Noise maker tiles

Aardman55

Ive been thinking and life in the muldraugh zombie apocalypse still isnt unfair enough :D!

So I came up with the ideas of either tiles, or random noise making by the sadistic ai director.

However what I mean is, ever saw these movies, or had that moment yourself when you were sneaking somewhere, thinking "Im such an epic badass no one will take me down, because im such a badass ninja and s-" and bam! You accidently tripped into something, or knocked down a bottle and woke someone up / made someone notice you.

Imagine sneaking past a zombie horde, thinking "HECKYE! THIS GAME IS SO EASY :D" and suddenly you trip on some glass shards, shattering them, and attracting the horde of zombies nearby.

Oh man that would be just so unfair, what do you think bout that?
Also! It would make things easy for you as in stuffs of knowing when a survivor is around ( when they're added which will probably be soon, and please dont friggin ask for an eta because I said that now )

or when zombies are near and you hear some glass shatter / something fall over.

I don't think these 'tiles' should randomly appear, but when entering a building through a broken window i think it would be fun to make some noise when stepping on the broken glass near the window.

I support this suggestion in general, but it needs to be a bit balanced in some way.

I'd personally like to just see some random occurrences happen (both to the player and npc's and zombies) based on what part of the clumsy -> graceful scale you are (upgraded by lightfooted stat in-game, and aforementioned perks before the game). Depending on your rating (zombies are absolute worst, players/npcs based on their stats) you have a specific chance of something occurring while doing an action:

• While climbing through a window, cause extra noise walking on glass (Thanks to Cas)
  • While running, a chance to stumble causing extra noise and slowing you slightly
  • While looting, a chance to make extra noise
  • While walking a chance to stumble making a small amount of noise (or fall if a zombie)
  • While walking through trees, a chance to snap a branch for a loud noise
  • While closing a door/window, a chance to slam it (applicable to the living only, of course)

I think knox bank should have an alarm when opening the vault door. hell the vault would be the perfect survival location!

Errr... well first Knox isn't a bank. It stores gold, but that does not a bank make. And second vault doors are all electrically controlled in todays world so without power you wouldn't get in or out anyways.

I'd personally like to just see some random occurrences happen (both to the player and npc's and zombies) based on what part of the clumsy -> graceful scale you are (upgraded by lightfooted stat in-game, and aforementioned perks before the game). Depending on your rating (zombies are absolute worst, players/npcs based on their stats) you have a specific chance of something occurring while doing an action:

• While climbing through a window, cause extra noise walking on glass (Thanks to Cas)
  • While running, a chance to stumble causing extra noise and slowing you slightly
  • While looting, a chance to make extra noise
  • While walking a chance to stumble making a small amount of noise (or fall if a zombie)
  • While walking through trees, a chance to snap a branch for a loud noise
  • While closing a door/window, a chance to slam it (applicable to the living only, of course)

I really like those ideas, seem better than the noise tiles and makers and the clumsyness part sounds really fair enough, makes you think twice to get that perk.

... Back on the idea of noise making tiles though - I kind of like the idea as a trap. Tiles which are visible to players but which zombies won't care about when tracking paths. Crafted with broken bottles, piles of nails, empty cans or crisp bags, etc etc. They could be very interesting once NPCs are a thing.

You place them and NPCs who hit them attract zombies to other locations, or zombies cause noise that confuse them as a horde and may cause a few to lose sight of you. Also the potential to hit a trap set by an NPC that has this effect (or run over 'garbage' tiles that have the same effect). 

As long as the tiles are all visible, it seems like a viable thing. I mean there is a lot of terrain that's louder to walk on than cement grass and wood panels. 

On the subject of clumsy actions: Yes and no. This would take a bit of control out of your hands as a player, and I kind of think it needs a bit more balancing to be a fair mechanic. Just happening on an RNG to hit a bad number means that no matter what, you have a chance to botch it. There's no way to be extra careful, if you know what I mean, it's very black and white up to chance. That in mind, I propose a 'rush' button that would add a bit to this idea. 

Say, normally your chances are this:

• While climbing through a broken window, cause extra noise walking on glass -  20%
  • While looting, a chance to make extra noise - 2%
  • While walking a chance to stumble making a small amount of noise -1%
  • While running, a chance to stumble causing extra noise and slowing you slightly - 3%
  • While walking through trees, a chance to snap a branch for a loud noise - 5%
  • While closing a door/window, a chance to slam it - 0%

The numbers are kind of random and not the point, don't nitpick. Anyway your chances regularly look like this, but when holding the rush button, there are a few small changes. 

• Looting / Eating / Actions are performed faster
  • Chance to choke on food, making noise, inflicting the lesser exertion moodlet and forcing you to stop for a second
  • Any generic action (crafting, ripping bandages, cooking, etc.) happens faster but takes a harsh penalty against your skill (if applicable) is much louder (if it already makes a sound) or makes a sound (if usually silent)
  • While climbing through a broken window, cause extra noise walking on glass -  40%
  • While looting, a chance to make extra noise - 10%
  • While walking a chance to stumble making a small amount of noise -1% omitted because rushing walking is running
  • While walking through trees, a chance to snap a branch for a loud noise - 10%
  • While closing a door/window, a chance to slam it - 10%

So normally the mentioned 'stumbles' aren't very likely, but if you want things to go faster, you have to take the extra risk. The idea of 'rushing' is an interesting mechanic in itself, considering that caution can be applied to almost anything you do in PZ, but yah... It's an idea. As it stands the pace of looting is pretty monotone in game. 

It miight be interesting to tie the chances of additional noise to moodles.

-- When tired or breathless you are progressively more likely to step on branches or glass,  making noise.    Modifying some tile        "noisiness" variable..  With the "noise" also determined by tile type.    Streets = glass.    Grass = branch snapping.  Floor = creaking

-- When sick you are obviously more likely to sneeze or cough.  That's in there now apparently

-- When angry you are more likely to spontaneously curse.

-- When in great pain you are more likely to moan or cry out.

-- When tired or exhausted you are more likely to trip when running.  Triggering an animation that costs you a few seconds of time.            Rarely resulting in a knock down?

etc.

All low chances to avoid a comedic result but enough to keep you worried when the moodles are up.

Good point Scyoni, when it comes down to it I completely agree. Taking control away from the player is bad. I think rather than try to add a whole new rush mechanic I'd prefer the game just detecting when you're rushing.

When running, any action you take has a slight chance to fumble for an awkward/noisy result. I don't mind this as far as "taking away control" because since you're running that is essentially rushing. Running and opening a door, running a jumping through a window, running through the woods, or running up to something and looting it- anything like that would have a chance to botch. I'd suggest a slight period after you stop running where the penalty is still there- 3 seconds say? Running in game is already somewhat of a bad idea- as it should be in my humble opinion. It makes it even more meaningful when you decide it's time to cut and run, and makes planning in advance and being careful much more important. It would also hopefully lessen the amount of people claiming they could just run through/away from hordes too easily.

This keeps it simple and easy(er) to add, but keeps the same spirit.

Edit: And I totally agree with Feral, too, certain moodles having a chance to make you noisier only makes sense.

Well, part of what I liked in the rush idea was being able to do normal things faster. :P But just post-running works too. (Or maybe it could just be while the run button is held you try to do other things faster? Food for thought.)