have my SP games gradually hit the insane mark by setting the peak day at half a year (182 days) and peak day population at 4.0. this gives you plenty of time to loot and set up base before the cities are over run by the dead, makes for great game play imo.

Excuse me, I don't wanna hijack the thread, I just got a question regarding your comment, I know that "Population Start" its the amount of zombies at the beginning (right?), but what's the difference between "Population" and "Population Peak"?

4 hours ago, jinoz said:

Excuse me, I don't wanna hijack the thread, I just got a question regarding your comment, I know that "Population Start" its the amount of zombies at the beginning (right?), but what's the difference between "Population" and "Population Peak"?

Yup "Population start" is the population of zombies right at the beginning of your game,"Population peak" adjusts said zombie population at "Peak Day" which is also a setting on the sandbox mode. Like I said i usually go for half a year 182 days for my population peak to hit insane or rather 4.0. I hope this helps :)

23 hours ago, jinoz said:

I'll tag on too-

I think "pop" is your base, "pop start" is the early modifier, which scales up to your "pop peak" multiplier.

So if pop=2, start =0.5, and peak= 2, you get

1 [or 2x0.5] at start and 4 [or 2x2] at peak.

I think.

Archived