Charcter build help/What build do you use your self

bearmasksenpai

Ii seem to be haveing issue you know liveing more then a week atmost (In hardcore btw)

My traits are:

Lucky (-4)

Inconspicuous (-4)

Organized (-6)

Stout (-6)

Outdoorsman (-2)

Dextrous (-2)

Thick Skinned (-6)

Bad:

Cowardly (+2)

Hypochondriac (+2)

Slow Healer (+6)

Sleepyhead (+4)

Weak Stomach (+3)

Hemophobic (+3)

Slow Reader (+2)

Anyway How sould i keep my self safe in project zomboid? does it just take time Or sould i get restless sleeper and phone to illness and get fit and light eater/low thirst (The rest don't seem worth it) I could get Conspicous and you know be noticed But hosty i tryed it and it doesn't play in my flavor

You can get by with almost any traits, just need the right play style.

Think about how you die most, and then avoid those situations. 

Do you fight often? Don't, until you are prepared with lots of weapons, food, and a safe place to recover.

Do you get cornered indoors? Scope out a house thoroughly before you search it. 

Learning how to jaw-stab with knives can get you out of tight situations.

Use guns to your advantage- not for killing, but for luring hordes away from your area.

Find a safe area on the edge of town or out of town at the start

For traits, I usually favour extra Strength for more knockback if I want to fight, or I take lightfooted and graceful if I want to be sneaky. Maxing either can be very effective.

Enjoy your hours of sufferring!

7 hours ago, bearmasksenpai said:

Ii seem to be haveing issue you know liveing more then a week atmost (In hardcore btw)

My traits are:

Lucky (-4)

Inconspicuous (-4)

Organized (-6)

Stout (-6)

Outdoorsman (-2)

Dextrous (-2)

Thick Skinned (-6)

Bad:

Cowardly (+2)

Hypochondriac (+2)

Slow Healer (+6)

Sleepyhead (+4)

Weak Stomach (+3)

Hemophobic (+3)

Slow Reader (+2)

Anyway How sould i keep my self safe in project zomboid? does it just take time Or sould i get restless sleeper and phone to illness and get fit and light eater/low thirst (The rest don't seem worth it) I could get Conspicous and you know be noticed But hosty i tryed it and it doesn't play in my flavor

As others said, most things depends on your playstyle and about real experience. Some genuine situations in PZ are, in fact, deadly.  To your traits list, Outdoorsman is (imo) mandatory ; the others are matters of personnal preference.

From (personnal) experience ;

Lucky is only really needed with "very rare" selected for various ressources (Weapon, Food, Others) in Sandbox [It only affects loot chances] : otherwise (in basic survival, whatever your starter is), it's a +, but you can live without it (but 4 pts is ok for it).

Thick skinned provide some security, but, it didn't matters after all : any zed can, at any time, on a bad roll grant you a zombinfected scar that will lead you to death... (6 pts for it... Not cheap enough).

Hypocondriac is one of the worst trait for 2 pts i thk ; getting illness for any minor wounds is a PAIN in the ass and can't even allow you to judge if you're really zombinfected or not ; forcing your hand to burn your food supply to counter illness symptoms (fake or real ?)... 2 pts for that is REALLY not enough for the big problem it is.

Sleepyhead is a "no". The sleep is a good way to die ; due to forced inactivity, but mostly due to the reduce area of perception. Does not worth, at all, 4 pts. If i may, i even suggest you drop this flaw and take right the opposite perks (which reduce need to sleep). Give you more time to play each day and significantly drop the negative impact of tiredness.

Slow Healer is ok, but don't combine it with Prone to illness (as you suggest) : it's more or less claiming for a death sentence on every and any scratch (giving you more ore less 70% of being zombifincted).

On the Hypocondriac 

There is a really simple way to tell if your gonna become a zombie;

Open heath menu

Speed up time to max

if the heath bar gos down and everythings fixed then your jacked

And the heath bar stays where it is/gos up then your fine

The trait is very worth it because thats a way is a way to tell the moodle does noting

Also sleepyhead is more or less worth it;

You sould only be sleeping somewhere SAFE it doesn't matter the time it takes to sleep Go to bad at around 12:00 And you'll wake up at 8:00 I mean simple really 

Also lucky is worth it You:

Find more food

You are more likey to find bags and axes on zombies

Things like hammers,screwdrivers,saws And with the new update you can now take apart items witch to me is a life safer on planks

Ect

Lucky does infact save your life

DEV QOUTE ABOUT LUCKY:

"If I recall correctly, I believe the lucky trait is mainly for scavenging as the trait can help yield rarer items, like the Axe and Saw and the unlucky trait does the opposite of that. I think it also plays into bites and scratches with the zombies and attacks. I don't think it's OP but you know there's always a possibility when it comes to numbers that it can produce a long string of incredibly lucky occurrences. "

And thick skined can and will safe you

Becuase bites and things become less likey

if your eaten alive you'll only have like what 7 things with the thicked skined

But without it you'll have about 16

And prone to illness is more or less

Speeding up the rate you die Not the rate of becomeing a zombie

Also colds are more likey is all

I've been a long time fan And i know my way around zomboid I'm been a fan ever est it came out on steam i think So back in 2013

Please try to read the wiki And look around

Also for a scratch its about only a 25% chance i belive Maybe even lower And a bite is 100% as we all know

For my police officer character, I typically go with Lucky, Restless Sleeper, Disorganized, Slow Reader, and Inconspicuous. I also sometimes play a carpenter character with the Handy trait, which gives me 4 points in carpentry from the start.  

