Trains

Gurluas

So with the addition of Vehicles, Trains are becoming a real possibility. Just as how you can now find and fix cars, you should be able to find and fix trains. Trains unlike Cars would only be able to travel on Traintracks. Train tracks should also become craftable and removeable with a high carpentry and metalworking stat.

Trains will be faster than cars and can have wagons so that you can put your stuff into them, but as said, they are limited to Train tracks only, and crafting new Train tracks is meant to be very expensive and time consuming. To use a Train you also need to find a manual, just like you would with Generators. Trains can be found in the railyard by Muldraugh.

Like with Cars, a large Horde will stop a train but not as fast as it would a car. Trains can be derailed if too big a Horde blocks the tracks or if someone sabotages the tracks, if they are derailed they are likely to explode killing the occupant, or at the very least become broken and unusable.

I personally love trains and I'd love to be able to use one :3

Once Louisville is added, Trains will be really cool, especially if Louisville has a big train station.

Edited by Gurluas

I like additional transportation methods as much as the next guy, but...

Building train tracks that are actually going to keep a train on the tracks is an entire other story and probably far out of this game's league.

I'd love to be able to use trains but this (crafting train tracks) is not a realistically feasible thing outside of minecraft.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

16 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Building train tracks that are actually going to keep a train on the tracks is an entire other story and probably far out of this game's league.

I'd love to be able to use trains but this (crafting train tracks) is not a realistically feasible thing outside of minecraft.

Why not use usual train tracks?

23 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Crafting train tracks would require a mold, sawed logs, and the steel tracks themselves. Something that a very skilled carpenter and metalworker can definitely do, and it'd give Metalworking more use, I mean sure it's not industrial tracks but still..

Either that or have train tracks components spawn somewhere in the railyard, and make it possible to assemble them.

The reason why I want train tracks to be placeable is because you can destroy the railway with a sledgehammer and then there is no way to rebuild it. On a multiplayer server this would be really annoying since any troll can destroy the rails and there is no way to restore the tracks.

Edited by Gurluas

4 hours ago, Gurluas said:

Crafting train tracks would require a mold, sawed logs, and the steel tracks themselves. Something that a very skilled carpenter and metalworker can definitely do, and it'd give Metalworking more use, I mean sure it's not industrial tracks but still..

Either that or have train tracks components spawn somewhere in the railyard, and make it possible to assemble them.

The reason why I want train tracks to be placeable is because you can destroy the railway with a sledgehammer and then there is no way to rebuild it. On a multiplayer server this would be really annoying since any troll can destroy the rails and there is no way to restore the tracks.

That's not how building a railroad, let alone a rail, works.

Railway rails are subject to very high stresses and have to be made of very high-quality steel alloy. It took many decades to improve the quality of the materials, including the change from iron to steel.

Placing tracks by hand, an ultimate generous maybe assuming the game wants to reach so far to assume there are people out there with that knowledge and also that those same people would include building a new railway as part of their "how to survive" plan.

Building your own railway is something I'd never see in this game, a mod possibly. Manufacturing your own parts in any sense of realism should be a definite 'know' unless they decide for some reason to expand into this (and a lot of hurdles to get over first regarding getting the equipment).

Edited by Kim Jong Un

On 27/7/2017 at 3:29 AM, Kim Jong Un said:

That's not how building a railroad, let alone a rail, works.

Railway rails are subject to very high stresses and have to be made of very high-quality steel alloy. It took many decades to improve the quality of the materials, including the change from iron to steel.

Placing tracks by hand, an ultimate generous maybe assuming the game wants to reach so far to assume there are people out there with that knowledge and also that those same people would include building a new railway as part of their "how to survive" plan.

Building your own railway is something I'd never see in this game, a mod possibly. Manufacturing your own parts in any sense of realism should be a definite 'know' unless they decide for some reason to expand into this (and a lot of hurdles to get over first regarding getting the equipment).

In that case, finding the rail parts in the Train yard and other industrial areas should be alright.

As for the difficulty in placing them.. I think it's possible if you make it require level 10 Carpentry and Metalworking, it's not an easy thing to get and it makes it difficult enough to place new tracks, but it should still be possible incase someone wrecks the railway.

Yeah, building your own railroad just seems beyond possibility for me. Having 10 in 2 skills doesn't make it more realistic, it just makes it gamey.

It's better balance to just limit it to what the map offers and then block the tracks from sledgehammer destruction. 

As cool as it would be to build your own railroad, you have to remember that you are talking about a game that goes as deep as clearing window panes before climbing through is safe.

It's best to just save building them for the map-makers, whether creative mode or not.

