Project zomboid best part and worst part?

bearmasksenpai

Worst Part: Unfinished aspects, like the crowbar and rolling pin looking like a baseball bat

Best Part: The push for excellence.  Personally, I have been a Zomboid player for a few years now, but not continuously.  I discovered the game on Build 29, played to Build 32, lost ALL my canned goods at the switch to 33, then went on a Zomboid hiatus.  I've recently returned--Build 37-- and I'm very happy with all the updates and new systems.  It's almost like my first experience with Zomboid was PZ1 and now I'm playing the sequel, PZ2, which is very similar to PZ1 but with some cool, new features.

Best part? Sandbox Zombie Apocalypse with survival elements - as well as settings allowing you to customize your ideal world.

Worst part? I'd say feature creep; I mean, I've easily covered 8 times over my original 'support' dollars worth as a VERY early supporter, and having convinced my household to play after the Steam release classifies me as one of the 'long term supporters' - so I'm admittedly rather biased about the game as a whole.  

When I backed Project Zomboid on Desura, I kind of thought the game was about finished mechanically, and it would just require polish on the scripted AI and perhaps some additional stories or an editor to create more - I'd have been content with that I think.  I'm very glad that the game has done so well that new features could be added that weren't perhaps originally planned; it has greatly expanded on the long term sandbox gameplay - I'm still somewhat shocked at how well it has grown. The developers are some of the most committed in the industry; work will halt someday, but it will be an interesting time until then. 

Each day, a new word... Thks guys to help me discover this one :P

Feature creep (sometimes known as requirements creep or scope creep) is a tendency for product or project requirements to increase during development beyond those originally foreseen. Feature creep may be driven by a client's growing "wish list" or by developers themselves as they see opportunity for improving the product.

Worst part-slower development.

best part- everything else. The game itself is one of the best I've seen ever, and is pretty original (not in the zombies or setting obviously but in the depth.)

On a side note, I was sifting through youtube vids and found a game called Dead Matter. It looked kinda cool, until I watched the trailer. It's been a while since I've seen it and I can't seem to find it so bear with me if I get a few things wrong.

A. The use a real life area (like project zomboid)

B. The allow you to make your own base and move furniture as well as barricade in pretty much anyway you want (like project zomboid)

C. The premise is to see how long you could survive, and if your plans would work out. (like project zomboid)

D. It is populated by a large number of zombies, with the amount and where being affected by your actions and meta events as well as migration mechanics (like project zomboid)

On top of all of that, it was developed not by an indie group but by a larger company, it has multiplayer (like project zomboid) and is in first person 3d.

And that's why I'm not going to play Dead Matter

p.s. if it's any consolation, the zombies look like crap, stumbling around the screen like crackhead on the hunt

6 minutes ago, Svarog said:

It really is amazingly great all things considered. Pretty much the best community I ever was a part of that's for sure.

As a regular user of both Overwatch's forums and sub forums for Cs;go, this community is heaven for me.
I've been around for..  about a year i think? and i haven't seen a single case of toxicity. But then again, Project zomboid isn't competitive. 

best part the attention to detail. all the way down to actual tree and plant species that grow in the setting, nature reclaiming the remnants of civilization, the real world temperature and snow coverage, blood that turns all the way to a fading black after a while etc.. the sandbox settings too. its the little details that make a game - it always sucks for me to see people dropping a feature because "it takes away development and doesnt add substantial gameplay" because it ends up with a game thats fun to play for a while but with nothing else to it that i eventually drop rather quickly simply cause it has nothing interesting to offer besides gameplay.

this game may have slow development which is frustrating at times, but you cant deny all the detail the devs put in and the features that pretty much everyone else would deem unnecessary and unimpactful to the experience.  when devs care about little things, and blend them into the world with bigger more traditional gameplay etc.. i love that shit. dunno how to put it really but thats that off the top of my dome.

worst part hard to say honestly cause theres a few things in there but i guess my 2 biggest complaints would be the lack of customization and gore visual body damage and immersive melee combat (basically lack of animation update and the wait for it lol) and the roofing of houses.

The game is feature rich and well refined for a game still being developed, with seemingly much more to come. The level of customization with the sandbox settings is one of the best things that has been added in my opinion. It gives you a lot of control over the difficulty and how the overall game plays out. A lot of it meshes really well together, the sounds, the music, the aesthetic. I have no doubt it will end up being an even greater experience than it already is.

The only things that really stick out as straight up negative to me is probably just because it's still being developed. I'd like to see more variety in town and building design, with some truly unique locations with their own challenges to claim and maintain. That and character visuals that show your bag on your back, if you're carrying one in your hand, more clothing and armor options.. I imagine some of that is just a matter of time, and if it doesn't quite completely address it for me in the end, there are going to be mod options.

On 8/3/2017 at 6:29 AM, EnigmaGrey said:

Or in this case driven by contemporaries and expectations within the relatively new survival genre, not to mention real world setting.

Very true on that point - when Project Zomboid was a baby, the genre wasn't as developed and fleshed out as it is now, I suppose it is partly to blame.  As for new words with regard to programming - the terms are always advancing/changing as things get more complex while pretending to be 'easier'.

Archived