Just want to mention that hypochondriac can cause fever which can kill you. Not sure if this is still the case but it was for me in a previous build. I survived that fever several times by using sleeping pills and got well fed. But one time I did not have the ressources to do so and it killed me. And I am sure that I was not zombified (I died but I don't turn). I use this very frequently and its free points if you don't get scratched. But during the game you will most likely get scratched and you have a good chance to not get infected with zombification. However with hpochondriac trait you can still have a lot of trouble (and it also can reduce the benefit of thick skin cause you will get the symptoms although you are not infected).

I would not use cowardly cause this can make fighting harder especially at the beginning.

2 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Just want to mention that hypochondriac can cause fever which can kill you. Not sure if this is still the case but it was for me in a previous build. I survived that fever several times by using sleeping pills and got well fed. But one time I did not have the ressources to do so and it killed me. And I am sure that I was not zombified (I died but I don't turn). I use this very frequently and its free points if you don't get scratched. But during the game you will most likely get scratched and you have a good chance to not get infected with zombification. However with hpochondriac trait you can still have a lot of trouble (and it also can reduce the benefit of thick skin cause you will get the symptoms although you are not infected).

I would not use cowardly cause this can make fighting harder especially at the beginning.

Yeah hypochondriac fevers can be brutal, especially when you don't have enough food to stay fed through the worst stages. Fortunately, you start with a minor sickness moodle that gradually develops into a full fever, so there's plenty of time to gather the food necessary to stay fed in order to survive when your health starts dropping. I actually think thick skin and hypochondriac pair well together, as with your skin there's a smaller chance of being wounded by zombies and triggering the hypochondriac trait.

Cowardly impairs your ranged weapon accuracy and narrows the field of view,  but has no effect on melee combat.

I would get rid of the cowardly trait but i can't seem to find a trait that matchs it well

It may be able to kill you but all you need to do is sleep to be host

Its never really brothered me I mean if you got full heath 

then your good until bed time comes around

2 hours ago, daMastaChef said:

Cowardly impairs your ranged weapon accuracy and narrows the field of view,  but has no effect on melee combat.

Cowardly does also impair the accuracy of your melee weapons. So if you panick you reduce the chance to get a good hit at the head and kill the zombies fast. If it takes to long to kill even a single one, more of them are attracted by the fighting noise. And this can lead to troublesome situations. The jaw stab though is not influenced by the panick moodle and therefore cowardly has no effect on this.

Edit: So get rid of cowardly and you might survive longer. Dextrous is not really necessary although it is a nice trait.

Can you give more details on the situations which kill you within one week. I assume you just get scratched or bitten by zombies. As others said the best thing is to avoid the fight as often as possible. Look for single isolated zombies to train your skills first. You should only attack more than one zombies if you have a proper weapon (baseball but or axe). Don't forget to use the "space" key while fighting. If you have a weapon equipped it allows you to boot zombies on the ground instead of hitting them. This saves you time if you are fighting more than one. If you don't have a proper weapon, never use forkes or spoons. Use bare hands. Its more efficient at the beginning. Learning how to do the jaw stab is very useful. You can kill only one zombie at the same time and need to line them up if there are more than one. But the butter knife will soon become your best friend.

Edit: You need to stay out of the line of sight. If they are coming for you its fine to runaround a corner or through woods then stop running so you don't make noise and get rid of zombies following you.

Regarding traits, get rid of cowardly and drop dextrous as well. It is not that much helpful cause usually you don't have large bags at the beginning that can hold all the stuff. Although it is useful especially for organizing your safe house if you have lots of stuff or quickly looting, it does not provide a lot of benefit in the first week.

Yes but what can i replace cowardly with?

Also dextrous seems worth it i won't really be removeing it because with lucky you can find a bag rather fast

Also i'm awhere of the whole knife thing even i do it please stop repeating info i do read your posts Also like everyone knows the space bar thing

You have to rember been a fan est the game came out on steam

i only just got it but i know my way around

Why do you need to replace cowardly? Well I can understand that you like to keep all of the positive traits. However, they don't provide much benefit as long as you don't survive longer than 1 week.

I usually don't use that much traits. I play with different chars but my favourite is a park ranger with lucky, hemophobic, hypochondriac and week stomach. The park ranger profession provides me with all the basics I need for long term survival like foraging, trapping and carpentry. Almost all of my chars survive 12 month or longer till I abandon them cause I get bored. Well of course some chars die earlier cause I didn't pay enough attention and forget to carfully check and get scratched or bitten by zombies hidden behind doors. But this happens rarely. Even in survival mode with rare loot I have more stuff than I can use in 10 years. So you really don't need to worry about that.

I can only recommend you to figure out why you are dying although you know all the fighting basics. And try to find a work around. As trombonaught said surviving does not depend on your traits. They just make things harder or easier depending on your play style.

Archived