Riding a train would also be cool but there is so much world items that need to be integrated in order for it to actually work.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

41 minutes ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Yeah, building your own railroad just seems beyond possibility for me. Having 10 in 2 skills doesn't make it more realistic, it just makes it gamey.

It's better balance to just limit it to what the map offers and then block the tracks from sledgehammer destruction. 

As cool as it would be to build your own railroad, you have to remember that you are talking about a game that goes as deep as clearing window panes before climbing through is safe.

It's best to just save building them for the map-makers, whether creative mode or not.

Riding a train would also be cool but there is so much world items that need to be integrated in order for it to actually work.

Protecting tracks would work too I suppose. Remember though, Railways have been build since the early 19th century.

920x920.jpg You has simple people with shovels laying down tracks, so it wouldn't be too unfeasible if you actually find the materials pre-crafted already. 

As for train riding, I think the Vehicle system they recently added can be the backbone for it. Each wagon would be a "Car" connected to the "Car" ahead of it, and the Locomotive would be the one that you use to steer the Train.

Over the years, trains got faster, longer, as did the required quality materials placed in the right way to keep these massive, heavy beasts actually on the track. There's a lot more to it than a bunch of simple people laying down track.

Regardless of what they did in the 30s building a new railroad that is going to support your average 90's freight train isn't something you can casually do regardless of how simple old timey photos make it look.

It's not a realistic feature to support having and requires too many new hoops, and interest from the playerbase to justify it. Being a welder and a carpenter doesn't cover the massive manpower and equipment it needs to be feasible, and letting the player find massive, heavy pre-crafted materials from one place on the map isn't going to justify it.

I don't think anybody is going to argue that having trains is going to somehow hamper the game. There's a track system in place. 

Unfortunately the current vehicle system really isn't a good backbone for it, rather having the physics for vehicles (weight and momentum) is a good start. You don't really steer a train, you just control the speed, the game would need to program rails, rail stress, trailers and a plethora of other hoops to go through before it becomes a possibility.

So riding a train? Yeah, why not. But it's not going to come soon and as the development stands now we aren't close to it.

Building a railroad in a game where the player is by themselves most of the time? It's just not feasible, and that's all there is to it. Wasted effort.

Building a railroad is something to be left to creative mode, not a whole line of new gameplay mechanics for this super-specific thing. Building a railway just isn't part of the long-term survival plan, let alone short-term survival plan, which seems to be the game's current focus.

This (building a railway) is something I could see as a mod, and that's if trains are added.

I don't mean to be that asshole that just rains on parades but building a railroad in this kind of direct-survival game just seems like a fantasy for now. It's a creative mode feature, not something you should be able to do as a single person.

The map already has train tracks that will presumably go through the towns and major locations, you could always just use those.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

Well as long as the tracks can be protected I don't mind if train tracks aren't craftable.

And well as I said it's a start. Remember that Zomboid is a simple game, so you shouldn't make the Train system too complicated.

Also I don't think there would be 90's trains here.

Zomboid takes place in the early 90s, so it's more likely to have trains from the 80's and 70's.

It was normal for Rural areas to use older train models.

Edited by Gurluas

1 hour ago, Gurluas said:

Well as long as the tracks can be protected I don't mind if train tracks aren't craftable.

And well as I said it's a start. Remember that Zomboid is a simple game, so you shouldn't make the Train system too complicated.

Also I don't think there would be 90's trains here.

Zomboid takes place in the early 90s, so it's more likely to have trains from the 80's and 70's.

It was normal for Rural areas to use older train models.

When I said "average 90s freight train" I didn't mean "freight trains from the 90s". Trains you would typically see in the 90s... which are faster, heavier, and capable to be much longer than those of the 1930s, so my previous points still stand.

Also "rural areas using older models" is a bit of a misnomer of information as freight train routes aren't exactly from one town to the next and back. That is dependent on the freight/transport company and it's fleet.

Anyways I think I've said all I can on this subject. I hope trains do get added to PZ but I would hate to see a railroad construction system that both unbalances gameplay/realism and doesn't do the trade justice.

2 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

When I said "average 90s freight train" I didn't mean "freight trains from the 90s". Trains you would typically see in the 90s... which are faster, heavier, and capable to be much longer than those of the 1930s, so my previous points still stand.

Also "rural areas using older models" is a bit of a misnomer of information as freight train routes aren't exactly from one town to the next and back. That is dependent on the freight/transport company and it's fleet.

Anyways I think I've said all I can on this subject. I hope trains do get added to PZ but I would hate to see a railroad construction system that both unbalances gameplay/realism and doesn't do the trade justice.

Likewise, the railway construction thing was just an idea, the main thing I want added is to be able to ride trains.

• 2 weeks later...