Melee system

Margera

The forum is actively discussing the imperfection of the shooting system, but I would like to talk about a melee system. When long ago, when I started playing, the guys advised me to keep the aiming with the mouse longer, so that the blow would be stronger, but in the game I did not find this later.

At the moment, close combat presents itself with monotonous clicks on the mouse so that when the zombie falls, just finish it off - which is also not very cool, but it's not about that.

When I remembered that manual, I thought that maybe it would be cool not just to click on the mouse, but as if to put a blow. In theory, in fact, to strike a good clear blow, you need a couple of moments to aim. Such a system could increase the chance of a critical hit for example. More then, it could bring something new to the melee system, which would not allow the system to slide into a dull mouse-clicking. This would be a constant tension in the battle and a passionate pleasure from every next critical strike delivered right to the target ...

In addition to this system, it would be possible to make some interface to understand that the chance of critical attack is increased, for example, a small circle at the time of aiming is filled with color in a few moments. Such a circle will mean that the impact will be aimed, rather than in passing.

Sorry for my English :(
Yours faithfully, the guy from cold Russia

Edited by Margera

I've been doing my own unscientific study of melee weapons and there seems to be some variance in weapons concerning what I like to call "critical hits", zed stamina, and "sweet spots".

Having never even looked at the code, I've gathered that some weapons have a higher chance to successfully do damage than others, and that zombies seemingly have a "stamina" buffer that can influence how much damage you do when you hit them. What I mean by stamina is that depending on how long a zombie has been lunging towards you, they have more or less stamina, which I believe is determined by their deteriorating speed until they "replenish" their stamina and revert to original speed once again. At the slowest portion of their moment is the time to strike I believe, as I think it increases your chance of rolling higher damage, chance of knockback or knockdown, and chance of critical. Again, this is all conjecture based on my experiences and observations; this could all be completely wrong. But I've killed enough zombies to start noticing patterns, and there is a pattern to be found. I may simply not have found all parts of it yet.

But on the topic of weapons, baseball bats have high knockback, and the spiked variety does more damage. However it seems to me that the original bat has a higher critical ratio, as just by feeling, it seems like I one-shot zombies more often with the unmodified bat than the nailed version. There also seems to be a sweet spot to weapons that isn't fully explained or distinguishable. I've found that by timing my attacks differently to hit zombies with various "locations" of the weapon (tip of the bat, handle of the bat, middle of the bat) you can achieve seemingly different results. Long weapons benefit from achieving hits with the very end of the weapon; short weapons are about close-quarters timing. Hammers are a good example; the timing is precise since the weapon is so small, but a max-range hit seems to be one of the best critical rates for a blunt weapon I've found; there are times where I can eliminate multiple zombies in one hit (fresh fast shamblers and decayed shufflers both) with the hammer and a few well-placed hits, and at least four points into blunt skill.

As far as combat effectiveness goes, I think we've all established that panic reduces accuracy, anxiety reduces accuracy and damage... depression may also have an effect on this, though I rarely let my characters get sad so I have very limited knowledge about that moodle.

Maybe these ramblings are completely wrong and I'm insane. But I find melee to be quite engaging as it is... I'm just concerned that the animations update is going to force to me to learn how to play the entire game again.

P.S. Pool sticks are crazy weapons. You swing them at light speed and they have an extremely low chance of knockback. Yet, in the right circumstances, you can demolish a group of zeds with one. What's up with that? :-D

Some moments I also noticed these small "signs". However, by purposefully checking this, I made sure of my time that there is no system - there is only poking and different characteristics of zombies.
Perhaps, of course, like you, I'm wrong.
I also liked to reflect on this topic, but I want something more specific than the thinking of players like me and you. What is something that the developers would have confirmed, and maybe even balanced ...

Edited by Margera

This may be kind of overkill.

I think the tension of combat doesn't come from the fight between you and an individual zombie, but from you vs. a mass amount of zombies. While I do agree that there are improvements that can be made to the combat system, I don't agree that we should micromanage it down to a FPS style of play.

This may all be very interesting to see in a mod though.

12 hours ago, Damien Darkside said:

It would be nice to see it refined, but remember that the animation system is coming in eventually and that will change tactics immensely. 

Yeah. I hope with this update zombies will grab and slow you down even if you run near them ( not like this, when you can run throught the horde if fast enough )

Just need to work with the stamina parameter. Customize the battle so that your character is tired after 5-10 killed zombies. Thus, the developer would avoid an imbalance in the combat system.
Nevertheless, as it looks now - I'm sad.
Killing a zombie does not cause any trouble, you just click on the mouse and hope that the animation will not break and you will not be bitten.

On 12.08.2017 at 6:14 AM, Demonic_Kat said:

I think the tension of combat doesn't come from the fight between you and an individual zombie, but from you vs. a mass amount of zombies. While I do agree that there are improvements that can be made to the combat system, I don't agree that we should micromanage it down to a FPS style of play.

Yes, one zombie clearly should not be a problem - I agree. However, I do not think that you should beat him for half a minute, so that he falls and you can finish him off.
+ There is no tension from the battle and I think this is a mess. Although now and the crowd of zombies does not strain the player.

In general, I think that the battle should be a battle, not just a lot of mouse clicks.