How to setup a 38.5 server? (non-steam)

jinoz

I've done the following and I still can't connect to the server.

- Port Forwarded 16261 UDP and 16262-16264 TCP (I checked and the ports are open and working)

- Added the ports to the windows firewall (ports are still open and working)

- Opened the server (.bat) file and wrote -nosteam at the end of it, just right after "zombie.network.GameServer"

- Created my world using PZServerSettings.bat  and also edited the settings in the in-game manager

- I run the server file and everything is ok, I get no errors.

Hamachi:

- I ran the server file, no errors

- I setup my Hamachi network

- Open the game and click on join

- Paste the Hamachi's IPv4 on the IP bar

- The server failed to respond

Evolve:

- I ran the server file, no errors

- I set up my party group

- Open the game and click on join

- Paste the Evolve's party IPv4 on the IP bar

- The server failed to respond

What am I doing wrong?, any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Edited by jinoz

You're sure the server was set to -nosteam correctly? Clients need to have it set as well  (in Steam, PZ -> right click -> Properrties -> Set Launch Options). You should not see (Steam) in parenthesis on the lower right-hand corner of the game window. Likewise, in the server terminal,  you shouldn't see anything about Steam being enabled.

For you, the host, use the IP 127.0.0.1 to connect to your own server. Some network systems cannot handle "loopback" in which you connect to your computer's network IP from the same computer. It just fails and I'd assume that applies for Hamachi/Evolve, as well.

6 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

You're sure the server was set to -nosteam correctly?

Ohh thanks, it works now, I have one more question, I'm the one hosting and my internet is only 10mb/s, is there a way to reduce lagg?, or the only option would be to upgrade (increase) my router speed?

3 minutes ago, jinoz said:

Ohh thanks, it works now, I have one more question, I'm the one hosting and my internet is only 10mb/s, is there a way to reduce lagg?, or the only option would be to upgrade (increase) my router speed?

That should be fine. You only need about 20 -30 kbps per player.

What matters more is the quality of your Internet connection. Wireless, for example, will often silently drop packets or connections despite having a strong signal. Using an Ethernet cable is preferred.  Otherwise, it really depends on your provider and what happens between your server and  your user's.

Changing your (assuming wireless) router would be unnecessary unless many people in your household streamed content or used the Internet simultaneously.

8 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

That should be fine. You only need about 20 -30 kbps per player.

I'm connected by Ethernet cable, I was just reading a steam post where the RAM or the PZ bit version could be the problem:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/0/357286119104252342/

Since I only have 4GB RAM I'll give 2GB to the server and I'll run it on 32-bit to see if it works :)

Edit: apparently server memory only goes as far as 1.25GB, is that the max?

Edited by jinoz

8 minutes ago, jinoz said:

I'm connected by Ethernet cable, I was just reading a steam post where the RAM or the PZ bit version could be the problem:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/0/357286119104252342/

Since I only have 4GB RAM I'll give 2GB to the server and I'll run it on 32-bit to see if it works :)

Edit: apparently server memory only goes as far as 1.25GB, is that the max?

For 32-bit applications, it's limited to about 1G

If your system is 64-bit, you can give it more RAM.  Edit the bat file, try setting it to -Xmx2G If  it's not possible on your system, Java will simply error out.

By default, I'm pretty sure the sever bat file is 64-bit, so you'll probably be fine giving it 2 gigabytes.

2 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

If your system is 64-bit, you can give it more RAM.  Edit the bat file, try setting it to -Xmx2G If  it's not possible on your system, Java will simply error out.

My OS is Windows 7 64-bit, the server bat file is set to " -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m "  do I change both of them to -Xmx2G? (it looks like it's the same)

So I run the server file at 2GB RAM, and open the 32-bit PZ, would that work or would it pull back the server to 1GB?

On 13/8/2017 at 5:22 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

That's 2GB already. :) With java, you can either use m or G. M just means megabyte, G means gigabyte.

And yes, the 32-bit client can connect to a 64-bit server without issue.

Sorry for replying so late, just wanted to let you know that it's working fine and I appreciate your help, thank you :)

Might be off-topic, but while I was googling some PZ questions I found reddit and steam posts regarding some promised NPCs and what not, I was reading about it, some discussions were quite interesting tbh, while others were just insults, I understand the situation just a little bit, perhaps promising something that wasn't any close to be released wasn't the best idea, but we all commit mistakes, and I don't think you guys deserve that hate, the game is really good and it's been out for some years, the game still has future and I hope that as time goes by it gets even better, so do your best to keep ignoring the hate posts.

Btw, EnigmaGrey's account is the support's team account? (as in multiple people), because I've seen a lot of EnigmaGrey posts, otherwise it'd blow my head off if it's a single person.

There can be only one.

Thanks for the kind words. It's really appreciated.

I imagine that  if the devs could do it again, NPCs wouldn't have been in the Tech demo / mentioned at all. But that's hindsight for you. So many things you could do better if you just knew how it'd all turn out. :P They even have a handy presentation about "how not to make a video game" commenting on PZ's early lessons kicking around YouTube.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-10-rezzed-sessions-project-zomboid-how-not-to-make-a-game